Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 12:24 PM

41 posts, read 558,945 times

Advertisements

The old washer and dryer died so we are replacing with new front loaders on pedistals. Our laundry room is roughly 6' x 7' and is set up with a sink (cheap fiberglass with fiber glass legs) on the left then the washer in the middle and dryer on the right. This is all along the longer wall. The door to enter the laundry room is right in front of the dryer, that is, if you go straight through the door you would run into the dryer. The wall to the left in currently empty although we do keep a trashcan in the unused corner.

For a redesign I was thinking of running a cabinet and counter top along the whole 6' wall on the left. I would put a sink on the left hand side of the counter. The new washer and dryer would go where the current ones are.

Does this sound like a good use of space? Would you do it different? It will be hard to get to and use the counter to the left of the washer but I figure we can at least keep a laundry basket there and use the middle part of the counter for folding.

Please keep in mind I am trying to do this for as little $$$ as possible.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 06:42 AM

Has anyone else on here run their countertops perpendicular to the washer & dryer like this?

Old 05-23-2010, 08:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
The most important thing about a laundry room design is making sure there is a permanent place for the ironing board.

Don't put so many counters into the laundry room that there is nowhere to keep your ironing board up all the time. It's a pain to take an ironing board down and up as needed.

The entire PURPOSE of a laundry room is so you can keep everything set up and easily accessible, not stored away.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:06 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The most important thing about a laundry room design is making sure there is a permanent place for the ironing board.

Don't put so many counters into the laundry room that there is nowhere to keep your ironing board up all the time. It's a pain to take an ironing board down and up as needed.

The entire PURPOSE of a laundry room is so you can keep everything set up and easily accessible, not stored away.
I have never kept an ironing board in the laundry room. I do all of my ironing in my bedroom.

cgar22--as long as you can maneuver in the room your layout should work. You don't want to move the machines because rerouting the plumbing will be expensive. You can get a length of countertop at any of the box stores for about $70 cut to size. Would it make a difference to leave the sink where it is? Can you put in more counterspace by turning the corner with the counter. Can you post a picture so we can see the space?

Old 05-23-2010, 10:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Everyone has their own priorities. I would much rather keep my ironing board up all the time in the laundry room instead of having to pull it out to do ironing in the bedroom. I do lots of ironing touch ups---before I put on my clothes---even if they were ironed earlier because they get wrinkled while stored in the closet or drawer. I do NOT want to pull my ironing board out once a day. I would much rather it be set up somewhere in the house permanently. Before I had a laundry room, my ironing board was ALWAYS sitting in my bedroom because I simply did not have the time to pull it out and put it away every morning. And I HATED walking around it.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:07 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Take a hint from the houses built a long time ago - put an ironing board in the wall while you're designing/constructing the room. Down when you need it, up out of the way when you don't.

My Mom called it the Murphy Board

Old 05-23-2010, 07:33 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Everyone has their own priorities. I would much rather keep my ironing board up all the time in the laundry room instead of having to pull it out to do ironing in the bedroom. I do lots of ironing touch ups---before I put on my clothes---even if they were ironed earlier because they get wrinkled while stored in the closet or drawer. I do NOT want to pull my ironing board out once a day. I would much rather it be set up somewhere in the house permanently. Before I had a laundry room, my ironing board was ALWAYS sitting in my bedroom because I simply did not have the time to pull it out and put it away every morning. And I HATED walking around it.
My ironing board is in my closet so it isn't in the way and even if I kept it in my bedroom, there is plenty of room to keep it up and not walk around it.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:49 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
If I'm understanding your description, there's going to be a dead space where the perpendicular counter is blocked by the adjacent appliance. I would try to avoid that, since it will just collect dust and lint. Also, I would want to at least take advantage of vertical space, more than just putting in a countertop. Adjustable shelves above the counter for detergent or stain treater or whatever, and rolling laundry carts that can be pushed under the counter.

As for the ironing board debate, I'd probably want a wall-mounted one that I could fold up and get out of the way when I wasn't using it.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:59 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Forget the pedestals. That's $400 that can go elsewhere.
Without the pedestals you can run a counter top across the washer and dryer, and through the sink area- replace the free-standing laundry tub with a drop-in tub. Install a bank of wall cabinets above the washer and dryer and a hanging rod above the sink (for drip drying).
And if you wanted a little more storage- you could probably put a 12" deep pantry cabinet in the other corner.

The other scenario I see (if floor space was an issue), stack the washer and dryer and create counter space/pantry space.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:09 AM

While , I 100% agree about skipping the pedistals...that is not a decision that I am allowed to make.

Yes there will be a dead space in the corner I was thinking about just keeping a basket for dirty laundry.

In general, how much space do you leave for the washer and dryer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House