Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 07:56 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
This may have already been touched on, but how about those aluminum Christmas trees with the light that you sat on the floor, that rotated colors: blue, red, yellow and green? I thought it was all so beeyootiful!
Those trees and the color wheels are worth a ton of money.

More if the branches have those pom-pom ends.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 04-03-2014 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 08:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
We're buying a new house (well, new to us). It was built in 1998 and while we LOVE the floorplan and the lot, the light fixtures and bathroom fixtures have not been updated. Yes, you guessed it...every stinking one of tbem is shiny brass.

So...I stepped back and tried to be objective, rather than being a House Hunters Ho. It was then that I realized, with a bit of a guilty cringe, that other than the finish, most of these fixtures are very good quality and actually shaped and scaled attractively. So I told my husband, "Let's just hang onto them for a little while...I have a feeling that brass will be coming back in style one day!"

And then my two daughters will be crying and wailing and rending their garments and sniveling, "MOM! Remember when you gave that huge brass chandelier to GOODWILL?"

Old 04-03-2014, 08:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hey, my mother faced a bit of a conundrum a few years ago. Somehow, she came to be in possession of (and I am not kidding) her deceased mother's false teeth. Naturally, they sort of creeped her out, but at the same time, she didn't feel as if she could just chunk 'em in the trash. I mean, it was sort of like having a part of her mother...but not really a cute or sweet part of her. So...she asked me if I would please keep them at my house. THANKS, MOM! So...I have them in a box in my sock drawer...way at the bottom of my sock drawer. Now I don't know what to do with them!

Maybe I can give them to MY daughter.

Just goes to show you that not every memento should necessarily be displayed.
I really hope you are not comparing a dead woman's false teeth to the Lladros lovingly chosen by my mother for me.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I really hope you are not comparing a dead woman's false teeth to the Lladros lovingly chosen by my mother for me.
I'm not that passive aggressive.

Please keep in mind that I own a sweet and precious porcelain figurine from the 1930s...made in Hitler era Germany. Jesus has blonde hair and blue eyes. I call him "Nazi Jesus," and he's looking down from the top of the armoire onto the bed where my decidedly NON Aryan grandbabies sleep while visiting. I get a sort of perverse thrill out of that.

Not yet sure how to work those teeth into the decor though....

Old 04-03-2014, 10:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Ok, here's another fun tidbit.

Remember how popular faux-finishing was in the 90s?

My mom bought a kit at Home Depot and decided to sponge paint the dining room walls. For some reason, she chose 3 shades of brown (a light, medium, and dark). And she wasn't very good at sponge painting, either.

The end result? It looked like a pack of monkeys had smeared poop all over the dining room walls. It was not only hideous, but it looked so much like poop that it was disgusting. Unappetizing. And for some reason, she didn't get around to having someone repaint it for a few months, so we had to live with the poop-room.

To this date, I cringe a bit when I see any sort of sponge-painting or combing techniques, even if it's done impeccably.

This is so hilarious! Reminds me of "antiquing" furniture - remember that phase? My mom "antiqued" everything! And mainly in avocado green lol!

Old 04-04-2014, 09:01 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Hey did anyone have a bar in their living room.. remember the ones shaped like the front of a boat hahaha, I thought at one time they were beautiful , and inherited one from a cousin who was putting hers in the bin.. she even included the two high chairs.. what was I thinking.... then when red came right into fashion think the early 80s.. I got a shag pile carpet in my hall, a red framed mirror and matching wall phone.... I kept leaving my door open so the neighbours could have a right good old look in... I really thought Id made it... oh and a big round paper lantern on the ceiling that looked like the moon...

Old 04-04-2014, 01:55 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
I had a built in wet-bar in my living room in a previous house.

I actually kinda miss it. Wish I had room to install one in my current place.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:08 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
I like the Lladros, I just have too many things on display. My collections are way too big. I'm hanging onto the Lladros for now.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:15 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
My mom antiqued our piano. And the kitchen cabinets. And my bedframe. And... well, you get the idea.

One of my earliest memories is going to my aunt's house, which was full-on OWL everywhere. The lamps were those HUGE things that were so popular in the 60s, with the humongous shades. The bases were super-lifesized owls- kind of frightening to a child. But the basement was where the action was. She had a doll collection that was out of this world. They were everywhere, lining the walls, on couches, chairs, beds...so many eyeballs staring at you. Now it sounds like my idea of a nightmare. But as a child, I was fascinated. She had all her "fancy" stuff in her house.

Her cottage, on the other hand, was the polar opposite. Anything that had an "up north" theme was fair game. Little wooden outhouses that sat on tabletops? Sure, bring 'em on! Knitted afghans in garish colors? Yep, had them. There was a clock that had hands that actually ran counterclockwise. Lots of burnt orange and poop brown from my recollection. Also a lot of satin everywhere. (I loved my aunt, but she worked as a "hostess" at a hotel. Seemed to know a lot of men everywhere we went, if you get my drift.) She was super dooper fancy with bright red hair and a "beauty mark" that migrated around her face (since it was drawn on with eyeliner.) It's amazing I grew up to be so normal. Ha! Normal. Yes.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I had a built in wet-bar in my living room in a previous house.

I actually kinda miss it. Wish I had room to install one in my current place.
We had a wet bar in our last house. It was built in about 1980. I liked it. It was great storage, and a great place to set drinks and food when people were over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House