Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:15 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michibillybarb View Post
The home that I bought here in Charleston, SC last winter has leathered granite counter tops. They are FABULOUS! Cleaning is a breeze; no hand/finger prints show at all. They are quite the conversation piece when new guests see them. None of the 'depressions' that are 'etched' out hold food or anything else.

My countertops are very dark black/gray with some veins of brown, and they are gorgeous. My next home will have them as well. I would post a picture but I don't know how.
Would love to see a picture of your kitchen counter tops! We have polished granite kitchen countertops (absolute black) and a large slab of leather honed granite for the fireplace hearth. Love them both!

The leather honed was a bit more expensive than the polished.

The leather honed is quite interesting, very textured so I would be worried about the upkeep in the kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 07:12 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
I have seen this in person on an architectural tour. The effect is that the granite looks like a more natural stone selection. There is no polished 'shine'. The machine made irregularities are on a micro scale so that there are no real peaks and valleys, just a slight intimation of such. The effect is to cause zero interference with the beauty of the cabinetry or the kitchen design. They are nicer than simply honed counters, but they would likely be the most expensive surface available for granite because of the steps involved.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,446 times
Default Finish on Cut Edges on Leathered Finish

After a fabricator cut a leather piece of granite, how is the cut edge left. Are they supposed to leather the edges or is it honed finish.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:59 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm516 View Post
After a fabricator cut a leather piece of granite, how is the cut edge left. Are they supposed to leather the edges or is it honed finish.
Those that I have seen are honed. The matte finish works well with leather finish yet leaves no irregular surface that can damage/snag clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House