Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 02:57 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 05:11 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Some interesing choices...

I suppose you got some "help" from the folks at the big box store, huh?

Not a whole lot of actual kitchen designers would sign off on a dishwasher behind a range or lower cabinet mounted oven.

I beleive that is the 30" GE Cafe Series "free-standing" Gas Double Oven with Convection. Quite pricey, but not downdraft, not sure it is great idea to have five burners and no exhaust at all. Your Stove Just Needs To Vent |NYTimes

Placement (and color) of the beam seams a bit unconventional.

The cabinets are quite detailed. I don't think I've ever see two lower pull-outs side-by-side, what type of storage do they accomodate?

I am sure it will bring you years of enjoyment!

Old 08-15-2014, 05:14 PM

312 posts, read 686,201 times
Thanks for the kind words. The stove does not have downdraft. I considered a wall oven, but I am not sure I would have had enough counter space. Looking at it now, it might have worked to put one where the microwave is.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:18 PM

Just to clear things up, I did not do this myself. It was done by professional contractors. There was no way I was going to install a steal beam on my own.

As for the beam, I had no choice with the location. The outside wall of the second floor sits directly above. The stain is about as dark as I could get it. I was attempting to match the cherry cabinets, though it isn't quite as dark as they are.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:18 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Nice!

Old 08-15-2014, 05:52 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Love it~~

Old 08-15-2014, 10:35 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post
Here are the latest pictures. Cabinets, counters and backsplashes are in. Light fixtures are not in yet.

Attachment 134606

Attachment 134607

Attachment 134608
I love the cabinet color! Everything is really looking good.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I suppose you got some "help" from the folks at the big box store, huh?

Not a whole lot of actual kitchen designers would sign off on a dishwasher behind a range or lower cabinet mounted oven.

I beleive that is the 30" GE Cafe Series "free-standing" Gas Double Oven with Convection. Quite pricey, but not downdraft, not sure it is great idea to have five burners and no exhaust at all. Your Stove Just Needs To Vent |NYTimes

Placement (and color) of the beam seams a bit unconventional.

The cabinets are quite detailed. I don't think I've ever see two lower pull-outs side-by-side, what type of storage do they accomodate?

I am sure it will bring you years of enjoyment!
You are correct about the oven. I was able to find a retailer willing to price match the internet, so it came to about $2400. I was very limited in my options for an oven based on some of the criteria we had. My wife absolutely wanted double ovens, and we needed a slide-in for the island. That alone eliminated about 99% of the options. It was either the Café "free standing" or the GE Profile slide-in. I was leaning toward the Profile, but then we realized it didn't have the Roast/probe combination in the lower oven, so Café it was.

Those two lower cabinets are not both pull-outs. The one is, the other is a reduced-depth cabinet originally meant to accommodate a bump-out that would house the main sewer stack. That was relocated, but the wall still bumps out slightly to house the pole to support the beam. This particular cabinet company does not do drawers in their reduced depth cabinets. Here is a picture of the pull-out:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140815_231946306_iOS.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	134642

Old 08-16-2014, 08:25 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Yep, lots of trade-offs....

I have done a few remodels where the removal of a wall required beam and supporting posts to be added. It can add quite a bit of cost and complicate your choices for other parts of the project. I think you did pretty good.

If others encounter such an issue they might understand why some design professionals or builders would need to redraw plans once something like this is encountered. Some builders will say "I can do anything with enough money" and I have seen situations where this leads to ALL the plumbing being relocated to make a beam "disappear up between existing floor joists BUT that also comes with tens of thousands of extra charges. Of course these are the kinds of things that then can lead to an expansion of the project to include ALL the bathrooms being overhauled as well. This makes a $30k kitchen remodel into a $50k whole house overhaul!

Sometimes a skilled designer can actually be inspired by a something like the "discovery" of the need for a costly beam to "rethink" things in a way that are actually more affordable and can end up saving money, but each project really is different.

The OP did a very impressive job updating what was a much smaller kitchen. The look is quite nice, especially considering they went with a source for cabinets that is often not as knowledgeable (or frankly as price competive...) as some of the often options. I wonder if the total cost / value is competive with the neighborhood, but ultimately few people that do this much work are really going to be eager to sell. This is a "long haul" kind of project!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House