Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:12 AM

592 posts, read 1,478,450 times

Advertisements

an island in a "regular" sized kitchen, do you prefer the sink or stove in the island?

We already chose (and just installed) so not going to sway us now... but thought its an interesting topic. This new topic was influenced by someone who recently posted their house designs for people to evaluate, and they have the sink in the island.

Anyway Details on our kitchen, and the island, are here.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/house...-cabinets.html

So, we opted for the stove in the island because i see the work in the sink as just that... work.
Whereas cooking on the stovetop has more opportunity for "fun" and interaction with the guests and family.

No one really chats up the person washing pots in the sink... and its a fast "let's just get it done" process.

But cooking on the stove can be more like art, and takes time. Having someone sitting at the counter interacting with "oh you put so-and-so into your gravy?" "Sure, put some mushrooms in my omlette".

Ideally I think the stove in the island with a small prep-sink would be cool, but we didnt have space for that (hmmm... although now that we've rotated the island we probably did have space! doh!)

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 09:24 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,003 times
I love entertaining, so I chose stove in the island. It's a blast to have your friends around you sipping wine and chatting while you cook. I hate cooking with my butt to my guests and my face in a wall (or microwave). It feels like punishment and then you don't get to interact with the rest of the party. I also hate having messy dishes in the middle of the room.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:40 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Probably ninty percent of the time you are not entertaining and things will pile up in the kitchen sink until you wash the dishes or put them in the dishwasher. That pile of dirty dishes - a monument to the kid's breakfast or last nights pasta - shouldn't be on the island.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:44 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times
I've seen both styles and I think I would prefer to have the stove in the center. It's hard enough keeping the area dry with a sink facing a wall or window. It just looks like a disaster waiting to happen with a water source in the middle. Plus, if there was some kind of water damage the whole island would probably be destroyed underneath. Something like that in a tradition casing would usually only impact the undersick cabinet.

I hope you like your new kitchen!

Old 04-08-2014, 09:48 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,522 times
Kitchen sinks belong under a window, preferably one with a nice view. I don't know why, but this is important to me. Perhaps it relieves the tedium of cleaning up by being able to look outside.

OTOH, I don't like putting the stove on the island, particularly if it's a smaller island. Just me perhaps, but I like islands that are large open work space.

I do understand the idea of people gathering around while cooking, and that the stove can sort of be a social gathering place. We have our stove on a peninsula, and there is a bar on one side of the peninsula and people do like to sit there when we are cooking.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:49 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Plumbing issues would lead me to keep the sink close to a wall instead of the middle of the kitchen.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:35 PM

132 posts, read 545,137 times
We put neither in the island, and although I agree that it's nice to be able to see people while you cook, I would be hard pressed to put a stove in the island. Too much chance of splattering oil or burning someone while you cook, if this is also somewhere people are seated and eating. Particularly if you have children, this strikes me as a fairly unsafe arrangement.

But I agree that sinks belong under windows (which is where we put ours). We simply reserved the entire island for a combination of eating area/food prep and put the appliances on the outside wall.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:57 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
If I had to put one in I'd put a sink but I would prefer neither. I'd rather have the space for food prep and/or setting out for people to eat if we are entertaining. We have a large kitchen with a large island that does not have a sink or stove and I prefer that.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:31 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
We were originally going to place the main sink beneath a window along the perimeter of our kitchen, but our architect thinks we should place our main sink in the island, opposite our range. (We're going to have a second smaller sink in another section of the kitchen.)

The kitchen layout & dimensions are going to look similar to the attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Island:  Sink or Stove?-kitchen-refrigerator-traulsen-full-glass-door.jpg  

Old 04-08-2014, 06:00 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,136 times
I don't like anything on my island, I want all the room for baking canning, cooking etc... Nor do I want people in the kitchen while I'm cooking,baking etc .. I never got that one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House