Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 04:50 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,381 times

Advertisements

Is it OK to use low-concentration/over-the-counter hydrogen peroxide as a household cleaning agent alternative, to diluted chlorine bleach?

I have had chlorine bleach (when not diluted enough) cause some undesired discoloration of various items such as clothing, etc., so I thought it might be a possible good idea to use hydrogen peroxide instead, since it has the same cleaning properties, but without the possible discoloration side effect. As far as I am aware, color-safe, non-chorine bleach is not a viable possibility, because it does not have the disinfecting properties of chlorine bleach and hydrogen peroxide. However, I had also read somewhere that hydrogen peroxide can also have a corrosive effect, on various materials -- hopefully the low-concentration solutions are not harmful though, to surfaces such as stainless steel sinks, granite kitchen countertops, wooden furniture, and similar materials?

Or: would it be preferable to use isopropyl (i.e., non-consumable, pharmacy-variety) alcohol, over both hydrogen peroxide and chlorine bleach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 04:57 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,195,189 times
Semi-aside - hydrogen peroxide will thoroughly clean your bacteria but not kill them.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:44 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Ummm, no. Hydrogen peroxide is an alternative water sanitizing system for those of us off municipal water. However, hydrogen peroxide is also a bleach like chlorine.

Sanitizing is rarely needed, and people go nuts over it without thinking it through. Unless someone is severely immune deficient, the occasional buggie is good at keeping the immune system sane. Original Lysol and other biocides are otherwise very potent. IIRC, the CDC uses a lysol generic on its hazardous critter labs.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:48 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,808,528 times
Do not mix H2O2 and alcohol.
They combine to make water and heat.
Keep H2O2 away from Ag.
Jet pack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-08-2013, 07:49 PM

61,673 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Sure, but not very cost effective.
And I agree that the unnecessary and completely out of control "kill ALL the bacteria" trend is a craziness.

Last edited by elnina; 12-08-2013 at 07:57 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 04:29 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,195,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Ummm, no. Hydrogen peroxide is an alternative water sanitizing system for those of us off municipal water.
The OP is discussing low-concentration peroxide. For lack of a better source of real info, see the Wikipedia entry here that also discusses what it is used for in the situation mentioned in the quoted part of this post Drinking Water Treatment and note under the Therapeutic Use part that, again, the discussion is about high concentration peroxide.

The off-the-shelf stuff at 3-6% concentration is great for cleaning your wounds (where "cleaning your wounds" literally means taking away dirt and guck and maybe even some healthy flesh (fun foaming action!), but the bacteria will simply rub under their arms at the free bath).

[BTW, as noted in a post close above, perhaps it's not important to worry too much about "surface bacteria" or even bacteria in general (not specific like on a cutting board just used for chopping raw chicken). We all are MUCH healthier when we let those little bacteria boogers into our body and have our bodies' excellent self-defenses say "Out, damned spot!" by themselves, training themselves for the NEXT invasion that might be more important to repel]

Last edited by sullyguy; 12-09-2013 at 05:26 AM..

Old 12-09-2013, 10:21 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Is it OK to use low-concentration/over-the-counter hydrogen peroxide as a household cleaning agent alternative, to diluted chlorine bleach?

I have had chlorine bleach (when not diluted enough) cause some undesired discoloration of various items such as clothing, etc., so I thought it might be a possible good idea to use hydrogen peroxide instead, since it has the same cleaning properties, but without the possible discoloration side effect. As far as I am aware, color-safe, non-chorine bleach is not a viable possibility, because it does not have the disinfecting properties of chlorine bleach and hydrogen peroxide. However, I had also read somewhere that hydrogen peroxide can also have a corrosive effect, on various materials -- hopefully the low-concentration solutions are not harmful though, to surfaces such as stainless steel sinks, granite kitchen countertops, wooden furniture, and similar materials?

Or: would it be preferable to use isopropyl (i.e., non-consumable, pharmacy-variety) alcohol, over both hydrogen peroxide and chlorine bleach?
I'm picturing Pat Batemen cleaning his Jean Paul Gaultier laundry bag...

Old 12-09-2013, 07:18 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,206,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
Semi-aside - hydrogen peroxide will thoroughly clean your bacteria but not kill them.
3% H2O2 kills bacteria quite well, though not as well as hypochlorite in much lower concentrations.

Neither H2O2 nor hypochlorite is what you need to use on sinks and countertops. You want a product with a surfactant (pretty much any ordinary cleaning product); the most important thing is to get the dirt off the surface. If you do get the dirt off the surface, the remaining bacteria are not likely to be an issue. If you don't, you'll get a biofilm that your disinfectant likely won't be able to kill anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House