Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 06:03 PM

558 posts, read 1,121,788 times

Advertisements

Hi. I inherited my brothers little house upon his recent passing and I have never owned my own home. I have several things on my list of updates like get those stumps removed, have the hedges removed and replaced with mulch or stone and I'd also like to get rid of the brown and liven it up some.
The house being a light yellow has me confused though. Please give me some opinions on color schemes for this exterior without me having to change the siding.
I'm a guy so I want it to be modern and not too "girly."
I was thinking I would have to paint the window trim and roof trim though if I go with a new color for the shutters. Any help and ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI2234.JPG
Views:	5983
Size:	574.5 KB
ID:	132385
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 07:23 PM

22,616 posts, read 47,734,076 times
If you want to make it 'more modern' get rid of the shutters. They are all wrong for the left windows any way!

Old 07-04-2014, 10:02 PM

6,830 posts, read 11,565,662 times
I've always liked dark green shutters with yellow.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:51 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,702,500 times
I agree go with the dark green, to get an idea of how it will look look at how the dark green hedges look against the yellow siding.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:16 AM

20,296 posts, read 37,221,036 times
Have the stump removed, improve the yard, paint the house if you like, and have seamless metallic gutters installed.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:21 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,064,237 times
Why remove the hedges?

Old 07-05-2014, 12:38 AM

32,956 posts, read 36,419,326 times
I, too, would get rid of the shutters if you can. They're not the right size for the windows. On the other hand, the siding may a different shade underneath.

Unless you're going to re-shingle the roof, stick with colors which match that brown shade. I agree that a green would work with the color scheme.

Buy a nicer light, mailbox, and do something about the house number - it doesn't work with yellow.

Grind down the stumps and do something about the skippy, sparse lawn. It doesn't exactly look like a golf course, does it? If you don't want want to trim shrubs, rip them out and throw down some mulch. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the yard until you have the house squared away.

I'm sorry about the recent loss of your brother. I hope you enjoy the house, owning a home.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:35 AM

558 posts, read 1,121,788 times
Thank you all for the ideas and suggestions! I know it's not much to look at but my brother worked 2 jobs to pay it off and I want to make it nice now. He was a practical man and didn't care much about cosmetics, but I think this little house has tons of potential.
The shrubs were not initially on my mind to tear out, but after really studying it they almost make the house look "low." Like they are swallowing the house. I think once gone the house will look more inviting. Now the shutters I want to keep. Without them I think it would look too plain. Someone mentioned the shutters looking the wrong size, I don't see that so please do explain so I can maybe see what you mean.
I'm going to go with black house numbers and still not sure on mailbox color. Once again I can not afford new siding at this point so everything I do has to work with yellow (I hate yellow but I'm stuck with it for now).

Old 07-05-2014, 09:18 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,134,458 times
Yellow or tan often looks good trimmed out in cream or ivory. That is the only color that I would think to use. Also, the hedges in this case are hiding a 'nothing' foundation. I would leave them alone unless I had a real landscape plan. To replace with mulch would look odd.

When people talk about shutters being the wrong size they are refering to the fact that shutters were originally a practical item, meant to be closed over the entire window when there was bad weather. Today we rarely use them as such, but to look 'right' shutters should still look as if they could be closed to cover the window.

There is no double window (like yours) that has ever had historical shutters. Your shutters are being used instead of wide window trim, which would give some character to the house. But so many people do use these 'inappropriate width' shutters that it is your choice whether you want to be correct or not.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:26 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,769,084 times
I would keep the hedges. I would get rid of the shutters and add a wider trim to all of the windows and the door. I would paint the trim white and the door a light bluish/gray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House