Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 01:17 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Has he ever been under house arrest?

Perhaps he's a single person who should be in "the big house"?

Are you Nadia Marcinkova?
Haha! No, not at all. He just is extremely wealthy and lives on the water on the intracoastal waterway on a lot of land.

He was a huge developer in the 1970s-1990s. He's retired now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 01:29 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,823 times
I like having a lot of room. I have lived in condos and I like having room for different things. I don't like clutter, but I want room for my instruments, a wine room and space for a home theater. I don't think that a single person with a large house is strange at all. I am actually going to be moving and am looking for an even larger house.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:18 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I watch shows like Rehab Addict, in which they renovate big old houses, and I feel a real sense of comfort. I feel a pull when I visit old mansions that are open to the public also. They are so solid and beautiful. If I had enough money, I would not go for a big new house, I would go for an old mansion with lush woodwork and huge rooms...even if I were by myself.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:09 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I watch shows like Rehab Addict, in which they renovate big old houses, and I feel a real sense of comfort. I feel a pull when I visit old mansions that are open to the public also. They are so solid and beautiful. If I had enough money, I would not go for a big new house, I would go for an old mansion with lush woodwork and huge rooms...even if I were by myself.
Rehab Addict is one of the only shows of that type that I like. Even This Old House is often a bit too demo happy for my taste, but at least they can be preservation minded, if the owner wants that.

Sometimes I already feel almost like Ebenezer Scrooge when I come home to my 1700 s.f. house after work. So, I think that feeling would be even stronger if I were coming home to something like the Summit Mansion. But, I'm with you in that I really admire them.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:32 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,359 times
My sister lives alone right now (though she is in a relationship), and has a huge three story home with a very large partly finished basement. She actually has a renter living on the third floor. She likes it, though it wouldn't be for me.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:05 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,285,556 times
I'm a single gal who lives in a (relatively) big 3-level townhome. My home is 1452 sq ft with 3 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, and a full basement.

My neighbors looked at me weird when they found out I live here alone. I love having the space! I have a big weight bench in the basement along with my dog's crate. The main level has a formal dining room. I have my master bed, office, and guest room upstairs. I use all of the space.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:13 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
........as in not empty nesters and then widow/ers, but rather, just started that way.

Know any?

I'll get more into the pro and cons, the joys and guilts of this later, but for right now, this post is more here to received any questions from another topic in another forum.
I'm divorced, no kids, and I own my own 3-2 1820 sq ft 50s ranch.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:30 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,673 times
Single guy here

I own a 3000sf 5 bedroom house ( 53yo male )

I rent out 2 of the downstairs bedrooms to a couple girls for additional $$$

Great use of the space - they have their separate living area in the house and I get extra $$$ for the house payment Win - Win

Old 12-23-2014, 05:23 PM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Single guy here

I own a 3000sf 5 bedroom house ( 53yo male )

I rent out 2 of the downstairs bedrooms to a couple girls for additional $$$

Great use of the space - they have their separate living area in the house and I get extra $$$ for the house payment Win - Win
A couple of single girls hmm, sounds like a win-win-win....

That is productive use of space.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:09 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,930,862 times
We get made fun of by our friends quite a bit for our situation. We are 40-somethings with no kids (just a dog) and most of our friends are married with children. We have a larger house than almost all of them and we constantly get the "why do you need that much space" question.

Our house is 4,000 square feet, 5 bedrooms and 4 full baths. (~ 2,800 square feet is on the main floor - we do not have a basement which is rare where we live.) I can understand on the surface why people thinks this is overkill for 2 humans and a furry friend. They always ask "how do you use that much space?"

Well can't speak for others but our layout is like this:

First Floor
- Large great room in back half of house - Family Room / Kitchen / Eating Area
- Dining Room (in front of house on other side of kitchen - used a lot as we have a large extended family)
- Spare Bedroom #1 (In reality this is an office but I put a closet and attached full bath there, too)
- Master Bedroom

2nd Floor
- Spare Bedroom #2 = Used for guests (used ~ once a month)
- Spare Bedroom #3 = Used for guests (used ~ once a month)
- Spare Bedroom #4 = Workout room (used regularly)
- Man Cave Room = Empty now, will be used regularly once I finish it. This room is about 600 square feet and is reserved for my future man cave.

So aside from the two guest rooms (and soon to be man cave) we use nearly all the rooms regularly. They are all larger-sized rooms which is what we wanted. The house was originally designed to be 4-bedroom and 2-1/2 bath but it only cost about $10K extra to turn that into a 5-bedroom / 4 full bath house which I felt was worth it for resale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House