Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 10:38 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times

Advertisements

The old washer finally died a horrible gurgling death, so went and bought a new high-efficiency washer. This thing is going to take some getting used to. Uses a LOT less water, but it is noisy (motor noise) when washing. And, yes, I called the manufacturer service line and was informed it is due to the low water levels, etc of the high efficiency washers. Also takes 50% longer to do a load.

But we are on a septic system (common around here) so that is good. And the washer will wash a comforter when my old post agitator washer wouldn't. So I guess the trade-off is acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 10:43 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
What model did you get? Our HE front loader by LG doesn't make much noise at all and takes about the same, if not less, time as a regular washer.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:44 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Odd.
Mine only makes noise when spinning/removing water, and loads take however long I set them for (average range: 42-48 minutes, but can be way shorter if I choose!).

What make do you have?

Last edited by Pitt Chick; 08-04-2014 at 11:33 AM..

Old 08-04-2014, 11:05 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I have a front loader and it definitely takes longer. And the "timer" is kind of a joke because it can say it's got 2 minutes left but in real time according to the clock, those 2 minutes are more like 2 minutes of a football game and can take at least 10 minutes! lol! But I do think it's very effective at cleaning, and I presume it's also very energy efficient although it's the first washer I've owned in my current home/location so I didn't have anything to compare it to. And I do find it somewhat noisy, although that's probably because my w/d are in a closet off the main living area.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:36 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
Mine is a Maytag commercial top loader. Different operating from a front loader.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:23 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
WE had bought a Maytag Commercial top loader. The damn thing took an hour and twenty minutes to do a load with all of the "sensing" BS. Even at that our clothes were not clean. We tried all of the detergents (the cheap crap worked just as good as the costliest), all kinds of additives, spray cleaners for stains, boosters, all kinds of money blown on the pile of junk. WE had it less than a year and got rid of it Now we are VERY happy with an old style (they still make them) Speed Queen. Our clothes are clean, has adjustable water levels, water temps, etc. and it's done in 45 minutes on a large, heavy duty load. YOU control what the machine does by setting the dials. If it ever dies, and I doubt it does in my lifetime, I'll get a bucket of water and a rock. FWIW, that Maytag commercial and all of the rest of the grossly over price junkers have plastic transmissions in the new ones. Most are sporting plastic tubs. Speed Queen is all steel with a stainless tub.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:47 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
A few months ago before we moved, I was all set to buy a new washer & dryer. (HAD to buy a new dryer since the only one was gas and this one HAD to be electric.) I researched HE washers. I read reviews, etc. etc. None of them sounded good. I definably didn't want a front loader. I heard that mildew builds up big time in them. Also they agitate BIG TIME. Our laundry room is on the second floor and I don't want the ceiling in the living room or foyer to come down. (There is some beautiful molding in the foyer that is original to the house that I don't want to see destroyed by a washer that is upstairs.)

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYoOwYTp7J8

The biggest complaint which is the main reason why I totally dismissed them all together is that don't CLEAN! What go is saving water if the clothes aren't clean? I decided to forgo the new washer and just bring over my old washer. I am going to use it until it dies. Maybe by then they will start making washers that clean clothes again.

Cat

Old 08-04-2014, 02:56 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
LOL! I have has a front-loader for 12 years.
No mildew at all.
FLs do not have an agitator.
And my clothes come out cleaner than my old washer got them.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:04 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times
I recently tried a newer model with no agitator, and I hated it. Every time I ran heavier loads like jeans, towels or a blanket, it would go off balance. It shook so bad I thought it was going to rip the hoses right out. Then, you have to stand there until the lid decides to unlock. It was noisy too. Much more so than my old one. Gave it back and got one that isn't quite so "advanced".

Old 08-04-2014, 07:29 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
WE had bought a Maytag Commercial top loader. The damn thing took an hour and twenty minutes to do a load with all of the "sensing" BS. Even at that our clothes were not clean. We tried all of the detergents (the cheap crap worked just as good as the costliest), all kinds of additives, spray cleaners for stains, boosters, all kinds of money blown on the pile of junk. WE had it less than a year and got rid of it Now we are VERY happy with an old style (they still make them) Speed Queen. Our clothes are clean, has adjustable water levels, water temps, etc. and it's done in 45 minutes on a large, heavy duty load. YOU control what the machine does by setting the dials. If it ever dies, and I doubt it does in my lifetime, I'll get a bucket of water and a rock. FWIW, that Maytag commercial and all of the rest of the grossly over price junkers have plastic transmissions in the new ones. Most are sporting plastic tubs. Speed Queen is all steel with a stainless tub.
We spent a week in a beach condo with one of those, and it was the most ridiculous thing I had ever experienced re: housework. You almost couldn't wash clothes at night because it was so loud. It was enough to convince me NOT to buy one when my 22-year-old Maytag broke down.

I miss that old thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House