Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 03:44 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times

Advertisements

I'm going to go with "forced by wanting to sell and not wanting to wait for a buyer who was willing to overlook all of the identified deficiencies and who was either a cash buyer or who had a lender also willing to overlook these deficiencies"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 05:51 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I don't know- you tell me. You're the RE agent.

Just repeating a story as told to me- and my understanding of the disclosure statement/law(?)
Just asking, cause I never heard a seller being forced to fix a thing. As the last post said maybe if the seller wants current buyer or a FHA or VA or any loan when lender insists on something being fixed or the loan wont be approved. I was just wondering....

Old 02-08-2015, 06:51 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Grammar Nazi Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Forced by who?
by whom

Old 02-08-2015, 07:29 PM

274 posts, read 353,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I noticed that the "general consciences" is "shoot for the moon"! Maybe the seller will cave and everything on the "list" will be taken care of.
I had a buyer who did this, and it backfired on her. Although I was eager to sell within my timeframe, and didn't want to start over with another buyer/escrow, the buyer's excessively long and petty 'fix' list was a red flag to me that she was going to be difficult.

So, although there were a few simple and relatively inexpensive items which I would've taken care of had the list as a whole not been so absurd, I decided to say NO to everything and was prepared for her to walk. Told my realtor I would do nothing, and if she didn't want the house as-is (I had had 4 offers the first week), then best we know now so we could move on to another buyer.

I said NO - she said OK - and we proceeded. Even so, she made escrow hell in other ways, and the red flag turned out to be prescient. We ended up closing at above asking, but I still regret the experience and selling to her.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:21 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
We had two items the seller "had" to do in order to complete the sale. One was to cleanup the wiring in the panel since it was not really best and tidy, simple task. The other was to have the heat/AC services. Done as well.

Unless your asking for a new roof or serious money off the home for major work then I don't see any issue with asking for minor things per the inspectors recommendations.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:48 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
I have sold several homes and haven't been asked to repair or replace anything. We did have a weird experience with our first home sale. The buyers were young. The husband and wife seemed ill matched. She was friendly and articulate. Her husband was a big goof and didn't seem very bright. He asked if it would be okay to put in the contract that we leave behind our Sega game system (anyone remember those?). We said no. I remember when they came for the first showing his wife was really looking over the house and he was looking over our Sega. :roll eyes: I heard they divorced not too long after buying the house.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:35 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
My first would tell people they should leave their classic car. And he was serious! (We also divorced a few years later)

The only thing I ever wanted someone to leave was a great looking wrought iron fence that had been dismantled. We didn't get the house though - see car comment above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House