Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 05:43 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,587,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrikanth View Post
ok, here is a home with the same elevation but with a different color scheme. Also attached is the color scheme I chose. Are these that odd? Just asking. Yes I am thick skinned and I don't mind hearing opinions. My big thing is I have a meeting with the builder and I will push for tearing down and redo as I don't want to deal with the repointing issues later.

No those aren't odd. Because they blend between exterior finishes they work with each other. It's stucco and block with a brick accent which really brings attention to the windows and the brick header. It looks actually sort of good.

What kills the first house IMO is the huge brick side, the absolute line at about 5 foot mark and the I don't know what to do here so I'm gonna put up siding in the corner and the brick column wrap and then here block wall and column. It doesn't flow. The design starts and stops. If it was all brick o all block on the bottom stucco top or siding that's just a dividing line that's ok. Your house unfortunately is way too busy with the different exteriors. It just doesn't flow. I hope you do not take my criticism in a bad way. It wasn't meant to be so. I've just been around tract housing for a long time and stuff like this just jumps out at me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 06:19 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,504,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You're posting on a forum board. Wait did you think was gonna happen? By posting you are going to get other people's views. I've seen Texas houses. Most have one type of fascia. Usually block or brick being the most prevalent.
In Texas, a lot of the homes are hardiplank and some sort of veneer. The lower price points ones are usually masonry on the front only. Like I said upthread, in my older custom neighborhood where homes are not modest in the least, two story houses have hardie on the sides of the second floor.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:31 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,344,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I know what I would do.
Call my lawyer and cancel the deal.
yup

Old 12-22-2015, 06:46 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,777,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Would you walk up to a complete stranger and comment on their house negatively?

That's MY 2 cents.
If they called me over and pointed out the brick, yes, which is effectively what the OP did. Because then I'd look at everything closely and offer my opinion. The OP seems quite OK, so I don't know why you are so offended by this.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:06 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,596,162 times
Quote:
Hello,

I am building a home with a national tract builder. I have selected white mortar as a design option. The brick work has just finished and I see the bottom half of the side wall is done with grey mortar and the rest of the wall/house is built with selected white mortar. When asked the supervisor, I was told that the bricker has messed up but it will fixed in time and will be according to the plan selected. please see attached pictures.

I am concerned as how it will be fixed. Is this fixable? Does the wall have to be teared up and redo the brick? What options do I have and how should I approach the builder? Obviously I am concerned. Please advise.

Regards
Sri

Oh my~ You have a lot going on, bricks, siding and rock work... Yes it can be fixed, just like regrouting tile...

Old 12-22-2015, 08:33 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,807,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You're posting on a forum board. Wait did you think was gonna happen? By posting you are going to get other people's views. I've seen Texas houses. Most have one type of fascia. Usually block or brick being the most prevalent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
If they called me over and pointed out the brick, yes, which is effectively what the OP did. Because then I'd look at everything closely and offer my opinion. The OP seems quite OK, so I don't know why you are so offended by this.
Justify it however you want, makes no diff to me.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:34 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,087,210 times
Quote:
ok, here is a home with the same elevation but with a different color scheme. Also attached is the color scheme I chose. Are these that odd? Just asking. Yes I am thick skinned and I don't mind hearing opinions. My big thing is I have a meeting with the builder and I will push for tearing down and redo as I don't want to deal with the repointing issues later.
It's a regional thing, definitely. Toll put in a bunch of these cookie cutter McMansions priced on the high end of competitive in Seattle and they have a hard time selling them. The ones they built here are significantly smaller and less "ornate" than the ones that are apparently popular in Texas. In most markets, Toll basically takes a giant box of a house and grafts on a whole bunch of fussiness to make it seem like a custom luxury home instead of the cheap tract homes they are.

Here's a design I've seen all up and down the East Coast ported to our market:

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/39.../home/22808079

This model is closer to 4000 sq ft in most areas I've seen it.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:40 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,949,552 times
Here's the issue you are facing. The super makes most of his paycheck on bonus money. That means the house must stay on schedule or he doesn't make it. While you may complain, he's going to tell you it'll be okay and Beazer will stand behind the house if you have issues later on. Doesn't work like that in Texas. You have a basic door to window warranty in year one ONLY. Because this is is a color issue, it's not a warrantable issue so if you close on the house, the Warranty Department is going to do nothing to help you. Cosmetics are not covered by any warranty and color issues are cosmetics. So before you chat with your super, know the facts and what will happen if you accept any pointing up of the mortar or anything like it. Depending on how the POs were cut from Beazers office will dictate who is going to pay for the mistake. Most likely it will be the mason but he might just walk away from the job rather than take the hit. That's when things get real dicey. Beazer may come back at you and demand you accept their "fix" of pointing up the mortar or lose your down pay. If you end up in that position tell them you'll think about it and lawyer up to get your money back. I seriously doubt they would offer to build you another house on a different lot but that's a possibility. So you are aware, brick is cosmetic, not a structural component. It adds zero value structurally and just makes for a pretty looking finish that requires very little maintenance.

The proper way to fix the brick is complete removal. That means it all must come down. Not section at a time while the brick effected at the bottom is replaced./remortared. Hopefully it's just the section in the pics and not all the way around the house. Because brick has run numbers for color variances, the replacement brick may be a slightly different color if they can't get the same run number. If they replace the entire side, you'll probably never know a different run number but if they mix it in anyway it's going to show up. So even if they agree to take the brick down, you can still have color issues with mixed run number bricks.

I doubt you are a first time home buyer but you might be a first time NEW home buyer. Understand the warranty of the home before you sign any paperwork. Cosmetics are not covered by warranty so don't buy off on that lie. The house must be complete before closing. There can be NO lists to be completed after closing as it won't happen. When you close on a new house, you will sign paperwork that is buried in a mountain of paperwork that you are accepting the house in as is condition. That means it is finished to your complete satisfaction. Any work promised after closing is not going to happen. Assuming you have your own home inspector, make sure he is with you at time of Orientation as they like to call it now. We still call it the walkthru where you make notice of defects or things that you want fixed. This is your last chance at fixing anything cosmetic.

Best of luck with this. No builder really likes or wants issues like this but they happen. A good builder is going to make you happy. But there are a lot of builders that only the money matters. I hope this ends great for you and you end up happy in your new home. Merry CHRISTmas!

Old 12-23-2015, 12:15 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,504,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
It's a regional thing, definitely. Toll put in a bunch of these cookie cutter McMansions priced on the high end of competitive in Seattle and they have a hard time selling them. The ones they built here are significantly smaller and less "ornate" than the ones that are apparently popular in Texas. In most markets, Toll basically takes a giant box of a house and grafts on a whole bunch of fussiness to make it seem like a custom luxury home instead of the cheap tract homes they are.

Much of America either lives or has lived in " cookie cutter" tract housing. They build them because most of the time they can sell them. Here in Austin and probably Houston too builders can ask for whatever they want.

The ops house isn't a toll bros but a beazer. The toll homes I've seen around here don't look anything like what you've posted and seem cut from the same cloth as drees. They're not boxy at all.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:29 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,041,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post

I kind of like it

Its not boxy, the weird roof gives it some character, and its completely different then the house next door. Most subdivisions around here, each cookie cutter home is exactly the same. They may be slightly different in terms of color or how the porch is, but overall its the exact same houses all up and down the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House