Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 14,723 times

Advertisements

Wonder if we are getting an honest quote! Our 12 year old TRAIN 14 Seer is not cooling the upstairs of our 3700 square foot house.

The A/C repair man is telling us we need to replace the air compressor for $2700 and they can't get in touch with TRAIN for the actual "TRAIN" parts until Monday?! This was on Friday and I live in Phoenix and it's hot - is this a typical wait time and a realistic cost for replacing the air compressor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 08:15 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Dirt cheap

for a TRAIN air compressor

I am sure that GE charges much more.

Maybe you should consider a Trane compressor.
This Trane Air Conditioners Prices - Pros, Cons, and Cost says the price is about right.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:51 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
for a TRAIN air compressor

I am sure that GE charges much more.

Maybe you should consider a Trane compressor.
This Trane Air Conditioners Prices - Pros, Cons, and Cost says the price is about right.
LOLOLOLOL

Judith, I have had to wait 10 days for a Maytag part before in August in Tennessee with 95 degree temps and high humidity. It sounds about right. Just call them every day to check on it. Be a squeaky wheel.

Be glad he isn't telling you that you need a whole new unit or a separate upstairs unit (which you probably do). That's the setup we had in our 4,000 sq ft house.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:26 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Yeah Dave, thought the same thing.

The OP doesn't mention the tonnage of the unit, but it is likely one of the larger ones. The price and wait times are pretty much in line. Unless there is some contractor that keeps spares on his own shelves (quite possible in that area), it is a wait.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:33 AM

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
I never understand why people will put one AC to cool a large 2 story house. Instead of a 4-ton (which is what I suspect the OP has), it's so much more economical to have 2 2-ton units one for up and one for down. I have my upstairs unit in the attic and the supply vents in the ceiling and it only takes a short time to cool the place down. And yes, that price sounds about right.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:59 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Many businesses are only open Monday through Friday - not open weekends.

Why don't you go buy a window air conditioner for now which will cool one room at least? (Note get a 120 volt type and be sure you have an outlet available which is on a 20 amp (not 15 amp) circuit. Each circuit breaker will say 15 or 20 on it.)

Old 06-07-2014, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 14,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I never understand why people will put one AC to cool a large 2 story house. Instead of a 4-ton (which is what I suspect the OP has), it's so much more economical to have 2 2-ton units one for up and one for down. I have my upstairs unit in the attic and the supply vents in the ceiling and it only takes a short time to cool the place down. And yes, that price sounds about right.

We actually have 2 units - the one for the downstairs is fine, but the upstairs unit is not working. I called another AC company and they told me I should consider replacing the whole unit for what you pay for just the compressor. They are TRANE units 14 seer -- pretty heavy duty. I've heard they last only 12 - 15 years which does make me wonder if it is worth the money to put $2700 into a 12 year old unit.

Thank you to all for your replies they have been very helpful.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:53 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJudith View Post
We actually have 2 units - the one for the downstairs is fine, but the upstairs unit is not working. I called another AC company and they told me I should consider replacing the whole unit for what you pay for just the compressor. They are TRANE units 14 seer -- pretty heavy duty. I've heard they last only 12 - 15 years which does make me wonder if it is worth the money to put $2700 into a 12 year old unit.

Thank you to all for your replies they have been very helpful.
We replaced ours a couple years ago, same specs. It was $6100.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:29 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
The newer units can be much more energy efficient. They will pay for themselves over a period of years with the savings on electricity.

Check out Bryant too. They have had very efficient units in the past.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:13 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Maybe one of the HVAC folks can answer this, wouldn't a 12 year old Trane have R-22? Replacing the compressor will let them still use the rest of the unit, but replacing the entire condenser will also require changing the evap coil ($$$ especially if evap is in a tight attic) also, wouldn't it?

I has a similar issue on a purchased use home, but decided to replace the enite package (Condenser, evap coil, furnace, elect filter, etc) as it was the most cost effective based on age and potential future breakdowns. But if I was on a budget or knew the reminder of the items was very well maintained, I would just go with the compressor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House