Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 07:38 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Actually I have the scenario your looking for actually done using the following furniture to create a L shaped cockpit with 7ft on both sides.

Bush Office pro series.
Bush OfficePro Series, Beech | from OfficeMax

For mine I didn't install the hutch doors and I added plywood to the back so I had something to drill to. Even w/o the plywood you could place three 50" TVs on top and will hutch will never bow. Past the plywood the only other thing I needed was a hole drilling tip (same kit as used to drill door holes for door knobs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 08:18 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. The IKEA GALLANT desk will be perfect.
Just use extenders.

2. IKEA wants you to shop in person.
They deliberately make it painful to shop/buy online. Don't even think about doing that.
Buy in person.
So you think if I drive up there, it will be in stock. Even though the website shows that it is out of stock at every single store within 500 miles of me?

I hope it is that easy, but I'm not so sure.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:31 PM

284 posts, read 379,175 times
They are in no way trying to bait and switch you. If you've seen their warehouse, they have massive amounts of stock for everyone to pick up - just not the one item you're looking for. Go to your store and see if they have the item you want in stock. Tell them to check inventory and see if they'll sell you the floor model since there's none in inventory and none coming in. I did that and got 20% off a loveseat because of that. There was no point in them keeping the floor model if it's only available online -- no bait and switch in their agenda.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:34 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I have been to IKEA twice. I absolutely hate the fact that you go to get one specific item and they force you to walk around the entire store to get to the check-outs.
That is definitely NOT the case at IKEA Pittsburgh... and I would think that IKEA Pittsburgh is not unique in that way.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:36 PM

FWIW, here is the FAQ from the website. This desk would be 79lbs in five packages, and costs $280. I wonder I could order each part separately. At least then it would only cost me $75 for shipping. Still expensive, but not quite as bad.

Quote:
Parcel delivery

For most orders that weigh less than 70lbs and the order value is less than $200.00, minimum delivery cost is $15.00. See below for the days of the week we deliver to your area.

Local in-home delivery

Most orders that weigh more than 70lbs and the order value is more than $200.00, minimum delivery cost $99.00. See below for the days of the week we deliver to your area.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Actually I have the scenario your looking for actually done using the following furniture to create a L shaped cockpit with 7ft on both sides.

Bush Office pro series.
Bush OfficePro Series, Beech | from OfficeMax

For mine I didn't install the hutch doors and I added plywood to the back so I had something to drill to. Even w/o the plywood you could place three 50" TVs on top and will hutch will never bow. Past the plywood the only other thing I needed was a hole drilling tip (same kit as used to drill door holes for door knobs).
Thanks. That would work, but unfortunately I don't have enough room for it.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
They are in no way trying to bait and switch you. If you've seen their warehouse, they have massive amounts of stock for everyone to pick up - just not the one item you're looking for. Go to your store and see if they have the item you want in stock. Tell them to check inventory and see if they'll sell you the floor model since there's none in inventory and none coming in. I did that and got 20% off a loveseat because of that. There was no point in them keeping the floor model if it's only available online -- no bait and switch in their agenda.
Thanks, sounds like a good idea.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:49 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
So you think if I drive up there, it will be in stock.
No.
Computerized inventory is not always accurate. Personal experience. Second trip for 1/12 item. Annoying.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
That is definitely NOT the case at IKEA Pittsburgh... and I would think that IKEA Pittsburgh is not unique in that way.
Maybe you are lucky. You have a good IKEA. But the one in East Palo Alto is like that. It's laid out like a maze. There is only one way in and one way out. Just hope you can find your way through it.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:48 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times
Your biggest problem will be assembling the contents of the eight packages. That's the main complaint I've heard about Ikea, and no, I've never shopped there. Personally, if this is the perfect desk for your situation, I'd just suck it up and pay the $100 shipping. You've found what you're looking for and it's cheaper than the custom made one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House