Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 10:09 AM

592 posts, read 1,480,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
So, without replacing any appliances the cost would be $13500. If you don't make the island and any new electric wiring then $10,000. No granite counter top but something less fancy then $6000?
I believe everything that you say is correct.
Even flooring can be done much cheaper.

You definitely could do a kitchen with laminate counters for under $5000, just putting things back into same place but newer. But my example is that "people" are also correct in that many situations 20k is the number. All depends on where you draw the line with features.

Examples:
While I dont consider ours high-end, but it does seem that every step of the way we bumped things up... but all still at the HomeDept/Lowe's prices and selection. Backsplash is a good example of that. Probably could've done something for a few hundred with primarily painted drywall, but then went to tile, then went to fancy accents.

And the granite.. was originally 2500. then went to see granite and fabricator and my wife loved another choice. Thinking it could only be 10-20% more tops we agreed to it " the store will give you updated pricing"... well little did I know it jumped 4 price levels and doubled. ouch.

Blurry pic attached of what I described (note the flooring extends to the whole level and was about $4000, so my totals above were 1/3)
Attached Thumbnails
Updating a kitchen: when do you need a permit?-kit2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 12:12 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,782,465 times
How about ceramic tiles for countertop. In my very old rental apartment we have that. I saw some older houses had that too. I like the fact that I can put a hot pot after cooking anywhere on it. Is this cheaper than granite?

Old 12-29-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
How about ceramic tiles for countertop. In my very old rental apartment we have that. I saw some older houses had that too. I like the fact that I can put a hot pot after cooking anywhere on it. Is this cheaper than granite?

Ceramic tiles are MUCH cheaper. I did it on a basement bar in our old house, and looked good.
Also consider laminate... old school but can look nice.

Chat with the HomeDepot folks about counter options.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:08 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,418,446 times
Quote:
Updating a kitchen: when do you need a permit?
If we only replace the kitchen cabinets and countertops, but keep the layout the same, then do I need a permit? In San Jose or in Milpitas. I am planning to buy a house, maybe a fixer upper.

The other thing, the cost. Some say "remodelling" a kitchen costs $20k. On Home depot website complete kitchen furniture quiet nice can be found for $2500.
White Kitchen Cabinets*at The Home Depot
I don't want my home to look like a millionaire's house, but like a normal person's home.

You need to check with your county to see what permits are required. Each county is different.

Are you doing the work yourself? That saves a ton of money.

You can save even more if you buy the stock cabinets on sale. Add some stock counters and you can have a nice looking new kitchen for under $3000.00 or so. Once you start special ordering anything the price goes up…and up…and up depending on your choices. Measure your kitchen and get some quotes. It's pretty easy to stay in budget.

My stepdaughter just redid her kitchen with nicer cabinets and special order counters for $3930.00. She had her appliances. She did have to redo the backsplash as she didn't like the first one she did.

"I have kept track of the remodel cost and here is the breakdown"

Cabinets $2600
Countertops $540
Range Hood and accessories $100
New Sink $150
Light Fixture $60
Cabinet Knobs $25
Backsplash #1 $160
Backsplash #2 $170
Backsplash grout, adhesive, and sealer $70
Everything Else $55

Total Cost: $3930

Old 12-29-2014, 07:42 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,511,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
I believe everything that you say is correct.
Even flooring can be done much cheaper.

You definitely could do a kitchen with laminate counters for under $5000, just putting things back into same place but newer. But my example is that "people" are also correct in that many situations 20k is the number. All depends on where you draw the line with features.

Examples:
While I dont consider ours high-end, but it does seem that every step of the way we bumped things up... but all still at the HomeDept/Lowe's prices and selection. Backsplash is a good example of that. Probably could've done something for a few hundred with primarily painted drywall, but then went to tile, then went to fancy accents.

And the granite.. was originally 2500. then went to see granite and fabricator and my wife loved another choice. Thinking it could only be 10-20% more tops we agreed to it " the store will give you updated pricing"... well little did I know it jumped 4 price levels and doubled. ouch.

Blurry pic attached of what I described (note the flooring extends to the whole level and was about $4000, so my totals above were 1/3)
Sorry about your experience. The locally owned, independent building supplier I just retired from would come in lower than the nearby Lowes on Kraftmaid cabinets (and comparing same manufacturer is the closest you can come to comparing apples to apples) at least 95% of the time. Just think, you could have either added features or banked the savings.

I don't subscribe to the idea that you can always save money at the big box stores.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Sorry about your experience. The locally owned, independent building supplier I just retired from would come in lower than the nearby Lowes on Kraftmaid cabinets (and comparing same manufacturer is the closest you can come to comparing apples to apples) at least 95% of the time. Just think, you could have either added features or banked the savings.

I don't subscribe to the idea that you can always save money at the big box stores.

Thanks!
But everything else worked out great... was just the granite snafu, and honestly I should have immediately called Home Depot after i visited the granite fabricator shop to get updated pricing before approving. They were literally cutting the granite the next day.... not entirely a big mistake as it does look great.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:12 PM

9,149 posts, read 14,782,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
You need to check with your county to see what permits are required. Each county is different.

Are you doing the work yourself? That saves a ton of money.

You can save even more if you buy the stock cabinets on sale. Add some stock counters and you can have a nice looking new kitchen for under $3000.00 or so. Once you start special ordering anything the price goes up…and up…and up depending on your choices. Measure your kitchen and get some quotes. It's pretty easy to stay in budget.

My stepdaughter just redid her kitchen with nicer cabinets and special order counters for $3930.00. She had her appliances. She did have to redo the backsplash as she didn't like the first one she did.

"I have kept track of the remodel cost and here is the breakdown"

Cabinets $2600
Countertops $540
Range Hood and accessories $100
New Sink $150
Light Fixture $60
Cabinet Knobs $25
Backsplash #1 $160
Backsplash #2 $170
Backsplash grout, adhesive, and sealer $70
Everything Else $55

Total Cost: $3930

That looks really nice for that budget. Looks nice for any budget really. What material are the tops? I assume Formica?

Old 12-30-2014, 06:48 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,418,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
That looks really nice for that budget. Looks nice for any budget really. What material are the tops? I assume Formica?
I think she did great and most importantly she "loves" her kitchen.

She ordered her countertops from Lowe's. They are Wilsonart's HD laminate series in Bianco Romano.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:18 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,782,465 times
I just heard from a realtor that if you upgrade the kitchen and "open the walls" (don't know what this means), then you must upgrade the electrical part and maybe pipes too to today's safety standards. Some kind of regulation or law. Now, that could make the whole thing much more expensive than it would be.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:28 AM

9,149 posts, read 14,782,569 times
That's why you should call the local building department in the areas where you are looking. They are the authority for what is required in your area. They are usually happy to take such calls as they typically are dealing with the aftermath when people have done work and want to get it inspected after the fact when they go to sell and a home inspector asks if they got a permit. Then it is a real pain in the rear for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House