Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 06:30 AM

153 posts, read 540,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
The capacity rating given by AHRI is based on an 80°F drybulb, 67°F wetbulb indoors and a 95°F outdoor ambient. Those are called rated load conditions. That's where RLA or rated load amperage comes from.

Yes, that's true... but my area design temp is 75 degrees. This is how the estimated cost chart works. It is estimated BigJon. WHY? Because there are variances all over the place... no two people will run the AC at the same temperature, temperature varies it does not stand still.

As another example of variance is that a quote unquote 4 ton air conditioner for one manufacturer may be 47,000 BTU/h while another manufacturer maybe 45,500 BTU/h. There is nothing in this industry that concise.

However, if you take ACTUAL operation costs this is measureable and you can get a good idea of efficiency rating.

Quote:
The calculation for SEER for a air source system using a dual stage compressor is in section 4 of ANSI/AHRI STANDARD 210/240-2008.

If you're using...

http://www.ahrinet.org/App_Content/a...%20and%202.pdf

...that's EER and it's just a snapshot of the efficiency at that given set of conditions like what you explained above.
I haven't had a chance to look at this yet... but just to be clear I am only stating efficiencies I've attained based on MY OWN PERSONAL USE. It is an example only that merely comes from cutting waste. Will there be variances and differences from one house to another... sure. It's like miles per gallon on a car. If you drive the car with a lead foot you can more or less throw mpg data out the window.

Quote:
I'm not trying to rain on your parade I just think you're getting confused at what SEER and EER is. If you made an excel spread sheet with the SEER calculation from AHRI then you get props for that one.
SEER is how air conditioning equipment is rated. That is why I use SEER. I am not confused. $51 light bill last month living in Houston does not spell confusion... does it?

BigJon, I don't take it as you trying to rain on my parade... there is no parade... just very low light bills while being 100% comfy. Isn't that the goal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Okay, I watched your video and now I'm even more sure you're misrepresenting what SEER is.
http://www.ari.org/App_Content/ahri/...%20and%202.pdf

What do you see there? You see different standards for different types of systems. In your spreadsheet you make no distinction between different types of systems (like AHRI and the DOE does). Your spreadsheet is fatally flawed.
Why does the document you posted say: "does not apply to air cooled products" and that SEER should be used?

PS. The air conditioners I am referencing are AIR COOLED.
Attached Thumbnails
Air Conditioning costs for a bedroom-bigjon01.jpg  

Last edited by Tech443; 06-25-2014 at 07:00 AM..

Old 06-26-2014, 05:07 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,206 times
Amazing, you can't have SEER outside of a LAB but that's how ALL A/C units are sold and there is a required low limit of 13 in the USA, the higher the SEER the more the unit will cost but the cost to operate would be lower.
I WONDER who is "confused" in this thread.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:38 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech443 View Post
Why does the document you posted say: "does not apply to air cooled products" and that SEER should be used?

PS. The air conditioners I am referencing are AIR COOLED.
Okay, so you can play dumb. Great.

Quote:
The Integrated Energy Efficiency Ratio (IEER) methodology has been added to the standard for water-cooled and evaporatively-cooled products. It is not intended for air-cooled products which should be rated with SEER.
[emphasis mine]

You aren't trying to say ANSI/AHRI STANDARD 210/240 isn't for air based systems are you? I sure hope not.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Amazing, you can't have SEER outside of a LAB but that's how ALL A/C units are sold and there is a required low limit of 13 in the USA, the higher the SEER the more the unit will cost but the cost to operate would be lower.
I WONDER who is "confused" in this thread.
Quote:
9.2 The Independent, Third-Party Laboratory Contracted by AHRI (Laboratory). An ISO 17025 accredited Laboratory is contracted by AHRI to support the testing operations of each certification program. The Laboratory is selected by AHRI through a competitive bidding process. For certification programs with ENERGY STAR® products, the Laboratory shall be recognized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). During the term of the contract with the selected Laboratory, all AHRI tests are conducted or witnessed by the Laboratory personnel.
[emphasis mine]

http://www.ari.org/App_Content/ahri/...General_OM.pdf

Manufacturers can make whatever claims they want to but they will not be accredited until they are verified in a laboratory. The reasoning behind that is because the calculation for finding out the efficiency of an HVAC system is very narrowly defined and the ability to actually achieve those exact conditions and verify it can only be done in a lab. The reasons that Tech443 stated are true that conditions always change and they can literally change in seconds. There can be a measurable difference in performance by the sun simply being covered by clouds. Those are not ideal situations to verify any piece of HVAC equipment so that it can be certified.

Also, you can find out the efficiency of any system if you know the airflow, the power usage and the ΔT (EER). You would have to know very specific information though to rate that over the course of an entire season.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Okay, so you can play dumb. Great.

[emphasis mine]

You aren't trying to say ANSI/AHRI STANDARD 210/240 isn't for air based systems are you? I sure hope not.

No, not playing dumb... trying to determine if you actually read your own source of information.

Again--- the metrics AHRI uses to rate air cooled air conditioning equipment is SEER.

Posting the same document over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

Explain yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Air Conditioning costs for a bedroom-bigjon02.jpg  

Old 06-27-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech443 View Post
No, not playing dumb... trying to determine if you actually read your own source of information.

Again--- the metrics AHRI uses to rate air cooled air conditioning equipment is SEER.

Posting the same document over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

Explain yourself.
Quote:
4. CALCULATIONS OF SEASONAL PERFORMANCE DESCRIPTORS
4.1 Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) Calculations.
4.1.1 SEER calculations for an air conditioner or heat pump having a single-speed compressor that was tested with a fixed-speed indoor fan installed, a constant-air-volume-rate indoor fan installed, or with no indoor fan installed.
4.1.2 SEER calculations for an air conditioner or heat pump having a single-speed compressor and a variable-speed variable-air-volume-rate indoor fan.
4.1.2.1 Units covered by section 3.2.2.1 where indoor fan capacity modulation correlates with the outdoor dry bulb temperature.
4.1.2.2 Units covered by section 3.2.2.2 where indoor fan capacity modulation is used to adjust the sensible to total cooling capacity ratio.
4.1.3 SEER calculations for an air conditioner or heat pump having a two-capacity compressor.
4.1.3.1 Steady-state space cooling capacity at low compressor capacity is greater than or equal to the building cooling load at temperature Tj, Q• ck=1(Tj) ≥ BL(Tj).
4.1.3.2 Unit alternates between high (k=2) and low (k=1) compressor capacity to satisfy the building cooling load at temperature Tj, Q• ck=1 (Tj) < BL(Tj) < Q• c k=2(Tj).
4.1.3.3 Unit only operates at high (k=2) compressor capacity at temperature Tj and its capacity is greater than the building cooling load, BL(Tj) < Q• ck=2(Tj).
4.1.3.4 Unit must operate continuously at high (k=2) compressor capacity at temperature Tj, BL(Tj) ≥ Q• ck=2(Tj).
4.1.4 SEER calculations for an air conditioner or heat pump having a variable-speed compressor.
4.1.4.1 Steady-state space cooling capacity when operating at minimum compressor speed is greater than or equal to the building cooling load at temperature Tj, Q• ck=1(Tj) ≥ BL(Tj).
4.1.4.2 Unit operates at an intermediate compressor speed (k=i) in order to match the building cooling load at temperature Tj, Q• ck=1(Tj) < BL(Tj) < Q• ck=2(Tj).
4.1.4.3 Unit must operate continuously at maximum (k=2) compressor speed at temperature Tj, BL(Tj) ≥ Q• ck=2(Tj).
I'm not sure I understand what you want me to explain. Do you not understand the above because those are the calculations I've repeatedly brought up. Using IEER and claiming that the document is not used to rate air cooled equipment is disingenuous and simply a deflection. They're right there starting on page 90 in nauseating detail.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:14 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand what you want me to explain. Do you not understand the above because those are the calculations I've repeatedly brought up. Using IEER and claiming that the document is not used to rate air cooled equipment is disingenuous and simply a deflection. They're right there starting on page 90 in nauseating detail.
First off you have to understand what AHRI does. They work in a lab under lab conditions in a concise environment to rate matched air conditioning equipment.

Assuming that you work on air conditioning in the field, how often do you come across properly matched equipment... of the same name brand that you can obtain an ARI/AHRI number? If you can't get an ARI / AHRI number then how could you get an estimation of energy efficiency if you wanted one? Is the temperature always the same indoor and out? Realizing there are many times multiple ways to do things. Out in the field it is estimation, because operation is in a random environment that a lab is not under. The goal here is to get an idea... if you're off by a few dollars or few tenths of points in SEER rating it won't matter much under the next heat wave that hits.

The article you posted is easily taken out of context, which is clearly what you point out in your last post of not knowing what to explain to me. If you look to the last picture I posted it clearly shows that AHRI only publishes the information that you see listed in that last picture I posted, this is what I take from it. This is the info you have to go by, because there is no other... this is how the equipment is rated. You can't glean something from information that isn't published. They state this on page 2 of the document to try to save you from yourself, which was the first picture I posted. These people that write this stuff are mechanical engineers, and the words they use can very easily be taken out of context.

My goal being an HVAC contractor is to make it easy for anyone to understand. It doesn't have to be that hard. The proof is in the light bill. The efficiency number really doesn't matter after the fact unless you are faced with a high light bill... it's just a rating that tells you where you are in the spectrum of potential AC operating costs.

I tell you what, let me know if you are in an area with design temp of 95 out door ambient and 75 degree indoor temp and the following information:

1: The average cost you pay for electricity per KWH. (cents per kilowatt)
2: How many HVAC units you have and the tonnage of those units.
3: The temperature at which the units are run. (average temp... I know this will fluctuate)
4: Do you have gas heat or electric heat?
5: Your highest summer electric bill... the total cost including service charges.
6: Your lowest winter or spring electric bill... the total cost including service charges.
7: General location of where you live... like nearest city.
8. Do you have a pool pump or anything else that runs in the summer, but off in the winter?
9: If you are on average billing just give me total cost including service charges per month and tell me you are on avg. billing.

DO NOT tell me the SEER rating of your HVAC systems.

I will tell you what your SEER rating is based on your own usage. Just realize that the further away from design temp that you set your thermostat the rating will be skewed one way or the other. The rating serves as your own personal rating for how you run the equipment.

Last edited by Tech443; 06-28-2014 at 04:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House