Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 08:44 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
The strangest vintage craft I ever found was in a vintage women's magazine, circa 1950s. It featured instructions on how to make a nativity scene using bread and rolls. Yes, really. I will never forget the breadstick baby Jesus.
There was a photo making the rounds on the interwebs last Christmas of a nativity scene made with various sausages, bacon and sauerkraut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 09:54 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
Almost forgot - my mother used to be into latch hook when I was a kid, and we had some of those things hanging on our walls. I had one on my bedroom with a fluorescent rainbow on it. Hah!
Guilty. I had a latch hook rug but I did my own original design. And they're back....and these
look pretty nice.

Latch hook rug made from t-shirts
T-Shirt Latch Hook Rug Tutorial

Old 03-28-2014, 02:55 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Guilty. I had a latch hook rug but I did my own original design. And they're back....and these
look pretty nice.

Latch hook rug made from t-shirts
T-Shirt Latch Hook Rug Tutorial
That looks pretty neat, as do some of the other things on that website. Thanks for including the link!

Old 03-29-2014, 11:00 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think we should tell on ourselves. I once had end tables made of wooden telephone cable spools. You know the giant spools? That's what I had, and I antiqued them orange. Oh yes I did! And I had orange lamps as well.

I think I have moaned somewhere about my old plaid sofa which I owned far, far too long. I bought it right when plaid sofas went out of style, and I regretted buying it for about 15 years.

Once I used an old wooden ironing board as sofa table in back of my sofa. Never could think what to put on that thing to make it look like something more than an old ironing board, but it kept a son from running into the room, jumping over the back of the sofa, and landing on the sofa cushions. Of course he then took all the cushions off the sofa and threw them into the floor.

I also owned a wicker tulip hanging lamp. I owned it from 1970 to 2009. No kidding.

What nutty things have you done to your house?
Mum? Are you posting here?

Silibran... I grew up in 1 house with a living room with brown plaid sofa & orange lamps with orange & avocado triangle end tables & orange indoor-outdoor carpeting. We also had another sofa in the same room (we needed it with 7 kids), which was turquoise. Our mum was never much into decorating.

I've only seen those giant spools on front porches in country decorating mags. I've often wondered what they were. Painted a nice soft off-white, it might be lovely on a country style porch.

And, I'd love to see your wicker tulip lamp. I've never seen one & I love certain whimsical decorations. It sounds great to me! I'll trade you my folding chairs kept for extra company for your tulip lamp, if you've still got it.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:24 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
There was a photo making the rounds on the interwebs last Christmas of a nativity scene made with various sausages, bacon and sauerkraut.
Put them together and you have a holiday buffet!

The 3 wise men could bring mini fruitcakes!

Old 03-29-2014, 09:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Mum? Are you posting here?

Silibran... I grew up in 1 house with a living room with brown plaid sofa & orange lamps with orange & avocado triangle end tables & orange indoor-outdoor carpeting. We also had another sofa in the same room (we needed it with 7 kids), which was turquoise. Our mum was never much into decorating.

I've only seen those giant spools on front porches in country decorating mags. I've often wondered what they were. Painted a nice soft off-white, it might be lovely on a country style porch.

And, I'd love to see your wicker tulip lamp. I've never seen one & I love certain whimsical decorations. It sounds great to me! I'll trade you my folding chairs kept for extra company for your tulip lamp, if you've still got it.
I got rid of the tulip swag lamp finally when we redecorated the last undecorated bedroom. This would have been in 2008 or 2009.

This image is like the one I had, but mine was blonde.

The spools aren't really so great for tables. The large bolts on the top get in the way of placing much on their tops. But on the other hand, you don't mind setting a glass of something down on them. Also there is a big hole right in the middle of the top.

My orange lamps were inherited from DH's apartment when we married. I thought I would never get rid of them! They were tall and quite orange with tall shades. My plaid sofa came much later, and I can only blame myself for it. One thing though, it never wore out.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:08 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
My plaid sofa came much later, and I can only blame myself for it. One thing though, it never wore out.
Was the upholstery Herculon, by any chance?

Old 03-29-2014, 10:33 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
The spools aren't really so great for tables. The large bolts on the top get in the way of placing much on their tops. But on the other hand, you don't mind setting a glass of something down on them. Also there is a big hole right in the middle of the top.
That's where the flowerpot goes.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Was the upholstery Herculon, by any chance?
I don't know. It definitely was something synthetic. The brand was Thomasville. Here is a similar one:

This looks like the style of my sofa, but my plaid was deeper toned with blue green as a background. The material was tough as nails. I used to read on it, lying down. I don't miss it though.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's where the flowerpot goes.
Ah, I see!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House