Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 04:17 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,738 times

Advertisements

Is there some kind of polish or treatment that would darken the wood with continued use? I feel that the trim and woodwork in my home is too light and wonder if there is some type of polish I could regularly apply that will penetrate the finish somewhat and slowly darken it over the years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 04:57 PM

22,572 posts, read 47,633,000 times
What finish is on the wood?

Old 01-16-2013, 05:48 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,648,565 times
The answer is no. If you wish to darken finished wood, the only way is UV rays. Taking it all off and placing it in the sun for 2-3 days will do it but obviously that is impractical. Buying a UV light and placing it 12" from the wood and moving it every 2-3 days is just as ridicules.

Your only hope to darken stained woodwork is to buy a gel or non penetrating stain. Most stain is penetrating meaning it penetrates the wood, then you seal it with a polyurethane clear coat. Since your wood has a clear coat, a penetrating stain will not penetrate. A gel stain will sit on the surface and dry, just like paint does.

That's your only answer other then simply painting the stained woodwork. And that is a mortal sin for those who love wood.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:55 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,545,468 times
actually wouldn't UV rays lighten a lot of woods?? (Cherry seems to darken, but a lot of other woods seem to bleach in the sunlight)..

I'm afraid if you want darker wood trim, you'll either need to replace what you have, or strip and restain it.

And while stripping/restaining might be the cheaper option, it is a decent amount of work - especially for someone who doesn't do this on a regular basis.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,648,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
actually wouldn't UV rays lighten a lot of woods?? (Cherry seems to darken, but a lot of other woods seem to bleach in the sunlight)..

I'm afraid if you want darker wood trim, you'll either need to replace what you have, or strip and restain it.

And while stripping/restaining might be the cheaper option, it is a decent amount of work - especially for someone who doesn't do this on a regular basis.
Often times when a cabinet door or 2 appeared light compared to everything else and the customer beefed about it, we'd put the door/s outside in the sun for a couple days. They would darken to the desired shade to match.

Yes cherry darkens the most and the fastest but maple and oak also darken in the sun.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:49 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
...wonder if there is some type of polish I could regularly apply that will penetrate the finish somewhat and slowly darken it over the years?

There is- more in a second.
Not knowing what the topcoat is on your woodwork (lacquer, shellac, poly, etc.) most "penetrating" stains would probably NOT. So, how do we achieve darkening without the benefit of penetrating the surface? One answer was given- gel stain. And that's just as messy (usually more so) than regular stain.

The answer is: Briwax.
There was just another thread in the last few days about Briwax. It comes in several different colors, and with continuous use you can significantly darken wood trim without all the fuss of sanding and restraining as previously mentioned.
Once you get to the desired color shade you can maintain the luster by buffing.
It's not polish, but it will certainly give you the desired effect.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:22 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,738 times
Thanks for the information. It's probably a poly finish. Ill get some briwax and try it out.

Btw, the funny thing is that there was a leaky window where a valley and eve on the roof channeled a torrent of water at the window before I put on a gutter and splashguard; the 'water damaged' casing around that window now has a beautiful dark and rich color to it (yeah its probably partially rotten). That is the color i'm going to try and match for the rest of the trim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House