Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 08:12 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,697,737 times

Advertisements

So, an installed generator is about 8K installed? You will use it about once a decade. Why not just go on a fun vacation once a decade with that 8K?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 08:17 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,794,828 times
Any EE should know how to wire the darn universal thing :-) Going the universal route just buys you time to research but if you already know what you want sure go with the paired switch that comes with the generator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
FYI, some generators have transfer switches designed specifically for their units. Generac is one such instance. This does NOT mean that you can't connect any generator to a "generic" transfer switch, because you can, it might be easier and cheaper (in terms of labor) with a "plug and play" transfer switch and generator in such cases.

But Ethanw is correct, a universal transfer switch will work on any generator as long as the loads are appropriate.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:28 AM

391 posts, read 425,153 times
I think you guys are going way overboard. I have a 10,500 watt portable gas generator and a transfer switch wired to my house panel. In the event of a prolonged power outage all I have to do is wheel the unit outside, plug it into the switch, and fire it up. It can handle the refrigerator, the AC and the television/computer just fine. Do you really need a water-cooled, natural-gas-fired behemoth for a residential home? We're not talking about a hospital here. How often is the power off for more than an hour anyway? Once every 10 years?

Old 07-18-2014, 08:45 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,697,737 times
I went and partied in Austin after Ike rolled through. I floated the Guadalupe. I hit the outlet mall. The city was basically shut down for days anyways. I had other friends that went to Vegas. I just don't see the point.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:24 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,268,363 times
We can't all leave - some of us are business owners who have to secure the business, coordinate with insurance, and employees...Others I am sure are people who have to stay to respond to other needs...line workers, city employees, utility employees, insurance adjusters, etc, etc, etc.

Its great that you have a job where you are not needed during a disaster, but lots of people do not.

In addition to the multiple businesses that I had to ensure were ok and secure after the storm, I had multiple rental properties where the tenants left town that also needed to be checked on.

So those generators and that money may seem pointless to you, but to others, it keeps us comfortable and informed during periods where we MUST be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
I went and partied in Austin after Ike rolled through. I floated the Guadalupe. I hit the outlet mall. The city was basically shut down for days anyways. I had other friends that went to Vegas. I just don't see the point.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:39 AM

98 posts, read 196,863 times
Thank you again everyone for all the invaluable information, this is really helpful. I think we have enough to make a decision now.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:06 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,794,828 times
Agree, but for few extra $$$ I got the whole house covered so 20K was a must for me. With two HVAC units, 5 and 4 tons, plus the other crap it all adds up. The test run once a month and when in need it switches over in seconds, all transparent to me.
But yes you could do it with less and on a budget as well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
I think you guys are going way overboard. I have a 10,500 watt portable gas generator and a transfer switch wired to my house panel. In the event of a prolonged power outage all I have to do is wheel the unit outside, plug it into the switch, and fire it up. It can handle the refrigerator, the AC and the television/computer just fine. Do you really need a water-cooled, natural-gas-fired behemoth for a residential home? We're not talking about a hospital here. How often is the power off for more than an hour anyway? Once every 10 years?

Old 07-18-2014, 01:04 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
I'm using a Honda EU6500is that I converted over to natural gas. It runs all my essentials plus a portable AC that would go in the master bedroom.

Quote:
Since I'm in IT, I need to stay following a hurricane. With my 2 young kids, not having power would be essentially torture on me. I bought my generator setup with the same hopes as when I purchase my health, auto and home insurance. I hope I never have to use it, but I don't mind paying for the peace of mind.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:59 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,237,559 times
Quote:
So, an installed generator is about 8K installed? You will use it about once a decade. Why not just go on a fun vacation once a decade with that 8K?
Quote:
Quote:
The question was not "should I spend MY money on a generator", it was asking about pre-installation.

But thanks anyway.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:22 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
NOT Houston related. Moved to House Forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
View detailed profiles of: