Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 11:16 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Maybe it's time to think about the big picture instead of just yourself? According to Energy Star, if every household in the Untied States switched just ONE 75W incandescent with the equivalent CFL, the energy saved would be enough to light over 3 million households for a year, save $680 million in energy costs, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to more than 800,000 cars. This seems worth it to me. And that's just switching ONE lightbulb!

CFL Savings : ENERGY STAR

As for the mercury factor, again according to Energy Star, coal-fired power plants produce 13.6mg of mercury to power one 60W incandescent bulb. It only takes 3.3mg of mercury to power an equivalent CFL bulb. Even if a CFL bulb contains 5mg of mercury, that's still 5.3 fewer mgs of mercury being released into the environment. Once LED lighting gets better an cheaper, the mercury element will be eliminated since there is no mercury in LEDs. And most experts believe that the CFL bulb is just a stepping stone before we get to widespread LED lighting.

and if EVERY person with a backyard put up a clothesline and dried thier clothes for free, we wouldnt have to worry about lighbulbs, and we would be saving on gas and electric. Think of all the savings of energy if every house in the US had a clothesline in the back yard.....and they should, there should be no reason not to. Especially in the states where the temperatures are in the high 90's to 100's, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 03:12 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
and if EVERY person with a backyard put up a clothesline and dried thier clothes for free, we wouldnt have to worry about lighbulbs, and we would be saving on gas and electric. Think of all the savings of energy if every house in the US had a clothesline in the back yard.....and they should, there should be no reason not to. Especially in the states where the temperatures are in the high 90's to 100's, please.
That's true. But most of the HOA's in my area, including mine, don't allow it. And when it's cold, which is about 4-5 months of the year, good luck getting clothes to dry.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:14 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
No, setting your own personal standards and raising and lowering the bar to suit them makes you holier than thou.

Summarily castigating people you do not even know makes you holier than thou.

Implying that You- yes it's all about YOU-- are a good, caring person because you use a fricking light bulb is holier than thou.

And believing your own headlines just makes you arrogant.

But hey, it's all about YOU.
I never castigated anyone. I never said I'm a good, caring person. I never even said I used CFL bulbs. I didn't realize anything I said about helping to save the planet for future generations could be offense. So I apologize if it was. I'll just go back to hiding under a rock so as not to offend those that don't like change.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:27 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
I have CFL's in every socket in my house, and I know they take a little longer to warm up. I don't really do it to be green as much as to save money. I've been in this house a little over 2 years and I don't think ones went out yet. I mean come on folks 23 watts vs 100 is a pretty simple equation according to my hillbilly math.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:39 PM

106,683 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i stopped using compacts years ago, i can't stand them. i hate the way they look , the color and the way fixtures focus the light from them. eventually i will go led when they get cheaper.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:19 PM

302 posts, read 2,231,845 times
[quote=Pink Jazz;32634006] Condensing furnaces cannot be placed in attics due to potential freezing and water leakage, and require PVC vents due to their condensing nature.
quote]Condensing furnaces can absolutely be installed in an attic in cold climates. Each one comes with instructions about installing the furnace in the attic, with special precautions to prevent freezing, etc. Not sure where you got that information from...

Old 12-18-2013, 09:32 PM

7 posts, read 15,031 times
The light emitted from incandescent bulbs is the best.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:30 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
That's true. But most of the HOA's in my area, including mine, don't allow it. And when it's cold, which is about 4-5 months of the year, good luck getting clothes to dry.
Cold dry air dries clothes just fine. If it's cold enough, just let them freeze and break the ice off.

In my area, HVAC absolutely dominates the electric bill. Even in the winter, the blower isn't free after all. Lighting is trivia; trying to save on electricity by replacing bulbs is straining at gnats. But I like the light from halogens, so I guess I'll use them and hope the LEDs become decent by 2020 (when they ban the halogens too). Someone pointed me to some LED bulbs from Soraa which look promising, but they only make them in directional configurations now (and they're expensive).

Old 12-19-2013, 03:38 AM

106,683 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Day View Post
The light emitted from incandescent bulbs is the best.
older fixtures were designed to focus point sources of light like incandescent. compacts are not point source and they couple to a room badley many times.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:29 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,230 times
I'm set for life.....
Just order 2 contractor pack cases -- 120 bulbs each.
Delivered right to my door for free!

Also my favorite big box home improvement store has plenty of bulbs.....16-pack for $4.88

I also stocked up on the medium base candelabra style, AND some outdoor flood lights.

(I usually stock up on most of my non-perishables. So this was just a bigger 'stock up' than normal. Haven't bought TP, paper towels, trash bags, aluminum foil, plastic wrap, toothpaste, deodorant, or baking soda in two years, and have a year's worth left! I'm fortunate enough to have the storage space. So why not.)

Of course if I die soon, any one who comes to the house will think I'm 'a little strange.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House