Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 03:12 PM

794 posts, read 1,671,135 times

Advertisements

How many of you EVER filed a claim for your home? Are there any hidden benefits other than the obvious disaster ones? I know, I know that its VERY important to have it, just wondering if their are other advantages of having it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 03:21 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Default Disaster is only one reason

Liability insurance.
Which is more likely: a visitor falling or your house burning down?

Old 08-04-2013, 03:27 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,874,625 times
Only claim we filed was when our neighbor's garage burned due to a power surge that fried something plugged into the outlets. Their garage, a boat inside it, and two vehicles - one a 3 week old Acura, were toast. They had over $170K of damage to just the house due to smoke damage from the smoke that filled their house through the breezeway. It was not sealed off to isolate the garage attic from the house attic. They were out of the house for over 3 months.

We had our siding damaged -24' of hardie plank that cracked into pieces, and the roof was damaged along with the fence between us, light fixtures, and garage door was dented by the fire crew. It was over $6K of damage per the adjuster, so less our deductible, we got about $4K. I did the work myself, except for the roof, and it cost me about $3K in repairs that would have been out of my pocket if I did not claim it. This was the only claim in over 20 years, so I know the insurance company is still way ahead on us.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:14 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,671,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
How many of you EVER filed a claim for your home? Are there any hidden benefits other than the obvious disaster ones? I know, I know that its VERY important to have it, just wondering if their are other advantages of having it?
In 40 years of owning homes I have never filed a claim. That said, I could not sleep at night worrying what if something happens and it will cost big bucks to fix/correct.

I say set a very high deductible and hope you never have to file a claim.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:20 PM

45,420 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Default Benefits of homeowner's insurance?

Not losing everything you own when the drunk down street falls down in front of your house.

We have people here who cancel their flood insurance when the mortgage is paid off. Then they wonder why they have to pay out of pocket the next time they're flooded, which eventually always happens.

We had one guy lose three new cars in one year due to flooding because "It just can't happen again". He'd also cancelled flood insurance on his house.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:40 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Some "hidden benefits", if you can't live in your home because of a covered loss, a fire, your insurance policy will pay for your hotel room, added food costs, etc. while your house is being fixed. Like other's have said, liability, but that also covers you away from your house. Know of a family where their kids were at a golf course and one boy accidentally hit the other boy with a golf club to the face. A combination of their homeowners and umbrella policy paid for his medical bills because he would have maxed out his lifetime coverage under his medical insurance plan.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:57 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,079,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
Only claim we filed was when our neighbor's garage burned due to a power surge that fried something plugged into the outlets. Their garage, a boat inside it, and two vehicles - one a 3 week old Acura, were toast. They had over $170K of damage to just the house due to smoke damage from the smoke that filled their house through the breezeway. It was not sealed off to isolate the garage attic from the house attic. They were out of the house for over 3 months.

We had our siding damaged -24' of hardie plank that cracked into pieces, and the roof was damaged along with the fence between us, light fixtures, and garage door was dented by the fire crew. It was over $6K of damage per the adjuster, so less our deductible, we got about $4K. I did the work myself, except for the roof, and it cost me about $3K in repairs that would have been out of my pocket if I did not claim it. This was the only claim in over 20 years, so I know the insurance company is still way ahead on us.
I am curious as to why your NEIGHBOR'S policy didn't cover your out-of-pocket expenses (e.g. the deductible) since it was something started by something going wrong on their property? Or does that not matter? I've never filed a claim so while I know what my policy covers in my own house, it never occurred to me to ask what happens if something from a neighbor's property damages mine. (OTOH I've heard of that with e.g. trees falling so I guess it makes sense that their policy wouldn't pay in this case either ... just seemed odd to me.)

I've been a homeowner for 10 years now (2 different houses) and would never think of going without insurance. I consider "peace of mind" a benefit.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:01 PM

45,420 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Something from above: if you have a mortgage the holder requires you to have insurance.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:26 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I am curious as to why your NEIGHBOR'S policy didn't cover your out-of-pocket expenses (e.g. the deductible) since it was something started by something going wrong on their property? Or does that not matter? I've never filed a claim so while I know what my policy covers in my own house, it never occurred to me to ask what happens if something from a neighbor's property damages mine. (OTOH I've heard of that with e.g. trees falling so I guess it makes sense that their policy wouldn't pay in this case either ... just seemed odd to me.)

I've been a homeowner for 10 years now (2 different houses) and would never think of going without insurance. I consider "peace of mind" a benefit.
This brings up another point, yes, their policy should have covered the damage to the neighbor's house, however, if their policy wasn't up to snuff, they might not have had enough coverage to take care of it. Just make sure YOUR liability limits cover your house and possessions because if the neighbor's policy wasn't enough, he could have filed under his own policy for the repairs. In his case, for $3000, I wouldn't have filed under my own policy but I sure as heck would have made a claim against the neighbors.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:57 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
I've had two hail claims which resulted in a roof replacement in both cases. One claim when a power surge fried a bunch of electronics. A co-worker had a serious house fire on a Sunday afternoon. His agent was out before the Fire Dept left with a $5,000 check for temp housing, clothing and other miscellaneous expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House