Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 04:08 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,033,814 times

Advertisements

OK, here is my rant. I have a new computer and five new large 27" monitors to hook up to it. Got a great deal on them all.

Now my problem. I need a new desk that is big enough to hold all these monitors. The first thing I did was to talk to a carpenter about building a custom desk. When he started talking about the need to put a heavy metal frame under the wood, it became obvious to me that the price would be more then I could afford.

So on to plan B. Find a place to buy a desk that is big enough to hold these monitors. After a search, I determined that the only place that sells a desk the size I need is IKEA. It seems they have a monopoly on large desks. Now I have never bought anything from IKEA. I have only been in their store one time. I didn't like it much. I'll leave it at that. But they have the desk I need for just $280 and I'm only about five miles away from their store anyway. So OK it's all good.

Now the next problem. When I check the IKEA website for the availability of the desk, this is the message I get: "This product is out of stock at your selected store. At the moment the expected delivery date is unavailable. This product is also available for online purchase. See “Buy online”."

Now the catch. The "buy online" option has a delivery fee of $100 attached, plus some rather bazaar conditions about not delivering it to the door. WTF? In my opinion this is just complete extortion. FedEx or UPS would deliver this thing from anywhere in the country for probably $20. I just had two larger items then this delivered by FedEx. Everybody else has free delivery, but IKEA wants $100?

So now I'm stuck with a new computer and monitors, and no desk to put them on.

Anybody have any ideas about any of this? Do you shop and IKEA, and if so how do you deal with them? Should I just pay the ripoff $100 and have them deliver it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 04:16 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
It's probably too big for parcel delivery so they have to do a truck ship. I've had it done for some other things and it's really bizarre when they drive a truck up to your house empty except for your one item which barely fills one corner. You can imagine having a whole truck and driver taken up for one or two deliveries is far more expensive than a package on a UPS or Fedex truck, so the charge is going to be much greater.

You might try calling the store and finding out if you can get them to order it for you. But make sure it will fit in your vehicle first.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:18 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
I do not find Ikea to be a pleasant shopping experience but I occasionally buy things from them. I would not pay the $100 shipping fee. The quality of their products is pretty low and is only worth it if you can get it for a cheap price. Have you checked consignment, thrift stores and craigslist for a desk? You may be able to find something that is higher quality but for less money then Ikea.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:26 PM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post

Now the next problem. When I check the IKEA website for the availability of the desk, this is the message I get: "This product is out of stock at your selected store. At the moment the expected delivery date is unavailable. This product is also available for online purchase. See “Buy online”."

Now the catch. The "buy online" option has a delivery fee of $100 attached, plus some rather bazaar conditions about not delivering it to the door.
Check the availability at other stores.
Then, either you can drive there and get it yourself, or you can get a friends to buy it and ship it to you (since you say it could be shipped more cheaply than what IKEA is charging).

Another option: consider dining room tables as a desk.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:28 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,891,396 times
Why not build a shelf unit to fit the monitors and put a regular desk in front of it. Or buy a shelving unit that will hold the monitors at the correct level and if feasible, make it so the monitors are in front and beside you.......kinda L shape around the desk.
I use two monitors and just put them on a shelf in front of the desk. That way I still have full use of the desk.
I don't know why you have 5 monitors or if they all display at once, but get creative on how to place them. If not side by side, how about wall mount 2 or 3 and side by side 2 more on a long table in front of the desk.
Jus tryin to help.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
It's probably too big for parcel delivery so they have to do a truck ship. I've had it done for some other things and it's really bizarre when they drive a truck up to your house empty except for your one item which barely fills one corner. You can imagine having a whole truck and driver taken up for one or two deliveries is far more expensive than a package on a UPS or Fedex truck, so the charge is going to be much greater.

You might try calling the store and finding out if you can get them to order it for you. But make sure it will fit in your vehicle first.
Thanks I might try that. According to the website it comes in eight packages. The biggest one is 69 inches long and weighs 39lbs. Thats well within FedEx / UPS delivery standards. I've had bigger things then that delivered, and for free.

I guess my problem is that I think it's a scam to get an extra $100 out of me. They have a football stadium size store. I find it hard to believe that they don't have this desk in stock there. I'd bet that that is where it's going to be delivered from. They just want the milk another $100 out of me. But maybe I'm wrong.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I do not find Ikea to be a pleasant shopping experience but I occasionally buy things from them. I would not pay the $100 shipping fee. The quality of their products is pretty low and is only worth it if you can get it for a cheap price. Have you checked consignment, thrift stores and craigslist for a desk? You may be able to find something that is higher quality but for less money then Ikea.
Thanks, that is another option I'm looking at. There are plenty of used office furniture places around here that have great deals on large used desks and conference tables, that could work. The quality would be better. But some of that stuff weighs a lot. I'd have to hire a couple of guys to help me, or maybe pay more then $100 to get it delivered and set up. Plus it could take a lot of time to shop around all the places and find the right desk or table. I might have to do that though.

I know the IKEA quality is low. That's why I don't usually like to shop there. But I do need it quick. Thats why I was ready to settle for IKEA.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Check the availability at other stores.
Then, either you can drive there and get it yourself, or you can get a friends to buy it and ship it to you (since you say it could be shipped more cheaply than what IKEA is charging).

Another option: consider dining room tables as a desk.
Thanks, I'll consider that. The desk seems to be out of stock at any location within a driving distance of me. I did check other stores. Thats why I suspect it's just a scam to force me to pay a $100 for shipping.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:15 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,423,827 times
We have a few things from IKEA here (sofa and butcher block counter tops), but don't much care for the shopping experience. But we bought the sofa from craigslist because it was Perpetually out of stock at the local store. I'm talking Months in a row out of stock, where we even called up and asked and set friends who were in the area through to ask.... they were honestly out of stock. Same ended up being true with the counter tops (out of the small and middle size), so we ended up buying Way more than needed and turned the rest into a table.

I think your perception on shipping is massively skewed. You Are paying normal rates (and no, $20 will not get anything of size/weight any kind of distance), it's just wrapped into the item pricing. IKEA doesn't artificially inflate their pricing just so they can make shipping appear cheaper. I know, it's easier to think that everyone is out to "get" you.

As for your conundrum, why not make something yourself? You can buy quad LCD stands for under $100 that will simply clamp to a table surface. 4 27" LCD are about 100lbs, not exactly a ton of weight. Then pick up a table from craigslist and you're set. Or, pic up some hairpin legs (most will hold about 300lbs), use some sort of slab of wood (we used our leftover IKEA butcher block counter) and you can have a table of any length you want. There are a TON of other DIY options that are under ~$300, could look great and fit your needs/space Exactly. That's the route I went back before I gave up desktop computers and I can't imagine doing it any other way if I ever return.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:30 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I've only been to IKEA twice, since I don't live anywhere near one, but my impression was that its for folks who want trendy, temporary furniture. If you want trendy, temporary furniture, put a door on two saw horses and take your time finding something you like from a source that will appreciate your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House