Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 08:02 PM

373 posts, read 589,590 times

Advertisements

We have a much larger water supply in the US so we don't need bidets - you can just jump in the shower....something Europeans can do only a couple times a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 08:08 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Ok, help me out here. I understand the concept, you sit on this thing and it sprays water on your butt, got that. But what I don't understand is, how do you keep the water contained in just that area without it spraying all over the place and getting the rest of your lower torso wet ? Also, once you are done spraying do you use TP to dry off ? TP shreds when you get it wet, so it isn't a very effective dryer. I think you would end up with lots of little pieces of TP stuck to your backside.

Don

Old 11-23-2013, 08:12 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I keep telling my wife I want to buy one of those $5000 Toto toilets with the integrated washlet (bidet) feature.

I stayed in a luxury hotel suite once that had them. Had to try it out...
Loved them in Tokyo.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I just sit on the edge of the tub, turn on the tub faucet, an slosh myself the way I would on a bidet, with a bar of soap handy, and dry with a small hand towel. I think it's wonderful. I haven't bought a roll of toilet paper in years.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:58 PM

2,417 posts, read 2,989,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I liked the following model the best because it comes with a wireless control which you can mount on the wall next to the toilet paper. Then you don't need to reach back and down to activate the seat...
Supreme Remote Control Bidet Heated Seat Pulsating Massage Bidet
I think that looks amazing and I want one! But I just showed it to my husband and he laughed and said our current seat is cordless, wireless and, since moving to Florida, warm too with no risk of electrical shock to his "delicate hiney." He thinks I'm only interested in the massage feature.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:01 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Ok, help me out here. I understand the concept, you sit on this thing and it sprays water on your butt, got that. But what I don't understand is, how do you keep the water contained in just that area without it spraying all over the place and getting the rest of your lower torso wet ? Also, once you are done spraying do you use TP to dry off ? TP shreds when you get it wet, so it isn't a very effective dryer. I think you would end up with lots of little pieces of TP stuck to your backside.

Don
We've used a bidet seat attachment for three years.

Ours has a remote control that adjusts the direction of the spray. As soon as the pressure is off the seat, it shuts off. Have had no problems with overspray.

We dry off with toilet paper. Never any problem with shredding. Just need to pat dry, no need to rub, really. Results may vary by TP type. We use Kirkland. But we use less of it. There's a wee blower for those with the patience.

Ours heats the water up a bit. Our tap water isn't all that chilly anyway.

As others have noted, getting electricity under the toilet can be a challenge. It helped that there was a closet behind our toilet.

I could live without it, but it seems like such a nice convenience at such a reasonable price. I can't imagine why having a separate bidet would be better than a combined toilet and bidet. Perhaps someone could explain the advantages here.

Alas, ours is not equipped with a massage feature. I have it on the list for when it is time to replace it.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:35 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
Yes.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:33 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Because many American men are afraid that if a water-jet hits them in the butthole and it feels good, that will make them gay.
I'm not sure how I ended up in this CD thread but this ^^^ made it worth it. They are becoming more common, even Home Depot carrying basic handheld ones. I tried them in Japan and have installed multiple unit for people who have tried mine. There are different types from the handheld to the motion models. I installed one from Costco and it was crap, pun intended, cracked twice. There are cheaper ones, but I found the Toto to be the best designed and engineered. There lower cost ones may have a different manufacturing process creating joint in the plastic where it is more difficult to clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
It not a like there is a shower head down there, if you can survive using a sink without ending up a dripping mess, you can use a bidet, it is just a small jet of water. They also have blower dryer version so aid with the drying process. You really don't have to wipe the TP so hard since it is use to dry rather than wipe clean.

On amazon I see they actually sell portable one too.

In all seriousness, anyone having to take care of an adult might want to consider these.

Features and Types
Manual hand held wand.
Under seat in bowl folding rotating
Built into the seat
Variable positions #1 and #2 for women
Variable jets
Heated water
Heated seat
Automatically cleaning of nozzle
Oscillating , pulsating water
Motion detector to pre wet the bowl and clean the toilet so sh*t doesn't stick
Automatically close the lid or open the lid
Tankless so you have unlimited supply of warm water for your toosh.

The only issue I've had with installation is , we have non standard water valves going to the toilet, sometimes it is just easier to change the valve than try to make it work with different hoses, or adapters.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:31 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Could it have something to do with the "size" of American's and the increased "real estate' that their posterior's cover? Rather than a bidet, some may need a pressurized hose.

Some may need a hydrant and pumper truck.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:57 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Yo, Lopez Not dissing you, but your response got a guffaw out of me. When you responded to the quote, the subject in the sentence in that quote was homophobic American men turning gay, not bidets. When you went on to describe your experience without re-stating the word bidet, you ended up describing those men. As someone who reads fast, I don't parse and correct at first reading but just take things as written. The end result was funny and strange.

Because many American men are afraid that if a water-jet hits them in the butthole and it feels good, that will make them gay.
I'm not sure how I ended up in this CD thread but this ^^^ made it worth it. They are becoming more common, even Home Depot carrying basic handheld ones. I tried them in Japan and have installed multiple unit for people who have tried mine. There are different types from the handheld to the motion models.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House