Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 06:58 AM

31 posts, read 43,099 times

Advertisements

I am looking at getting married in about 4 months. My fiance will be moving into the house I currently live in, it has always been in my families name, it used to be my parents. To say she wants to rearrange a few things are putting it lightly. In her defense, I know she wants it to feel like home and not just like my parents old home, but it sometimes is tough for me too when I have always been happy with the way things are and most of the stuff she wants to do involves spending lots of my money.

The question I am wondering about is in regard to the king size bed in the bedroom. She wants to turn the bed around 180 degrees in the interest of better accomadating new bedroom furniture and a TV. In that case, the head of the bed will now be up against a wall that has a window. It will not be blocking the window, but will definitely be right next to it as it is a king size bed and not a huge bedroom. I rarely, if ever, have seen the head of the bed up against a wall with a window. She of course is showing me all kinds of online examples and thinks it is completely normal. I thought I read somewhere it is not good feng shui, although I am not so sure I go along with all that. Not to mention the bed would now be very tightly squeezed up against a radiator on one side. I have always slept in beds up against the wall with no windows, I have never seen that in person.

Long story short, I am not happy with the change and she thinks I am making a big deal over nothing. Any thoughts out there on the subject? We are both pretty stubborn and I am almost just willing to try it to avoid any uneeded stress (enough of that preparing for a wedding!) Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 07:09 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
You know, my reply might be a little off topic, but if the two of you are at odds about arranging furniture I wonder how the really big discussions will go. Having children, relocation, possibly taking care of ill or aged parents some day?

You stated you are both stubborn, you mentioned money issues. I think some things need to be settled before you get married rather than after. There will be much more important decisions down the road than the location of your bed.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
You know, my reply might be a little off topic, but if the two of you are at odds about arranging furniture I wonder how the really big discussions will go. Having children, relocation, possibly taking care of ill or aged parents some day?

You stated you are both stubborn, you mentioned money issues. I think some things need to be settled before you get married rather than after. There will be much more important decisions down the road than the location of your bed.
No kids in the future, that is one decision...

Old 12-26-2012, 07:19 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsed1 View Post
Long story short, I am not happy with the change and she thinks I am making a big deal over nothing. We are both pretty stubborn and I am almost just willing to try it...
Any thoughts out there on the subject?
Yeah... The furniture is NOT the problem.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:20 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,299,067 times
We have a fairly large master bedroom, and have three walls the bed could go against. Over the course of the past 18 years, we have had the head of the bed on all three.

The best place for us has been on the wall with the windows.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:21 AM

Yes, we are working through some issues, but does anyone have any thoughts on the bed placement? It is a legitimate question I have been thinking of

Old 12-26-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
We have a fairly large master bedroom, and have three walls the bed could go against. Over the course of the past 18 years, we have had the head of the bed on all three.

Thank you for the input

Old 12-26-2012, 07:32 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,987,535 times
My bed is between two windows because the the many dressers work better on the solid wall. I'm generally happy with it like this, but since the windows face east, it's sometimes very bright in the morning, but that could be easily remedied with different window treatments. Also, sometimes I'd rather not have the bed facing the door, but I have small children. When I first saw the room, I immediately imagined the bed between the windows and that's what I did. Give it a try. It's easy enough to rearrange later if necessary.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:33 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post

Absolutely agree... best place is between the windows. Also have a fairly large MB in one of the houses (about 1K ft^2). bed goes where you stated, away from the doorway, and then put in a sitting area, and entertainment/video area. But as the other posters stated, I think there are more issues of concern.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:34 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times
I usually prefer the head of the bed to be against the longest wall in the room, assuming there is no door to the outside or closet on that wall. The headboard is usually the room's focal point. (For this same reason, many people like to put their bed in the center of the wall opposite the entrance to the room - so you see the focal point immediately.)

While I have seen beds placed near a window that wouldn't be my preference, beause I wouldn't want a draft. More commonly I see beds set between two windows, which looks nice. I also wouldn't want it close to a radiator.

I hope you find a design that makes you both happy.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House