Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:38 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Did this house pass any kind of inspection? It looks like there are tons of code violations.
In 1959 code standards were very minimal; and not knowing the location of the house would further dilute your statement- there may have been no inspection process where it was built in 1959.

And it has nothing to do with OP's thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 09:43 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
In 1959 code standards were very minimal; and not knowing the location of the house would further dilute your statement- there may have been no inspection process where it was built in 1959.

And it has nothing to do with OP's thread.
Except this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I bought a house last winter. So if you were in my shoes what would you do?

Old 05-17-2013, 12:02 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
We have gotten relief from excessive heat in a bonus room by installing attic fans which are on a thermostat. They suck the hot air out if the attic goes over 110. It definitely needs more insulation too.
At a local home show, a company was selling total foam insulation for attics. I don't know if this is expensive or good, but he was very convincing.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:16 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times
I appreciate the posts. My first goal is to get that door sealed off better. I got some ideas from you all and people I know.

Once that is done hopefully I see some what of an improvement. I put my hands on the walls and I really don't get a warm feeling at all. But when I put my hand on the white door it's def warm. So I think that's contributing more than anything.

I don't plan on storing anything in that part of the attic but will ultimately still need to make it available as I'm sure there will be times when I need to go in there for whatever reason.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:17 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Except this:
I had a qualified home inspector look at it. He looked at both attics. I am not sure what violations you see. Most of the wires shown are internet and cable wires that we put in there so it's not like live hot wires are dangling

A lot of the attic is dirty from when the new roof was put in a couple years ago. So that's why a lot of the insulation looks black.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:21 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
Reminds me of the attic in the 1959 home I live in when I first bought it. I added new insulation and had the venting/air flow ( it had very little) corrected. This resulted in a huge improvement in comfort and a lower electric bill. Next step is having the roof decked w/ Techshield or equivalent when I replace the roof this fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House