Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 11:02 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,807,609 times

Advertisements

I live in Greenville, SC area and am planning to build a home through a developer with a walkout basement.

The basement is around 1500sf. It will be framed, but that's it. I plan to add a small apartment for my mother in law, a media room and storage.

It won't come with any ductwork. What would be the best way to add a HVAC system to the basement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 11:08 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,744 times
Can you elaborate on why there's no duct work? Our furnace/air handler is in the basement and I just ran some ducts off the main plenum.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Can you elaborate on why there's no duct work? Our furnace/air handler is in the basement and I just ran some ducts off the main plenum.
The devloper only frames out the basement, not sure why they don't add the ductwork. I do plan to ask.

It will be three story house then and the air handler will be in the attic.

I need to make it dry and comfortable for my mother in law who is in her 70's.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:09 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,744 times
Are there any ducts between the floor joists (that handle the first floor HVAC)?

If you can get any kind of ducts down there, I'd keep the air handler fan on (low speed if it has the option) all the time so it balances the temps on all the floors.

There are stand-alone A/C and heating options as well but they won't be as efficient.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:27 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,322 times
We have that exact setup and the builder also only framed out the basement. We did DIY runs along the ceiling joists parallel with the ones that heat/cool our upstairs, but I wouldn't recommend it. The downstairs is considerably colder and so we end up heating upstairs way hotter than we want, just to keep it liveable (two bedrooms downstairs). We are in PA. I would consider dual-zone, at least.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:24 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I live in Greenville, SC area and am planning to build a home through a developer with a walkout basement.

The basement is around 1500sf. It will be framed, but that's it. I plan to add a small apartment for my mother in law, a media room and storage.

It won't come with any ductwork. What would be the best way to add a HVAC system to the basement?
I would ask the builder about running HVAC ducts to the "lower level" not actually a basement but another discussion. Ask about a main shutoff/block until said time as you get ready to refinish and need such. Also ask about a separate system. Heat pump systems work very well in the south.

In my first home build in SC, the builder said I was a typical Yankee. I was more worried about heating then cooling. He said reverse your concerns.

Last edited by johngolf; 12-26-2013 at 04:36 PM..

Old 12-26-2013, 08:31 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
The BEST solution is a separate system for the basement. And for Greenville you could probably go with a heat pump with no problems. But, if you find yourself needing a more traditional furnace- A/C look at fuel availability and cost comparisons. Also keep in mind that if you use a conventional gas furnace you'll need a "path" for the furnace flue. Or you'll need to go with a H/E system that can be direct vented.

Using (or expanding) the system for the rest of the house is not economically smart.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:38 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,901,088 times
If the developer won't do extra in the basement find a contractor that will after the house is built. We framed, insulated, and cut out ductwork into the main line across the house. We are in PA, so it's cold and heat in the basement will eventually make it's way upstairs.

Another other option is a fireplace/ stove to supplement heat (not sure how hot it get's there).

Old 12-27-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The BEST solution is a separate system for the basement. And for Greenville you could probably go with a heat pump with no problems. But, if you find yourself needing a more traditional furnace- A/C look at fuel availability and cost comparisons. Also keep in mind that if you use a conventional gas furnace you'll need a "path" for the furnace flue. Or you'll need to go with a H/E system that can be direct vented.

Using (or expanding) the system for the rest of the house is not economically smart.
I was thinking about going this way, because my mother in law likes it warmer than we do in the winter. In the summer it should stay fairly cool.

Another developer had quoted something like $5k just for the ductwork.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:11 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
$5k just for ductwork!?
That's ridiculous! You probably aren't finishing all that sq/ft- and if half of the basement is subterranean you'll probably only need a 1-1/2ton unit. I've done complete systems for around that price with my HVAC contractor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House