Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 02:46 PM

39 posts, read 81,686 times

Advertisements

Such as the picture shown. Will it be difficult to level the floor as living room? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 03:06 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Maybe, maybe not.

You quoted on the NY forum-
"It's a coop, I'm waiting to heard back from the agent about the re-modeling. No sure how much it will cost me, if it will be over 20K, I would like to use it to negotiating the price too."

It depends- it could be just a raised platform($), easy to take out but you still have to match the flooring($$$).
Then again- it could be some kind of cover for a structural, or mechanical issue($$$$).

Then there's all the Bureaucratic BS that you have to go through with the board, city- if a permit is required, subcontractors, disposal fees, Weird access hrs for the elevator (if one is involved), a few greased palms here or there- like the Super. it really starts getting very expensive!!!

If it's going to eventually by a rental, and your stay is 2 or less years- I'd probably just live with it.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:24 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
My take is similar to K'ledgeBldr but more blunt -- you'd be nuts to move forward with this if you cannot live with the step.

Frankly I suspect that there are some "infrastructure" issues that a previous owner decided to address by building up the platform, likely involving plumbing to the kitchen and / or bath. If you build out the platform to make the living room level with the kitchen that will rob the whole unit of height, create issues for hollow sounding floors and STILL have something funky around the entrace area. If you tear out the whole platform and find some funky plumbing issues that could literally be a six-figure budget buster...

If you can't envision a nice little desk or reading area outside the kithen on the platform I would find another unit. Personally if the unit is otherwise meeting your needs I would focus on what sorts of design solutions would maximize the utility of the platform...

Old 02-05-2013, 05:46 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,108 times
i think it's charming. use it to your advantage!

Old 02-11-2013, 06:34 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,874 times
Stripper pole?

Old 02-11-2013, 06:50 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
Can you drill a hole in a spot and scope in to see what is under the floor? My home has a sunken living room and a raised kitchen. It's just a step but mighty dangerous. They have been several falls. One of our party guest was quite badly hurt. I dislike that feature about our place. Your is much more simple and Iwoukd be tempted to lower the floor if you an be sure there's not anything underneath needing to be repositioned.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
You'd be crazy to spend so much money doing that. It has character the way it is.

I too suspect there is plumbing under it. If you can't live with the platform, walk away.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:34 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,108 times
you will have a LOT of work ahead of you if you try to remove this. you understand that the KITCHEN is raised. there are all kinds of pipes and wiring in that step...also it doesnt specify if this is an apartment/condo or home, in which case you just might not be allowed to change it.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:38 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,901,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritkey View Post

Such as the picture shown. Will it be difficult to level the floor as living room? Thanks!
Do you want to remove just the platform and keep whatever is on the other side of the door (presumably the kitchen) as is (a step-up) or make everything flat?

I think it looks fine as it is, and you should decorate with the step in mind.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:35 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,480,862 times
I guess maybe that qualifies as a dining room in New York .

Unless making the dining room floor level with the living room floor is doable/inexpensive - I'd pass. I can just see people pushing their chairs back from the dining room table - falling backwards - and hitting their heads on the floor. I am not as much concerned about the difference in levels between the kitchen and the "dining room" (although I'm not thrilled with the difference) - since you can always do something on the floor to highlight the "step up/down" to prevent falls. If you wind up buying this place - I'd definitely put up a railing around the "dining room" area.

Keep in mind that with a difference like this in terms of floor levels - you'll be limiting your potential pool of renters. Older and disabled people wouldn't want to live in a place like this.

FWIW - I'm a retired personal injury lawyer - from Miami. We were good - but those personal injury lawyers in New York - they're like sharks circling when someone gets hurt. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House