Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 02:40 PM

18 posts, read 81,840 times

Advertisements

I have spirits that seem follow me every place I live. They like to turn my TV on and off, move stuff around alot , and play with my cat. I've gotten used to it. The most activity happens when I haven't acknowledged them in a while. I guess it's their way of letting me know they want attention. In my previous apartment they used to squeeze my shampoo out of the bottles onto the floor and hide objects in places I'd never put them otherwise. I also tend to meet lots of people who've had similar experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 03:04 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,237,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme39 View Post
yes, I used to live in a real haunted house. Years ago, I rented a room from a nice family and every night around 2-3am, I would hear footsteps walk to the bathroom, hear the door close and then I would hear the door open and footsteps back to where ever. Well, after weeks of wondering who it was and everyone denying it was them, I planned on catching them in the act. So one night, I waited... then suddenly the footsteps began... so I opened the door as soon as I hear the footsteps by my room and no one was there. I ran around the house looking to see who was playing with me, and the entire family was sleeping. Well, about a week later on a Saturday morning, I heard everyone in the kitchen cooking breakfast. I waited about 15 minutes, still hearing all the cooking and noise and went to join them, and there was no one there. In fact, the entire family was gone for the day. That night, I told the lady of the house and she just smiled and said. "yes, we have ghost but they will get used to you"
I was in shock and left about a week later.
I don't know, Justme. I'd either think Grampa still lived in the attic or the place was overrun with mice.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:14 PM

788 posts, read 4,068,690 times
For those of you that have had these experiences, do you think the ghosts just want some human contact, or to be remembered? I just wonder what their purpose in communicating with us is. Or, do you think they are even trying to communicate with us at all? Have these experiences affected your spiritual beliefs?

Old 04-12-2007, 03:38 PM

18 posts, read 81,840 times
I would say yes but not in a negative way. I was raised Catholic, but I've kind of let my experiences form my belief system more so than what I was taught I should believe in. Not that what I was taught in Catholic school and church was wrong, just that there's more too it.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:34 AM

341 posts, read 1,487,222 times
I bought a 2 story Victorian house built in 1880. We've had SEVERAL odd things occur here. Although I admittedly am a nay-sayer..well, I have had to revamp my thinking on the subject. We've also had several people here when things occur so I don't feel like I've lost my marbles. Unfortunately,it's becoming increasingly difficult to find pet/house sitters when I go out of town. Do I believe in ghosts..mmmm..not so much. Do I think possibly energy can be replayed over & over. Maybe. Here's some things that've happened. My house can be seen in the rehabilitaing old houses thread. Pix taken in 2002.
We OFTEN see shadows. The largest was adult male size & literally walked between the wall & the refridgerator. I thought my son was going to blackout.
Lots of upstairs walking. Sounds like workboots. Dogs will growl at base of stairs but not go up when this occurs.
Doors opening. They're heavy old doors and two of them require a good shouldering or knee bump to open normally.
Voices. VERY faint & unintelligible but definite talking. We live on 100 acres by ourselves.
Had a Dr Pepper can go haywire vibrating & bouncing around in the sink. Witness, friend visiting & myself & son & mother on phone. I've switched to green tea.
Sensation you're being watched OR that someone's entered the room. (perverbial stuff)
Most intense encounters included: Reading in bed, felt what I thought was my cat starting to walk up from foot of bed (blanket pressing down) looked..no cat..something began touching my ankles & working its way up. I hauled ass out of bed, hightailed it downstairs & hit every light I could. Yes, I'm a bad mother. I left my son asleep upstairs in his room! Eventually went back up & slept in guestroom. Happened 3x's over a month and a half.
Hubby thought I was either nuts or well, nuts. UNTIL...HAH! He sleeps in guestroom (snores like there's no tomorrow) & one night here he comes into my room. Wants to know if he can sleep in with me? Uh,hello? Snoring!No! Why? Because something kept touching HIS head, neck & shoulders! Double HAH! Who's nuts now fella? He's 6' 3" and lacks imagination. That big boy was shook. After a few well dug in I TOLD YOU SO's I let him sleep in with me.

My son's always asking what I want. He hears me calling him. Nope. Wasn't calling him.
List goes on. Yes, it was common for people to die at home in the early 1800's. There's two recorded deaths certified with the state for this home. A 22 year old man that died of TB. And a 54 year old woman that hung herself on the stairwell. I don't try to put much thought into those.
It's had 4 owners. The lady (2nd family) that grew up here lives 1/4 mile away & has her share of stories. Once ironing barefoot her sister wigged out when she felt something drip ontop of her foot. It was blood.
She herself, her Dad & a visiting nephew saw a 20ish looking man standing in the livingroom area looking like he needed something. (Don't go there yeesh)
Oh and in 2004 the damn fire alarm (yes, checked batteries) kept going off at 4:55 a.m.!GAWDDD! Only the one right outside MY bedroom door. It'd go for just a few seconds. Enough to startle the (BLEEP) out of you. Then off! No others went off. Had an electrician look at it (friend) & it's fine. Finally one morning I just covered my face with my hands in bed & screeched KNOCK IT F-ing OFF! Never sounded off again.

Anyhoo, we deal with it and I still don't have a clue as to what to believe or not. All I do know is that things happen that aren't normal day to day events & we can't explain them. So long as it's never dangerous I can deal with it. We're looking to move out of state & eventually the house will share its finer moments with a new family! Rotsa Ruck to them!

Last edited by Coyote_Blond; 04-13-2007 at 07:43 AM..

Old 04-14-2007, 06:44 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,908,193 times
Talking You are very funny Coyote blond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Blond View Post
Hubby thought I was either nuts or well, nuts. UNTIL...HAH! He sleeps in guestroom (snores like there's no tomorrow) & one night here he comes into my room. Wants to know if he can sleep in with me? Uh,hello? Snoring!No! Why? Because something kept touching HIS head, neck & shoulders! Double HAH! Who's nuts now fella? He's 6' 3" and lacks imagination. That big boy was shook. After a few well dug in I TOLD YOU SO's I let him sleep in with me.

Finally one morning I just covered my face with my hands in bed & screeched KNOCK IT F-ing OFF! Never sounded off again.

Anyhoo, we deal with it and I still don't have a clue as to what to believe or not. All I do know is that things happen that aren't normal day to day events & we can't explain them. So long as it's never dangerous I can deal with it. We're looking to move out of state & eventually the house will share its finer moments with a new family! Rotsa Ruck to them!
OMG you are too funny. I've read some of your recent posts (piercings?) & this one is by far the best & the funniest !!! You are a riot !! Please Keep writing- this place needs some laughs My fav. part was about the big-bad husband !!!! LOL !! I can totally relate to that comment. I've got one of them myself. You deserve some Positive Reps Girl !! Come On People- Don't be stingy. Hand'em out - Smok'em if ya gottem'

Old 04-15-2007, 08:56 AM

I will give you a dollar to tell my hubby I'm funny. And I bet he'll just stare at you...then offer you five bucks to remove me. *grins*

Old 04-17-2007, 08:03 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,003,349 times
Here's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Back in the late 70s I had my daughter at swim class. I mentioned that I loved old houses, and wouldn't miss the new house we built at all. One of the moms told me about an old farm house that needed some serious love and wasn't sure if was really for sale. I drove down and took a look. Yeah. There was a sale sign.

OK. Now to convince my husband. 11 acres....a pond....a stream.....beautiful setting. Some guy had bought the farm and sub divided the house and land around the house. We put in a bid.

This place was at the opposite end of the county from where my husband was raised. We went to the court house to do a search. Whoops. In 1902 his great grandparents bought this house. We called his parents. His father used to spend summers there as a kid when they sent him to the country to help on the farm. My in law's called some cousins. They were so excited! They wondered if the old, iron crib was still 'on the attic'. Um. Yeah. It was. Then I started to hope the bid would be turned down. It was getting creepier by the hour. The bid was accepted. We moved in....under the same circumstances as his ancestors.

We could hear the chairs moving at night around the kitchen table downstairs. I began to have dreams about a baby crying. The dog wouldn't go into one of the upstairs rooms. Since it was the family home, we got info from all the great aunts and uncles. A two year old had died in that room after eating fruit from the ground around the orchard.

I often smelled cigar smoke. The great grandfather smoked cigars.

Then one day I was unloading groceries from the car and bringing them into the kitchen. My two year old was running into the living room where I had a lot of needlework laying. I told him to come help me to keep him from getting into the sharp stuff. From the other side of the kitchen I heard, "Me over here, Mommy". Ah. That's wasn't my son I just saw in the other room. My son was putting cans into the jelly cupboard...nowhere near the living room.

The one I can't explain (that most people heard) was the back, exterior door opening and closing by itself. I never could explain that one. We put an addition on the house and added that door. It wasn't there before we lived there.

I really hope those spots on the photos we took of the new home were just the odd spots that sometimes happen.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:11 AM

HAH Rockky! Join the few, the proud, the spooked! I should mention our 1880 home's on just a smidge under 100 acres. The 2nd family living here had a few issues. Including the new step mommy being jealous of the old dead real mommy. In fact she went out, dug up the ash urn of old real step mommy and tossed it AND the headstone marker somewhere out on the acreage. I'm guessing a sinkhole as this area's riddled with them. Okay, ewwwwwww! It was her step daughter who asked me to return the urn if we ever found it. Um, you got it lady!

Old 04-19-2007, 10:58 AM

585 posts, read 614,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
For those of you that have had these experiences, do you think the ghosts just want some human contact, or to be remembered?
I don't know which, but the one that spoke to me got both!

I was in my early 20's and had decided to rent a mobile home in Lexington, NC while I located another place to live. It had a beautiful and very large yard and the neighbor closest to it was an elderly couple. The only downfall at that time in my life was that it was a dry county. Not that I abused, just liked to have a little relaxation at the end of the day.

Anyway, I had been there for 3 mos. (my dog and I). My dog (a doberman) had just (2 days old) given birth to 15 puppies . It was nearing the end of winter, so I had them all in my closet. They would make noise at night and I had decided to stay in the spare room to get sleep.

The very 1st night I was awakened by some female voice saying "Get out of my baby's room." and she wasn't very nice! Well again I was awakened by it so I blew it off. Fell back asleep and same thing. I'm no idiot so I decided to get up and look outside. There wasn't any thing there and the TV or radio wasn't on. I thought to be safe, I might better go back to my room for the rest of the night.

The next day I saw my neighbor in her yard. I went over and had normal "how are you" conversation and then I worked it in about my "weird dream". She got this look on her face that scared me. She went on to tell me a story about a young girl that had lived there just before me. It seems this girl was having an affair with a married man and he had put her up in this home. She had gotten pregnant, had a little girl and he still would not leave his wife to be with them. The girl had gone into such deep depression that she had placed the baby in it's crib. Turned the air conditioner way down (I don't know maybe she thought the baby would freeze to death ) and went into the living room. There she sat on the couch and shot herself.

She continued to tell me that I was the first person to stay there although it had been 2 years prior. I told her thanks for the information and it had been nice knowing her.

I moved out that day! This girl wouldn't have to worry about me being in her baby's room or any where else in that home.

I have been finding myself very interested in "The Montel Williams Show" on Wednesdays. He has a physic on there every week and a lot of what she says makes sense. Her name is Sylvia Brown and she has written several books, none of which I have seen yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House