Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 04:27 AM

Location: 4 Springfield St. Fifth Floor Three Rivers, MA 01080 USA
10 posts, read 11,250 times

Advertisements

Which of the floor coating is better epoxy or urethane and what is the best reason for choosing one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 06:36 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
This is probably the best around-

Wolverine Coatings Corporation

Don't even think "big box" or brick&mortar paint stores- not worth it!

Old 06-11-2014, 07:04 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epfloors87 View Post
Which of the floor coating is better epoxy or urethane and what is the best reason for choosing one?
You need to define your installation requirements:

1) What is the substrate? present condition?

2) What are your performance requirements?

3) What are your cosmetic requirements?

4) What are your installation concerns? floor temperature?

5) What's your budget for installed cost psf?

6) What are your concerns for durability? Hot tire pick-up if vehicles are to be driven onto the surface?

7) What is your desired surface finish/texture? Chemical resistance?

8) What are your concerns re UV resistance/color fading/gloss retention?

9) How much mil thickness do you want/need for the performance of the system?

Nobody can give you a reasonable answer to a coating system without knowing at least these basic questions.

There are many concerns involved with specifying the "best" coating system. No manufacturer has a one-sized fits all best. Individual installers/contractors may have a track record of good experience with a particular system used across a wide variety of applications, but that doesn't mean that there aren't numerous other ways to accomplish what they've done ... at a wide range of installed costs and possible huge differences in the performance/cosmetics of what has been installed. What you have for a substrate and what you are willing to do to prepare it for installation, outage time, cure time available, are among the many factors in specifying a system.

The minimum system I typically do for a residential garage floor system is a 100% solids primer epoxy coat, an epoxy body coat, and a urethane top coat. The epoxy gives a mil thickness needed to resist hot tire pickup while the urethane provides chemical, UV, and abrasion resistance. If somebody wants a broadcast color chip floor, then a clear urethane (preferably two coats) is a good choice for a seal coat. There's a range of cost psf, depending upon the performance, durability, and cosmetics desired ... and the product choices.

If you're seeking to coat a space for uses other than a garage or workshop, then a wide range of options exist. A deck coating around a swimming pool or hot tub is different than a coating for a kitchen or laundry area or a rec room or bathroom or various commercial uses such as retail foot traffic or warehouse floors.

So, what have you got and what do you want to accomplish?

Last edited by sunsprit; 06-11-2014 at 07:13 AM..

Old 06-11-2014, 10:06 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Used in gray on new concrete floor:

Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield 2-gal. Tan High-Gloss 2-Part Epoxy Garage Floor Coating Kit-251871 at The Home Depot

Lasted around five years before it started chipping (not peeling). So I don't advise epoxy.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:00 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Whatever you choose, the longevity of the floor is all about the prep before hand. Don't skimp or rush it. If you do go with one of the home improvement store kits, don't even bother with the acid crystals they give you. Go to the concrete and masonry aisle and get muriatic acid. If there is a smallest hint of grease or oil on the slab now, you must get that totally clean with something like TSP before even doing the acid treatment,

Old 06-11-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Used in gray on new concrete floor:

Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield 2-gal. Tan High-Gloss 2-Part Epoxy Garage Floor Coating Kit-251871 at The Home Depot

Lasted around five years before it started chipping (not peeling). So I don't advise epoxy.

the kit at Home Depot is the cheapest of the cheap for quality and not representative of the products available in the industry. Not a good way to judge "epoxy" performance as a coating for a new concrete garage floor.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:28 PM

While muriatic acid will clean and etch a concrete floor, it's difficult to control to create a uniformly prepped surface.

I've seen so many jobs prepped by "professionals" this way that failed in short order in the areas where it didn't have enough time or concentration to do the job properly.

Plus, it's an environmental hazard around adjacent areas, landscaping, or down the drain, and difficult to completely neutralize.

My preference is to either BlastTrak or diamond grind a floor to a clean, open, porous, and accepting surface. Additional benefit is that it's a dry process where some epoxy systems are sensitive to substrate moisture content.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:18 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
You are right, a ground or blasted surface is best, but for most do it yourself projects, that's not an option. But if you want a true epoxy coating that will last forever, a pro can do the correct prep and installation and it will last. But it will be more than the $75 kit!

Old 10-28-2014, 04:14 AM

Location: 4 Springfield St. Fifth Floor Three Rivers, MA 01080 USA
10 posts, read 11,250 times
Thanks for replying to my question. And I am really sorry for the late reply. Actually I met with an accident and was hospitalized. Now, I am feeling better and in a good condition. I have changed my mind of installing epoxy flooring.

Thanks

Old 10-29-2014, 08:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
I went with this type of flooring. And you can take it with you if you move.

Race Deck Garage Flooring, Race Deck Garage Floor Tiles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House