Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 02:40 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I only post this because it came up in another thread.

I have an aunt who ADORES Thomas Kincade. I had never heard of him until she started pointing out that the unbelievably tacky (my opinion) wall art in her home had a similar origin. I am sure it makes her happy. I probably made the appreciative noises I was supposed to when I saw it.

She also knows that I paint, draw, and collect art. So one year for Christmas guess what she bought me? That's right-- my very own "painter of light" piece! Sweet gesture but it sat in a closet until I eBayed it.

What sorts of things do you see in other people's houses that make you cringe? Have you ever had this backfire and been the recipient of some of these lovely household goods?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Get a grip this is a fun thread and were laughing at ourselves more than anything else...
The premise of the OP was not people laughing at themselves, but at others. See the bolded. And, the majority of the responses have done just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 02:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Some posters may be laughing at themselves. Several posters are basically pointing at others and laughing at their "tackiness".

You really think these two examples of homes using rocks for landscaping (one described as "tacky" and one apparently not) are in the same type of neighborhood? With the same amount of resources available and the same ability to landscape and work to maintain that landscape?

And laughing at those who maintain homes with outdated decor is different than laughing at what you (not you specifically, but you in the general sense) had when it was considered stylish. Not everyone can afford to keep changing their decor with the times. And even so, some people simply have different priorities.

Lauging at youself? No problem. Laughing at others is when it gets to be in poor taste. Especially when often the laughter is at those with less.
This. Judging by the fact that looks to be a plaque of the Virgin of Guadalupe to the left of the garage door, the white house may well be the much-loved home of someone of Hispanic heritage. I've seen thousands of those homes. Well kept. Clean as a whistle inside and out. It reflects pride of ownership.

What it doesn't reflect are the values of people who think everyone is supposed to do the same thing to avoid getting the snarky laugh from the dog-walkers.

Thank God. I thought that house was cute as a bug and would happily sit on their patio if invited.

p.s. If that house is in Los Angeles it's worth, minimum, $300K. Probably a lot more since prices are shooting back to pre-crash levels. (Pre-crash houses like that were selling for 1/2 mil. And up.) Who's laughing now?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-02-2014 at 03:06 PM..

Old 04-02-2014, 03:27 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Yes,I know your foot is injured and you are bored. If i were stuck on the couch, I'd probably spend my time writing to my congressman about issues I am passionate about, or reading, or phone banking for a congressional candidate. these are the things I think are important. I would lose my mind if I spent all day thinking about other people's decor.

I just thought of a random line from a random movie - dirty dancing. Baby was going to save the world. Her sister was going to decorate it. I'm more the 'save the world" type, I guess.

The 2 are not mutually exclusive. . .

Old 04-02-2014, 04:35 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
Maybe a superhero will save the world from bad decoration

Old 04-02-2014, 06:29 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,747 times
Anna Lee dolls. oooohhhhh

Old 04-02-2014, 06:29 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
LMAO! I KNEW someone would see the different types of houses and make an issue of it. Too funny.

They were the best photos I could find with a quick Google search. You have to use your imagination...picture the fist photo with a yard based on the idea of the second photo. If I knew how to do desktop publishing type stuff, I would have created a before and after of the first photo.

FYI: If you've ever been to Mexico, you would know that Mexicans are incredible gardeners - lush and very colorful - even tiny gardens which are walled in from the street, like secret amazing gardens, full of flowers...even in low water areas.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-03-2014 at 03:09 PM..

Old 04-02-2014, 06:45 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
LMAO! I KNEW someone would see the different types of houses and make an issue of it. Too funny.

They were the best photos I could find with a quick Google search. You have to use your imagination...picture the fist photo with a yard based on the idea of the second photo. If I knew how to do desktop publishing type stuff, I would have created a before and after of the first photo.

And of course, someone had to get on the race bandwagon. Even if it IS a Hispanic yard....it....makes.....me.....cringe! And I bet it makes some Hispanics cringe, too.....

FYI: If you've ever been to Mexico, you would know that Mexicans are incredible gardeners - lush and very colorful - even tiny gardens which are walled in from the street, like secret amazing gardens, full of flowers...even in low water areas. So, in a way, your assuming this type of yard is a Mexican thing is...kind of insulting/ignorant. IMO.
So, it's fair to say, you are not laughing at yourself (like people keep saying is all this thread really is) here right?

Old 04-02-2014, 06:51 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So, it's fair to say, you are not laughing at yourself (like people keep saying is all this thread really is) here right?
Oh, no. Not laughing at myself here. I am definitely cringing at others' choices regarding colored gravel. With no sense of shame, whatsoever.

Got me .

You may, however, like to peruse an earlier post, in which I share photos of my kitschy bathroom. Here, I am laughing at myself, and encouraging you to laugh at me, as well.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:57 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Unfortunately, my garden gnome broke during our last move. I have a great sense of humor, but it doesn't include looking down my nose, rolling my eyes, and/or laughing at people who are less fortunate in the income department than I am, or live in a different climate, or have a different style, or simply have other priorities above perfecting their home or garden decor. I simply can't fathom spending the amount of time on this subject that you have spent on it.

Yes,I know your foot is injured and you are bored. If i were stuck on the couch, I'd probably spend my time writing to my congressman about issues I am passionate about, or reading, or phone banking for a congressional candidate. these are the things I think are important. I would lose my mind if I spent all day thinking about other people's decor.

I just thought of a random line from a random movie - dirty dancing. Baby was going to save the world. Her sister was going to decorate it. I'm more the 'save the world" type, I guess.
Well, good for you! Maybe you shouldn't waste another minute of your time on this silly thread!

I personally am more of an active, hands on sort of person, so I am really looking forward to resuming my volunteer work with abused women when I'm back on both feet. Meanwhile, I am enjoying this thread immensely, along with many others...so I'll continue posting...and laughing...and shuddering and cringing...at myself at least as much as at others!

Sorry to hear about your garden gnome, by the way.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I dropped a globule of chocolate ice cream on my kitchen floor and threw a dang towel over it because I didn't feel like bending over. That's the height of laziness and I own it. Dang it, I OWN it. That glob of chocolate ice cream can just stay there on the floor until I'm good and ready to clean it up. I hope this makes someone cringe.

I also ate massaman curry for lunch and am full of super-loud toots and bad breath. It's a super classy kind of day here. I wish someone would invite me over to decorate their house. Just don't ask me to bend over, ya hear me?
I've sent so many reps to everyone ( well, nearly everyone) on this thread that I can't rep you again, but you are absolutely cracking me up!

By the way, not to boast, but I've gotten a ton of reps on this thread too, so apparently I am in some good company when it comes to seeing the humor in all this silliness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House