Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:54 AM

123 posts, read 567,728 times

Advertisements

What is the best material to use to build a deck? Want something that will last a long time and not bad much maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 10:03 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,514,785 times
Trex will cost you more up front...but lasts at least 20 years (probably more)

If you do go with wood...cedar probably has the best lifespan and is more bug resistant.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:18 AM

553 posts, read 1,632,566 times
Wood is so much maintenance! It needs to be power-washed, sanded, stained, sealed, etc. We have a patio now, but if we had to build a deck I would choose Trex over wood any day. Trex is low maintenance and it looks pretty good installed.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:03 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,027,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny826 View Post
What is the best material to use to build a deck? Want something that will last a long time and not bad much maintenance.

Steel and Concrete!

Old 04-05-2011, 01:43 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,594,883 times
I think it also depends on the climate where it will be built. I was contemplating redoing my deck last summer when I researched composite material decking. I love the idea of the low maintenance but found the product to possibly be slippery when wet. I specifically wanted a gray color so that limited my choices. Also if you choose pvc decking make sure their aren't any issues with keeping vinyl products on your deck. Here's what I mean:

Quote:
TimberTech Tip: TimberTech does not recommend the use of vinyl or rubber products on any XLM deck planks. Items such as rubber-backed welcome mats, vinyl plastic swimming pools, garden hoses, planters, etc. may have a reaction that commonly occurs with PVC decking, creating a discoloration on the deck. Please refrain from leaving items with a rubber or vinyl composition stationary on XLM decking
I live in a dry climate so the issue with mold/mildew wasn't a concern. But I think that could be a concern if you lived in a humid area.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:47 PM

230 posts, read 1,215,443 times
We went with Azek decking, which is basically PVC....and couldn't be happier. Not much of a price difference compared to Trex, and it does not scratch, stain, etc. Every Trex deck I've seen also gets mold after a few years. I think there are other brands besides Azek that do the PVC-style decking, but that is the most popular one I know. Check them out, but I agree that would decks are too much maintenance, and they start to look old and crusty after 5-7 years.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:36 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,027,504 times
Concrete and steel "IS" the lowest maintenance materials you'll find. But, if you were referring to composite decking- as everyone else seems to think you have implied, then check this out-
Products > Composite Decking > Horizon Decking | Composite Decking, Fencing, Deck Railing Products - Fiberon
GAF DuraLife Decking (http://www.gaf.com/decking/decking.aspx - broken link)
TimberTech - XLM - PVC decking, synthetic decking
NewTechWood-Home
The largest majority of deck builders prefer-
Best Alternative to Wood & Composite Decks | Cellular PVC Deck Boards | AZEK
The least liked- Trex. Yes, it's probably the most recognized name in the composite decking market- Great advertising campaign and the first commercially manufactured composite decking.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:40 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Masonry, concrete or plastic. Wood is so crummy now that many good contractors will not even build a deck with wood (unless you use quality salvaged wood from Pre-1970, preferably pre-1950). Treated wood can no longer be treated withthe chemicals that really make it last. What they rell as "Redwood, is mostly died pine, but even the true redwood is not heart wood and is certainly not old growth and has little rot resistance and little strength. You will not be happy with wood. Many of the plastics are made to look so much like wood that you need to cut it to tell the difference. Many of them are made of recycled materials. Personally, I would choose recycled plastics.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:39 AM

123 posts, read 567,728 times
What is the difference between Horizon Decking, Timber Tech-XLM and Azek brand? We live in New York and not sure which is the best product to use. Are these pvc/composite deck cost more than Trek?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Concrete and steel "IS" the lowest maintenance materials you'll find. But, if you were referring to composite decking- as everyone else seems to think you have implied, then check this out-
Products > Composite Decking > Horizon Decking | Composite Decking, Fencing, Deck Railing Products - Fiberon
GAF DuraLife Decking (http://www.gaf.com/decking/decking.aspx - broken link)
TimberTech - XLM - PVC decking, synthetic decking
NewTechWood-Home
The largest majority of deck builders prefer-
Best Alternative to Wood & Composite Decks | Cellular PVC Deck Boards | AZEK
The least liked- Trex. Yes, it's probably the most recognized name in the composite decking market- Great advertising campaign and the first commercially manufactured composite decking.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:13 PM

674 posts, read 1,458,750 times
I redid mine with redwood two seasons ago and am thrilled with it.

It's work, but what isn't? If you're building it yourself you'll be fine with the few hours of upkeep a year... just like your fence or whatever else.

Personally I spend far more time on my stupid lawn in one week than I do maintaining my deck in one year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House