Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 11:02 AM

22,572 posts, read 47,641,955 times

Advertisements

... and still no link to that large toaster oven that can bake two large pizzas at the same time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 11:03 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
... and still no link to that large toaster oven that can bake two large pizzas at the same time!
Yeah, I'm very curious about that myself! I have the large Breville countertop oven and it works well and even comes with a pizza pan, but it definitely can only handle one at a time.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:08 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,822,371 times
Always consider resale when you remodel. You can eventually decide that you'd prefer things that aren't really the best for resale. For instance, I am ditching the bathtub in the master bath for a larger shower, although there will still be a tub in the other bathroom. Some people prefer tubs and that would be a minus when they look at my house.

In your case, the majority of buyers want that stovetop/oven combo. Plus a lot of buyers don't want to do any remodeling or have costs above the purchase price. So, by deleting the stovetop/oven, you are eliminating all buyers who don't want to remodel. What that means when selling your house is that you will get a lower price for your house (likely substantially below the price of installing a new stovetop/oven in your remodel) and have the house take longer to sell.

Most of the places that I have seen in Europe that don't have a full stove and oven are in city center areas where the units have small-to-tiny kitchens and that have a culture of shopping daily at small local markets/stands (the reason they also tend to have very small refrigerators by US standards) and almost daily dining out. There are a few big cities in the US where you can pull this off and if you happen to live in one it might be less of an issue, but the bottom line is that the majority of buyers want that stovetop/oven combo.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:15 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
OP has a separate cooktop.
My bad, I missed that.

So now it boils down to (hahah) a cooktop plus a BUILT IN "large" toaster oven??? Even a sillier proposition.

AFAIK, toaster ovens aren't built to be built in. Heat dissipation and electrical would concern me. And perhaps it's just me but the toaster ovens I've had over my lifetime have gotten progressively crappier.

Everything the OP thinks is cutting edge could be satisfied with a simple, fully-functional 24" stove. Plenty of people get by with that. Modest size burners on top, modest size oven below.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:28 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I'm just wondering how practical this would be. Most of the remodeling shows make it seem like everyone is a master chef that needs a huge commercial oven. My girlfriend and I are far from it. Heck, in my family, I only know of one aunt that likes to bake a lot. Most of us are on the go too much to spend hours in the kitchen. When we do use the oven, it's never for anything bigger than a medium/large pizza. Once in a blue moon we'll make a small batch of brownies or cookies. We use our cooktop/microwave a lot and we eat out 3-4x/week. The only meals we could possibly have time to prepare in the oven are on the weekends, but who wants to spend any part of the weekend in the kitchen? Now for those with 5-6+ people in the house, sure - a large oven is probably needed.

One can buy a very large toaster oven for $100 that's big enough to cook two large pizzas or even a whole chicken. Therefore, it seems like for many people a huge oven is a waste of space. Aesthetically, it seems like all the nice looking ovens are over $1000. That's a lot to pay for something that's rarely used, prone to breaking and expensive to fix. IMO, eliminating the oven also gives the kitchen a cleaner more streamlined appearance.

What say you?
Don't do it. Just get an oven and use it for storage. It's much easier than adding one in afterwards.

We use our oven maybe 1 or 2 times a month (max), but use our toaster oven 1-5 times a day (it's a Breville and awesome BTW), but the kitchen would look strange and make the house harder to eventually sell without an oven.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:50 AM

335 posts, read 619,834 times
Quote:
I'm just wondering how practical this would be.

One can buy a very large toaster oven for $100 that's big enough to cook two large pizzas or even a whole chicken.

What say you?
When I was searching for a new toaster oven, I had a hard time finding one less than $!00, let alone one that would be considered large enough to cook 2 large pizzas. I'd still like to see what you are talking about.

You also ask how practical this would be - most have said it would kill your resale value, or make your home harder to sell, then you said to take that off the table. So why do you care if it's practical? If that's what you want, then go ahead and do it! You apparently are just thinking about how your life is today and not anytime in the future.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:07 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times
Speaking as a long time real estate broker that did some developing and building houses and apartments, that when a home goes on the market without an oven except for a large toaster oven, you will lose about 95% of the potential buyers for putting an unconventional home on the market, and will eliminate all families. And offers you get for the home, will be quite a little below the cost to have put in a conventional oven.

We are a couple in our 80s, and have both a large conventional oven, and a top end large toaster oven, and there are times the large conventional oven is the only one to use. Especially if we have company.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:25 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yeah, I'm very curious about that myself! I have the large Breville countertop oven and it works well and even comes with a pizza pan, but it definitely can only handle one at a time.
I have the same one, I think (Breville Smart Oven). It's great... as a supplement to my 'real' oven. I mainly use it for reheating leftovers or heating up frozen foods as well as making toast or toasting bagels. I also use it when I have dinner parties or at the holidays when I'm doing a lot of cooking and need additional oven space. And to caramelize the tops of creme brûlée. But I could never use it exclusively instead of my big oven.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:51 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,931,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
So you have no family? You NEVER host a holiday meal? Ever?

Clearly you've never had a good quality roasted Prime Rib Roast. It is the food of the gods.

(I find it kind of funny that you tell me that eating meat is bad for my health; yet you argue that eating out daily (not good food for $15 for 2 of you!) or making pizzas is somehow healthier.....not so much!)

Last night I cooked for 2 of us...made a roast chicken, roast veggies, and baked a loaf of bread. I never could have made that in anything smaller.
Never cook for family. The only time we cook for each other is on Christmas when everyone brings 1-2 dishes. No one I know cooks for large groups of people...certainly none my age.

I'm not preaching that eating meat is bad...just that eating THAT much meat is probably bad. And eating out doesn't have to be unhealthy. Even pizza doesn't have to be unhealthy...it can be prepared raw vegan. Regardless, this is beside the point. I don't cook more than the capacity of a toaster oven. I'm wondering why roast chicken, veggies and bread couldn't be made in a toaster oven?

Old 01-22-2015, 03:54 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,740 times
Quote:
Never cook for family. The only time we cook for each other is on Christmas when everyone brings 1-2 dishes. No one I know cooks for large groups of people...certainly none my age.

I don't cook more than the capacity of a toaster oven.
Which is why it's cool for you to do what you want in your kitchen. It's not necessarily indicative of the world at large. You don't need strangers' permission to cook/eat the way you want.

Quote:
I'm wondering why roast chicken, veggies and bread couldn't be made in a toaster oven?
They can...one at a time. Slowly-ish. That's really what you're asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House