Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 10:37 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,045 times

Advertisements

We just moved into a house that has engineered hardwood flooring in the living room/dining room/kitchen. We want to put rugs by the door that comes in from the garage and in front of the patio door- and the ones we have to put down have the rubber backing on them. I have read lots of comments about those being bad, that they will discolor the hardwood- but my question is, how bad is the discoloration? One of the rugs we are using is 6 or 7 years old and never discolored the vinyl flooring it sat on in our previous house, so would that mean it's less likely to be an issue with our hardwood? And if we always plan to have rugs in these two spots, will it really matter, will the damage be anything other than just a slight bit of discoloration or changing of the shade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 12:37 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
The discoloration is not from the rug per se...

It's caused from moisture getting trapped underneath the rug. It's much better to use non-rubber-backed rugs/mats. But don't depend on just the one. Have another set that you can change out with weekly.

Even after through explanation during H/O orientation I would still get "warranty" calls about this- "sorry, can't replace because you didn't follow correct protocol". I even had a couple of H/O's that did the same thing with a dog's food/water bowls- mat underneath, and was never moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House