Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 03:26 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times

Advertisements

I have only noticed horizontel dryer vents. Can they be placed in a vertical position? We have an issue with how our vent is built. The laundry room is between the kitchen and the garage. The vent is positioned along the wall of the garage and exits the home about five feet away from the garage door. The entry way to the home is maybe 12 feet from that point. I would love to reposition the vent and have it exit out of the roof heading in a vertical format. I can't seem to find a code that states it can not be set up in that format.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 03:44 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,499 times
Fire hazzard.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:10 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Laundry room dryer vents
Can they be placed in a vertical position? YES... up to a certain point.

I would love to reposition the vent and have it exit out of the roof...
How far above the dryer is the roof line?
Even at single story... that is likely to be 10-14 feet above the dryer outlet.

I think you'll need a booster fan:
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/4-in-tu...l#.UM-nAramBJE

Old 12-17-2012, 04:12 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
.... I would love to reposition the vent and have it exit out of the roof heading in a vertical format. I can't seem to find a code that states it can not be set up in that format.

Bacause of the heat generated, you'd have to build a fireplace flue so you don't burn the house down.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:17 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,914,437 times
We run them out of the roof all the time. Code here is that the run cannot be over 25 total feet. For each 90 degree turn, subtract 3 feet from the max length. That usually gives you more than enough vertical length to get thru the roof safely. We use a common roof jack to water seal the pipe. I would also check with local codes as they may differ from ours.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:54 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
I have only noticed horizontel dryer vents. Can they be placed in a vertical position? We have an issue with how our vent is built. The laundry room is between the kitchen and the garage. The vent is positioned along the wall of the garage and exits the home about five feet away from the garage door. The entry way to the home is maybe 12 feet from that point. I would love to reposition the vent and have it exit out of the roof heading in a vertical format. I can't seem to find a code that states it can not be set up in that format.
If it's any help they can usually be reconfigured to exit out the side of the dryer or downwards through the floor. The shorter the length of pipe the more efficient it is and the less prone it is to being a fire hazard.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:04 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,293,104 times
There is no problem going vertical (for reasonable distance) except they can built up lint, so they will need to be cleaned out periodically. It has to be a metal duct, and not have any screws used to hold it together.
The building code does allow vertical vents, by the way.
If you are going to have several elbows, or the length is too long, then install a booster fan. It's not a bad idea to install a booster fan anyway. It will make the dryer vent a lot better

Old 12-17-2012, 06:42 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,914,437 times
Quote:
The building code does allow vertical vents, by the way.
Not sure where you got his from but vertical is just fine in IRC. WE are still using IRC 2003 here and the specs I posted are correct for that spec. But they apparently have changes somewhat in regards to the penalty paid for the elbows. Here's the code as it is currently.
http://www.structuretech1.com/wp-con...er-Exhaust.pdf

FWIW, this was looked at back in the 90s by the NY Fire Dept which is considered THE expert in fire prevention. From their reports, the newer appliances, since the early 90's have a max operating temp of 90C in the drum, not the exhaust temp, as recommended by NYFD. Any fire hazard is going to come from any lint buildup, not from the vent stack touching any wood. From the Dept of Agriculture who tested plywood and it's exposure to heat found that plywood would not combust at temps of 150C even after 1050 hours of exposure. Solid wood will out perform plywood as the glue line is more combustible than the wood itself. As long as the H/O maintains the dryer vent, it's not a fire hazard. Yeah, I know, some folks don't even fix water leaks.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:36 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Yep,
Hasn't changed in quite awhile- 25' total 2.5/5.0 per 45&90.

The main thing to remember about roof vents for dryers- another roof penetration means another means of a possible leak. And there is a couple of others- black shingles will show the lint that sticks to them and the specific roof vents for dryers isn't exactly the most pleasing wart on a roof especially if its on the front elevation.
I know, been there-done that!
I had a plan that I built, and the only way I could get the dryer vent to pass code was to have the wart on the front elevation.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:56 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
This is for a single story home. At the point of exit it would be about 12 feet above ground level.

Here are my alternatives for this dryer vent.

1. Keep it where it currently terminates near the main entrance to the home

2. Install a vertical vent above the roof.

3. Run a vertical run into the ceiling. Put a 90 degree turn and have the vent terminate on the exterior wall. The laundry room has a half bath attatched to it.

If you walk into the laundry room their is a door to a half bath along the west wall of the home.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 12-18-2012 at 12:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House