Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 07:15 AM

126 posts, read 301,590 times

Advertisements

we are moving to a 14yrs old house. The carpet is never changed in last 14yrs. However, it is so well maintained that it is as clean as a new carpet except some tear in heavy traffic area. It is a lot of money to replace the carpet, but we need to make the decision before we move in. We have two 3 AND 6 yrs kid.W
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 07:24 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Fourteen year old carpet? It must be a good quality, if the only thing you see is wear in traffic areas. That said, you will need to figure out whether you'd rather let the kids have their messy years on old carpet or new. New carpet will clean easier, but you will definitely be more conscious of the kid spills.

There's no definitive answer, really. It just depends on what you want out of your carpet.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:27 AM

126 posts, read 301,590 times
Yes, my only concern is that can 14 yrs old carpet be very dirty and hiding lots of germs that is unhealthy to kids. My kids gets cough every time they catch a cold. I guess the whole family is weak in respiratory system. However not that bad to be very allergic to something.Just wondering can 14yrs old carpet can be that dirty?

Old 07-21-2014, 08:34 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Yes!

Carpet may LOOK in good condition, but it holds so much stuff that you don't want your kids in contact with: mold, dust mites, hairs and dander, human and pet body fluids, and insect parts.

I used to work with the local police force, and after that experience with their UV light, there is NO way I would keep the previous owner's carpet, especially after 14 years and especially as much as 3- and 6-year-olds play on the floor.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:49 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Replace it. When we moved into our home the basement was finished with very nice carpet. It suit our needs and yes, some areas were a little worn but nothing terrible. The carpet was of good quality, nice thick pad and free of stains. I also liked the color. I would say the carpet was about 12 yrs old.

Then one of my dogs started having accidents in the basement about 2 yrs after we moved in. It seemed odd to me she was drawn to the basement only (well at first, long story). Then the male dog decided to mark down there as well. It became a battle. If the basement door was left open, the dogs made a beeline. This was pretty problematic because I started working from home and that is where my office is located. After some time I could smell pee and the carpet had to go. When we ripped it up, I was grossed out. There were MANY stains on the underside. Far more stains than what my pets did and in locations I had large furniture that my dogs didn't have access. So it then made sense why my dogs viewed the basement as a place to go. So..anyway replace if you can. I am not a big fan of carpet and for this reason.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:52 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flysinger View Post
Yes, my only concern is that can 14 yrs old carpet be very dirty and hiding lots of germs that is unhealthy to kids. My kids gets cough every time they catch a cold. I guess the whole family is weak in respiratory system. However not that bad to be very allergic to something.Just wondering can 14yrs old carpet can be that dirty?
Then I would get rid of ALL carpeting and just have wood or tile floors.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:30 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
I would clean it and keep it until you are truly ready for the expense of replacement. I have seen carpet last over 20 years without issue.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:41 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,826,941 times
If previous owner had pets, then I'd say replace... but if no pets and it looks like new, then why bother.

I didn't replace the carpet when I bought my place 2 yrs ago. House was 8 yrs old and previous owner had no pets. Carpet was in great condition, except for a 2 ft strip where the carpet has risen up.

I purchased a really good vacuum cleaner (Shark Liftaway was what I got) and it sucks up everything. The only thing I see in the reservoir cup is carpet fibers... no dirt. I vac all the carpets very thoroughly before moving in. I figure if it isn't stained, smelly or if the strains don't look worn out, it's really a waste of money to get rid of it. Plus, I live in hotels many nights a year and I'm sure the carpets are way way dirtier and I'm still here.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:42 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
It's up to you... replace if you want and don't let anyone sway you one way or the other.

We've been carpeting bedrooms and going with hard surface everywhere else... tile or hardwood.

M Grandmother paid a fortune for an all wool carpet in 1965 and the dealer told her it will last a lifetime... and it did.

That wool carpet is still in the living room and looks fantastic at 55 years old... no pets, little traffic.

When you think about it... people still use wool rugs that are very old... no one says toss a priceless Persian rug because of age...

Old 07-21-2014, 10:08 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
When you think about it... people still use wool rugs that are very old... no one says toss a priceless Persian rug because of age...
Rugs can be picked up and cleaned under, and taken to be professionally cleaned when necessary. Carpet is stuck down and dirt and gunk and stuff gets under the carpet, and the underlayment gets nasty if there have been spills and such, especially with pets and potty training kiddos.

I get the analogy you're making, but you can't really compare a wool rug to wool carpet except that they're made from the same material and durability is of a similar nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House