Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:00 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
As as spinoff to the unique features about your house thread, I started thinking about the features I don't like about my homes. I just moved into a smaller home with my gf, and I really like this older home I live in overall: it's a simple one story with an open floor plan. But in thinking about homes I've had in the past, there were a couple of things that I really disliked about a couple of them, some things I'd like to avoid in the future:

A. Carpet in EVERY room. I don't need to expand upon why it's dumb to have carpet in wet areas of your home.

B. Detached garages. Why on earth do builders build a covered garage for homeonwners to park their cars in, just for us to get rained/snowed on while we're walking into the house?

C. Swimming pools. Way too much work, expense, and liability with little in return. Also, they actually hurt your chances of selling your home in the future, even in Texas.

D. Dishwashers. I don't like having to wash my dishes in order to load a machine that then washes them poorly for me to have to even wash some of them again, unload it, dry them, and put them away. Hand washing is a lot less work for me.

Anyone else have things they don't like about their house?
I can only agree with you on carpet. I hate carpet. I only have it in the kids rooms right now and its only there until they get to be about 10 or older then its going to be wood as well.

Detached Garages are awesome - I have had both, and much prefer detached garages - usually get much better use of your lot this way. Current house has an attached garage but only b/c I was not willing to part with a huge oak tree in order to get the detached garage I wanted.

Swimming Pools are HUGE assets in Texas - I have no idea why you think otherwise. I have lived/bought/sold real estate for years in Texas, for myself, for others, and as an investor and 50% or more of the buyers want a pool, the other 50% or less dont want a pool. You don't get out of it what you put into it cost wise if you have it built - but when its time to sell they are big assets so long as they are in good condition. Pools are fantastic for families and family bonding...without a pool in the Texas summer, your kids will just goto someone elses pool and you wont see them again. My wife wont live in a house without a pool - Period.

Dishwasher - I think you are crazy. I can put a pan that I baked in, with hardened crusty nastiness in my dishwasher and it comes out perfectly clean AND dry. Its time to upgrade your dishwasher and not buy a $99 one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 10:31 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
I hate that there is no ductwork that takes grease laden air from the kitchen hood to the outside (this issue has been discussed in separate threads already). Other than that, I can live with pretty much all the other quirks and find a way to get used to it.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:35 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
I love my 112 year old house, and some of the features others dislike about their house are things I like about mine. (i.e. original windows, and somewhat squeaky floors)

What I don't like:
- No back door. The back porch was converted to a second bathroom, and so there is no back door.
- Dark and dingy basement. Someday, I'll take out the bathtub/shower from the downstairs bath, and put the washer and dryer in its place. I might also put a back door into this new laundry/powder room to fix the first problem, too.
- Small closets. I'm learning to live with this; it's a small price to pay for such an otherwise great house.
- I have a love/hate relationship with the aluminum storm windows. They help make the windows more energy efficient, but they are terribly ugly. Also, very few of them on the first floor open, so I have a hard time getting fresh air on the first floor. Someday, I'll replace them all with new storms that operate, and look better.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:36 AM

983 posts, read 2,542,705 times
Great thread..

Where to start.. Not having a window in the kitchen even with an open concept kitchen and great room. Not having windows in the bathrooms. Not having privacy fences on everyone's back yard so I am not seeing everyone's junk. Oh Gosh, the more I type makes me want to move again

Old 10-20-2014, 12:48 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
I'm surprised so many people have only one closet! That must make for a very full garage I love that we have a 1/3 acre backyard for the Great Danes. Unfortunately, it is also a lot of yard to mow (and area to pooper scoop). Thank goodness for riding mowers.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:10 PM

244 posts, read 248,215 times
Fugly sliding glass doors, plant ledges as far as the eye can see, and smoke detectors fastened to cathedral celings and over stairwells in such a way that even a seasoned Cirque du Soleil acrobat couldn't reach them.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:23 PM

335 posts, read 620,064 times
Our house in FL had a nice covered back patio area that was great to hang the tv outside so that my husband can sit in the pool, drink beer and watch sports all weekend.

This house has no pool and no covered patio. And it's expensive to put those in, as I'm discovering.

One of the previous owners converted the single car garage to a den. It's really just wasted space. Plus, I would rather the 3 car garage be together, not separate.

I wish there was more land in between neighbors. I miss having almost a half acre in FL.

Bellflower, I hear you on the glass sliding doors. Wish they were french doors like our previous house.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:34 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
Dislikes:
Facing north: sucks during the winter
Split entry: no foyer to great guests
No master bathroom: but access to the hall bath from the hall & the master
Wish my master bedroom was larger

Respectful/friendly neighbors
Remodeling has made it more to my liking.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:51 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
I don't dislike our current house, although having been a homeowner twice, with two completely different kinds of houses, I know what I want my next house to have.

1) Only hardwoods. No carpeting whatsoever.
2) A screened-in porch on the back of the house.
3) No fireplace anywhere.
4) No formal living or dining rooms.
5) No more two story house - and no basement.
6) Extended two car garage (don't need 3-car, just need a very long 2-car).
7) Master suite separate side of the house from the other bedrooms.
8) I would make sure my kitchen was an exact match of what I have now (a remodel we did in 2012)
9) Cul-de-sac only - no more main thoroughfare
10) South-facing (we are currently west facing and I hate it)

Old 10-20-2014, 05:04 PM

392 posts, read 919,700 times
Fun thread!
OK I'll play, too:

-no mudroom / foyer/ entrance area - you are spewed from the street into the living room. I wish there was at least a tiny extra space plus coat closet and space to put kids' muddy shoes. We manage, but it took a while to make a decent set up

-laundry in the basement - I know it is supposed to be an easier repair should the washer leak, but I would prefer to have laundry on 1st floor instead. just a "laundry closet" would work perfectly fine, no need for laundry room even

-no garage - attached one connected to basement and 1st floor would be ideal, but not possible in this house.

-I could loose one bedroom in favor of bigger living / dining room area, since we spend so much time there. it works as is quite all right though.

-I'd move the house closer to the city, but then I'd see my neighbors all the time whether I want it or not, so I guess it's a fair trade off

I'm pretty happy with the house it looks like. There were other issues but we fixed them, and manage to live with the rest, so it works
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House