Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 09:04 AM

143 posts, read 395,352 times

Advertisements

When looking at a home in Port Orchard, Washington, our realtor advised that one home we liked had LP siding, a brand she said which had had some problems over the years, and needed regular maintenance. It appears the problems were worst in the Northwest, due to the moisture http://hometownexteriordesigns.com/lp_siding.php But I gather the siding was sold in many areas. Anyone had any experiences with this siding, which the above site says, "is little more than excess lumber which is ground up, mixed with glue, and run through a press . . ."? This site, aimed at those who want to have siding replaced or repaired, may not be totally objective. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 09:28 AM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,146,547 times
Hi,
What does the siding look like now? If it is in wonderful condition, then, I guess its fine. Massive problems in Southern California with it (Georgia Pacific). It warps, cups, delaminates, deteriorates etc...and yes termites do eat it, glue and all. There is material that looks similar that repair cos use,but, it does not match exactly. I suppose if it is in great condition now, you could nurse it along.
I would be considering the cost of replacement at some point.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:40 AM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Default The Google is your friend

search for "composite siding lawsuit"

Old 08-02-2013, 10:34 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,020,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger108 View Post
When looking at a home in Port Orchard, Washington, our realtor advised that one home we liked had LP siding, a brand she said which had had some problems over the years, and needed regular maintenance. It appears the problems were worst in the Northwest, due to the moisture http://hometownexteriordesigns.com/lp_siding.php But I gather the siding was sold in many areas. Anyone had any experiences with this siding, which the above site says, "is little more than excess lumber which is ground up, mixed with glue, and run through a press . . ."? This site, aimed at those who want to have siding replaced or repaired, may not be totally objective. Thanks.
YES!!! I had this siding on my house here in Charleston. Horrible, horrible, horrible stuff. Here's the thing, it does not do well in moist, humid areas and that's where it has failed and failed badly. When we bought our house, we knew it was on there and would need replacing. We replaced it with hardiplank (a product I now LOVE). Extremely expensive to do so though. By the time we replaced ours - which was about five years old at that point - it had rotted in enough places that we replaced much of the sheathing on our house. Almost all of the trim as well because it was compromised. Then, we also ended up with termites - which they love, love this product. However, it was not immediately evident because the termites didn't even need tubes up the foundation since the siding was so soggy, they could get right into the house itself. That discovery had us replacing the studs on the majority of our first floor. Would I buy this house again knowing it had LP siding? No!!

So all told, we replaced the studs on the first floor, the sheathing and house wrap, the trim, and the siding. All due to the massive failure of the siding. Think of prices closer to $50K to do something like this. Yes, it's expensive.

As to the siding itself, we took a good look at it when it was taken off. Imagine siding your house with particle board - that's exactly what this stuff seemed like. I would RUN from another house with this siding. In my neighborhood, every single house that had this siding has replaced it - that should tell you something.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:53 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,083,219 times
I have it on our house in Atlanta, GA as well. Ours seems to be in very good condition. The house was built in 1990. We have replaced all the bad boards with Hardiplank but a majority of the boards are still LP siding. I have my painter make sure that everything is sealed - each and every nail hole is sealed and painted. LP siding is like a wick when it is compromised and will literally suck moisture into the board. If you look at the underside of the board, if it is wavy - then the board is probably going bad.

I have seen LP siding so bad that you can stick your finger through it without much effort.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:01 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,020,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I have seen LP siding so bad that you can stick your finger through it without much effort.
That was my siding. Could literally just poke a hole in it.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:02 PM

Wow. Just looked and status of the house is now sale pending. Just as well, it seems. Maybe it'd all be okay, but I wouldn't want to take chances. The siding seems to have the most problems in humid/rainy climates and Port Orchard certainly qualifies. House was built in 1993. Good luck to the new owners.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:38 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times
The house we had built in Indiana in 1991 had some LP siding, on the back of the house on the 2nd story only. Thankfully the rest of the house was brick, because the LP siding warped, separated, peeled, and looked awful within just a few years. We had to have the LP siding removed, and we replaced it with Hardiplank, at a cost of $15K for just that back portion.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:18 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,289,811 times
Walk away as fast as you can.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:24 AM

Thanks all. We did seriously think of bidding on the house when we first saw it, and hesitated mainly due to finding out about some new development nearby (possible noise, etc.). Looks like we may had dodged a bullet. Glad the realtor warned us about the siding, though not as strongly as you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House