Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 07:50 PM

26 posts, read 74,180 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am building a home with a national tract builder. I have selected white mortar as a design option. The brick work has just finished and I see the bottom half of the side wall is done with grey mortar and the rest of the wall/house is built with selected white mortar. When asked the supervisor, I was told that the bricker has messed up but it will fixed in time and will be according to the plan selected. please see attached pictures.

I am concerned as how it will be fixed. Is this fixable? Does the wall have to be teared up and redo the brick? What options do I have and how should I approach the builder? Obviously I am concerned. Please advise.

Regards
Sri
Attached Thumbnails
Builder/bricker put in wrong mortar on the brick-20141976.jpg   Builder/bricker put in wrong mortar on the brick-20141946.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 08:56 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
I know what I would do.
Call my lawyer and cancel the deal.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:09 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
It can be repaired without removing all the brick. I will be time consuming and a real "pain", but that is up to the builder. They have acknowledged their mistake. They would remove the mortar, probably with a grinder and then "tuck-point" (force mortar into the partially opened joints) with the correct color of mortar. Tuck pointing is a very common procedure and is used extensively in building maintenance. Restoration of historic structures depends heavily on this procedure. It will not weaken anything on the structure if done properly.

My question is, why so many different exterior finishes on a single family residence? In my mind, it looks pretty cobbled.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:08 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
I would definitely send them (find out the project manager for your development as well as the area VP and copy them) a polite letter recapping the conversation where they admit they made a mistake and that they stated that they will correct it. Politely reaffirm that you will expect the issue to be corrected prior to close and that if they do not get it corrected that you will expect to be returned any and all earnest money, deposits, etc and that if you are not able to close on time that you will be damaged and you propose a liquidated damages amount of $x dollars ( I would say figure out what would happen to you if you don't close and double it, but you want it to be real money, at least $5k or more)

They will immediately object to the liquidated damages I'm sure but it will make them understand you are serious and open a dialog.

If they propose to somehow chemically treat the masonry to blend it, make sure you get in writing an extended warranty of at least ten years or better yet lifetime because the mortar can gradually change to the original color. Similar if they tuck point it. As mentioned if done right, it's totally fine, but you want protection if it is not done right.

Do you have a buyers agent? If so, they should send this as they'll get more out of them.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:40 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
You could alternatively ask for a rebate.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:08 AM

563 posts, read 1,786,683 times
Wow, that looks messed up lol. Then again the color of your siding doesn't go with the brick anyways... Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:11 AM

Thank you all responding. So I see possible ways to fix are:

1) Pull down the brick and redo them with white mortar
2) Re point/tuck point the mortar with white
3) Chemically treat/paint with selected mortar ( ALL of the masonry joints and not just where the wrong color is applied).

2 and 3 are more of a repair works with possible long term risks of either the mortar does not match or the mortar chipping out.

I will take up with the project manager and ask him to come up with a documented plan. I am sure it will be an interesting conversation.

Regards

Old 12-21-2015, 11:44 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,249,015 times
So....the entire side of your house is brick...except that little part that has siding? Very odd.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:16 PM

The rest of the house has brick on the first floor with the selected/white mortar and siding on the second floor. Yes the siding color came up odd with this brick but at least the brick has the selected mortar.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:19 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
So....the entire side of your house is brick...except that little part that has siding? Very odd.
Common on McMansions... to save money.
I think it visually jarring.... especially in this case where stone is also thrown into the mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House