Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 02:28 PM

675 posts, read 1,701,991 times

Advertisements

In an average-sized room (10'x10') with no overhead lighting, a plastered ceiling (regular 7' height flat ceiling), and no attic/ceiling access from above, what would be the cheapest option for installing fixed lighting?

Installing in the ceiling naturally would be an expensive production, and wall lighting would be arguably cheaper/easier to install. However to get an adequate amount of light from wall fixtures one would probably have to install quite a lot of them and since sconces cost quite a bit more than recessed can lights I'm wondering if it would be the same or even cheaper to go with recessed lights?

My priorities here are inexpensive installation (yet safe - we're calling an electrician) and lots of light - I'm not fussed about "mood lighting", I just want to be able to flick a wall switch and be able to see without squinting.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 03:01 PM

122 posts, read 235,761 times
10'x10' needs 4 recessed cans.
If youre hiring an electrician, work on a fixed price while you buy the items yourself.
4 recessed cans at 6 each, 4 br30 bulbs and some 14-2 nm-b(50ft? Not sure why that many but you can have a lot less).
Wall sconces will be difficult as light projection will not be as efficient.
You can install hanging light fixtures that offset an inch off the ceiling but if your ceiling is low, you will have a sense of an even lower ceiling height. But you can do one light fixture instead of 4 and a regular bulb.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:03 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Most electricians skilled in doing remodel work will have the experience and tools to do this even if there is no access to attic space. One of the key tools is a extended drill -- New England 1/2" x 72" Long Flexible Shaft Fish Bit Bell Hanger Type at Arizona Tools

Basically if there is no other obstacle (like air ducts or plumbing...) this will take most of a day and labor will be several hundred dollars.

The "can" or housings for this generally under $30 -- Halo Recessed H995RICAT 4-Inch LED Remodel Housing IC Air-Tite Shallow Ceiling 120-Volt Line Voltage - Recessed Light Fixture Housings - Amazon.com

You can get integrated style LED illumination for about $40 Recessed LED Retrofit or just get $15 baffles and use regualr bulbs

I don't recommend ordering this stuff without being sure that that electrician is comfortable with you doing so, just thought it would be helpful to understand what will be needed...

Old 05-23-2014, 07:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
We didn't use attic access to install any of our lighting. We did recessed in our bedroom and track in our kitchen. Track lighting would be the cheapest to install because it only requires one hole in the ceiling for an entire track. It's just a matter of running the wire up the wall and across the ceiling. Multiple small holes are put in the wall and ceiling, which need to be repaired afterwards. That's why track lighting would be cheaper. It's less wire, less holes, less everything. We do all this work ourselves. It just takes a couple of hours. You could save money on the installation (if you hire an electrician) by repairing the wall and ceiling yourself.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:20 PM

122 posts, read 235,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Most electricians skilled in doing remodel work will have the experience and tools to do this even if there is no access to attic space. One of the key tools is a extended drill -- New England 1/2" x 72" Long Flexible Shaft Fish Bit Bell Hanger Type at Arizona Tools

Basically if there is no other obstacle (like air ducts or plumbing...) this will take most of a day and labor will be several hundred dollars.

The "can" or housings for this generally under $30 -- Halo Recessed H995RICAT 4-Inch LED Remodel Housing IC Air-Tite Shallow Ceiling 120-Volt Line Voltage - Recessed Light Fixture Housings - Amazon.com

You can get integrated style LED illumination for about $40 Recessed LED Retrofit or just get $15 baffles and use regualr bulbs

I don't recommend ordering this stuff without being sure that that electrician is comfortable with you doing so, just thought it would be helpful to understand what will be needed...
Just get BR30 Cree LED bulbs for $10 a pop from HD and buy a br30 trim from the internet at 3 a piece.
Total cost = 15 after shipping.
Those recessed led trim kits are a pain. I installed 3 and because they are recessed into the can, you will get shadows.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:07 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontesi View Post
Those recessed led trim kits are a pain. I installed 3 and because they are recessed into the can, you will get shadows.
That's true. Our kitchen is brighter with tract lighting than our bedroom with recessed lighting.

Thank goodness it's not the other way around because I need to see in the kitchen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House