Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 09:53 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,628,905 times

Advertisements

Another thing I recall....several outlets on the back wall of the laundry room cabinet, the tall narrow broom closet, the linen closet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 12:39 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,097,760 times
Who caught us by surprise when we moved into our new house this fall? Our new little friend:

Old 12-28-2013, 04:51 AM

486 posts, read 993,017 times
We built our house in 2009. I was not an expert in home construction then, so here it goes:

1) The pergo floors squeaked throughout the house. I had to go to the basement, locate the squeak and screw some screws alongside the nails that were peaking out from the subfloor, that seemed to fix most of the squeaks.

2) The heating ductwork in the basement continually popped when the heat turned on and off. I had to wrap pieces of word and cardboard around the parts of the heating ducts that were sucking in and out, in order to stop the popping. Seemed to fix the problem.

3) The power vent to the gas water heater is ungodly LOUD! If I had known what a power vent was, I would have built a chase and vented the gas water heater through the roof. I give up on that noise.

4) For the past two years, there is a loud knocking noise coming from the natural gas pipe that enters the house from the gas meter located outside. It knocks loudly each time the furnace or gas water heater turns on. What sucks is, the knock reverberates up the wall inside the house, and you can hear it in the downstairs bedroom and the upstairs bedroom. The knock is loud enough to wake me up. It's not the gas meter, it is coming from inside the pipe in the basement. Fortunately, it only happens when it is 32 degrees and lower, which is 6 months out of the year. I give up on that noise.

5) A burglar lives across the street, he burglarized our home once, and the two adjacent neighbors' homes 5 times. He is in jail now, but will be released soon to do it all over again, as the burglar's a*hole mother and father condone his behavior. I pray everyday that they will move, but they never do.

6) The refrigerator in the kitchen is LOUD! I wish we would have enclosed the kitchen with doors, like they used to do in the old days. Open floor plans suck.

7) There are cracks in the downstairs hallway ceiling, from where the builders patched a drywall piece. I don't know what they did, but I am going to have to fix that someday by screwing additional screws in the studs and taping and mudding. Will probably always have hairline cracks, I just fill those with caulk and repaint. Good enough for government work.

Other than that, the house is OK. It's livable, which is all I can ask for.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
We built our house in 2009. I was not an expert in home construction then, so here it goes:

1) The pergo floors squeaked throughout the house. I had to go to the basement, locate the squeak and screw some screws alongside the nails that were peaking out from the subfloor, that seemed to fix most of the squeaks.

2) The heating ductwork in the basement continually popped when the heat turned on and off. I had to wrap pieces of word and cardboard around the parts of the heating ducts that were sucking in and out, in order to stop the popping. Seemed to fix the problem.

3) The power vent to the gas water heater is ungodly LOUD! If I had known what a power vent was, I would have built a chase and vented the gas water heater through the roof. I give up on that noise.

4) For the past two years, there is a loud knocking noise coming from the natural gas pipe that enters the house from the gas meter located outside. It knocks loudly each time the furnace or gas water heater turns on. What sucks is, the knock reverberates up the wall inside the house, and you can hear it in the downstairs bedroom and the upstairs bedroom. The knock is loud enough to wake me up. It's not the gas meter, it is coming from inside the pipe in the basement. Fortunately, it only happens when it is 32 degrees and lower, which is 6 months out of the year. I give up on that noise.

5) A burglar lives across the street, he burglarized our home once, and the two adjacent neighbors' homes 5 times. He is in jail now, but will be released soon to do it all over again, as the burglar's a*hole mother and father condone his behavior. I pray everyday that they will move, but they never do.

6) The refrigerator in the kitchen is LOUD! I wish we would have enclosed the kitchen with doors, like they used to do in the old days. Open floor plans suck.

7) There are cracks in the downstairs hallway ceiling, from where the builders patched a drywall piece. I don't know what they did, but I am going to have to fix that someday by screwing additional screws in the studs and taping and mudding. Will probably always have hairline cracks, I just fill those with caulk and repaint. Good enough for government work.

Other than that, the house is OK. It's livable, which is all I can ask for.

Have you and your neighbors made a serious thing out of this and had law enforcement come to a neighborhood meeting to let people know what to do? (And also lets them get friendly with you all...know you are real...and let's the neighbor across the street know the same.)

Have you tried lighting so that it also just happens to shine in the neighbor's house?

A neighborhood watch?

See what your rights are. Can some of your watch group make periodic checks at the house, ring the doorbell....and those of a few others calling it checkups on neighbors rather than checkups on the one burglar.

Even if your area doesn't have enough law enforcement to patrol your streets at some sort of intervals, ask if there are officers who can drive by on their way to and from their job or other appointments.

See if a security company will give a few of you a group rate to install a system.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:25 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,939,281 times
We bought home last May,estate sale,owner lived in home for 58 years.We had inspection and nothing major.
After closing daughter checked out home and discovered a small brick walled drain pit under cover inside bar structure.This is a mystery,4 inch clay pipe with continuous flow of water into pit,crystal clear,draining into pipe.There is a stub of pipe 6-8 inches sticking up,does not seem to have any bearing on drainage,maybe from septic days.We have had flooding rain at times and does not affect flow.We live in FL and plan on moving to Ct,not a nice thought!
The owner died at 93 and lived in home till 91,his son stopped by after closing and could not give answer,other than it was there for all the years and his father kept his beer in the pit.We do have city sewer.There was no evidence of concrete having been cut.The basement very dry with no humidity,no mold or rust on furnace or washer in finished basement.
My thought it drains to some drainage system??There was no system back in 1955??

Old 12-28-2013, 08:47 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,498,898 times
I bought a fixer-upper a couple years ago. I had walked through the house a few times before buying, and knew about most of its problems. But, I had never looked at the garage, until after I had the keys.

Even if I had known about the roof, I would have bought the house anyway. But it was a big surprise.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
We bought home last May,estate sale,owner lived in home for 58 years.We had inspection and nothing major.
After closing daughter checked out home and discovered a small brick walled drain pit under cover inside bar structure.This is a mystery,4 inch clay pipe with continuous flow of water into pit,crystal clear,draining into pipe.There is a stub of pipe 6-8 inches sticking up,does not seem to have any bearing on drainage,maybe from septic days.We have had flooding rain at times and does not affect flow.We live in FL and plan on moving to Ct,not a nice thought!
The owner died at 93 and lived in home till 91,his son stopped by after closing and could not give answer,other than it was there for all the years and his father kept his beer in the pit.We do have city sewer.There was no evidence of concrete having been cut.The basement very dry with no humidity,no mold or rust on furnace or washer in finished basement.
My thought it drains to some drainage system??There was no system back in 1955??
Very interesting. So where is this pit? What is inside bar structure. You mean indoors under the bar?

Old 12-28-2013, 10:06 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
Quote:
Security cameras, with good HD quality, so you can put him back in jail. Hell if you make it obvious he may never come around again.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:43 AM

335 posts, read 620,436 times
Quote:

Your burglar beats out my drug dealer.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:45 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Same here. The neighbors are great. Dh and I are doing a remodel now and moved here in September. This is the nicest block we have ever owned a house on. Too bad we aren't staying...I will miss it.

The house, lol, well that's another story. We were able to keep the foundation, the walls, the trusses, the front doors and sliders..oh and the garage door. Everything else had to go. We knew this one was the worst one we have ever bought.
YAY!!!! I've been hoping you would buy another house and track your progress here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Cistern?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House