Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:49 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,677,887 times

Advertisements

What exactly does the twice-a-year HVAC tune-up do? They companies seem to charge about $100-$150 per visit and I'm still not sure exactly what they do ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 09:53 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,245,461 times
I am not sure but they always clean the coils in the air handler and check the freon...other than that, it is a mystery!

Old 05-15-2008, 10:03 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Mostly Check to verify operation and change out the filter...

Old 05-15-2008, 10:58 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,677,887 times
So basically since I change the filter every two-three months, I'm paying the guy to tell me that my AC or furnace is working? And if it's broken ... well, he just tells me it's broken and goes along his merry way? Seems like a bit of scam to me.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:30 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
There is no reason for anything more than making sure coils are not blocked and changing filters. I would not pay for a check-up unless the system has failed.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:26 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,671,343 times
While checking heat they check for cracked heat exchanger. Cracks could cause carbon monoxide to leak into your house. There are a lot of other things that can be done. Ask the HVAC company what is included in their service. Remember that most of fee you pay is just to get the repair guy and his truck full of parts to your house.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:42 AM

231 posts, read 495,070 times
We have a new home (fall 2007) not occupied yet and signed a contract for $200 per year semi annual checkup. They were there a few weeks ago, for three hours. It's a mystery to me, but they checked all of the items noted in previous posts, as well as tighted all electrical fittings, thermostats, belts, etc. Most likely don't need to have this service for a few years, but if we have a problem, our name is at the top of the list and receive a discount for work to repair any problems. For .66 per day I think it is a good low cost insurance policy on the main system in homes.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:14 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,671,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbill View Post
We have a new home (fall 2007) not occupied yet and signed a contract for $200 per year semi annual checkup. They were there a few weeks ago, for three hours. It's a mystery to me, but they checked all of the items noted in previous posts, as well as tighted all electrical fittings, thermostats, belts, etc. Most likely don't need to have this service for a few years, but if we have a problem, our name is at the top of the list and receive a discount for work to repair any problems. For .66 per day I think it is a good low cost insurance policy on the main system in homes.
If you got them for 3 hrs for $100.00 I would sign a 50 year contract. In todays market that's a bargin. I do all my own work and if I thought I could get someone here, with a truck full of parts, for $100.00 I'd continue to watch old Perry Mason reruns while they did my work.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:38 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,984,086 times
The service probably varies deprnding on where you live. You can find out more info here..

hvac check up maintenance - Google Search

Old 05-16-2008, 06:53 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,453,111 times
Since it's a science depending on the competency of your HVAC contractor they are base lining your equipment to tell you when things could go wrong and when your efficiency is being lost. Good service keeps problems from happening when your HVAC co. knows what they should be looking for. It's up to you if you want to pay it......there will be no hard feelings if you decide you don't want to and because of maintenance issues something goes wrong. Would you go a full year without taking your car in for routine maint?

Observation: Some HVAC systems come very close to car prices yet people want to be so lack about taking care of them. You spend more time with your A/C then you do your car in most cases....no one cares till it dies on them

just for future reference 1 year can mean the difference in life or death for a HVAC system if there is a leak......that 100 bucks seems well worth it when the HVAC guy comes and says your units been running without ref. and it's has contaminated everything. it's not a clear cut case with saying I can go several years. Equipment minimum standards have changed and if your old system was less than that standard your going to see a very large unexpected bill if things go wrong.......same reason you buy a 4 year warranty with that laptop....but imagine spending 10 times that and finding out something is wrong that you decided wasn't worth it.

two sides to every story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House