Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 03:03 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,776,020 times

Advertisements

I was in the interview and the guy asked toward the end-"Are you working now?"

It was stated as CLEAR AS DAY on my resume that I stopped working in January of 2009. My resume was in front of his face during the interview and he still asked if I'm employed? This has happened on every Job interview I had AFTER the month of January and I can't figure out why.

Far as the interview it was about a hour and afterwards he wanted me to meet the HR person so she can explain the benefits to me. But after hearing more about the job, It appears I may not be a good fit especially when he asked-"do you have a car?" I said no and he then sad-"oh well it's not that big of a deal some of our staff don't have cars" But the job does require a lot of traveling and I think it should have been mentioned in the ad. So as for now, I will continue to prepare for my other job interviews for next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 03:21 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,466,471 times
In a word: laziness. Sometimes they just don't bother to read your resume, even though it's right in front of their face. I've experienced the same thing, and had to make a conscious effort not to ask them why they can't be bothered.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
In a word: laziness. Sometimes they just don't bother to read your resume, even though it's right in front of their face. I've experienced the same thing, and had to make a conscious effort not to ask them why they can't be bothered.
Instead of July 2005-January 2009 for my recent job, i should just put

July 2005-LAID OFF in January of 2009

LOL, damm what else do I have to do??

Old 03-19-2009, 03:35 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,232,266 times
TVandSportsGuy ~

Don't consider it dead in the water yet. It was a long time ago but in my last job hunting phase I was offered a couple of jobs where they hoped for someone who had a car. I don't drive at all; however, I explained how I could get the job with alternatives.

I will say this, though: Those who rely on mass-transit are not always the most punctual. When my husband ran a store he had a helluva time with transit riders who consistently ran late because they were too lazy to catch the earlier schedules. It's a pain here because a lot of busses run only once every half-hour. But still . . .

Old 03-19-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
TVandSportsGuy ~

Don't consider it dead in the water yet. It was a long time ago but in my last job hunting phase I was offered a couple of jobs where they hoped for someone who had a car. I don't drive at all; however, I explained how I could get the job with alternatives.

I will say this, though: Those who rely on mass-transit are not always the most punctual. When my husband ran a store he had a helluva time with transit riders who consistently ran late because they were too lazy to catch the earlier schedules. It's a pain here because a lot of busses run only once every half-hour. But still . . .

Well he said it wasn't a big deal and seemed like he was going to have me traveling to the part of philly that I'm familiar with but I'm just not a fan of that type of job. I would be more interested in a IN HOUSE position where he is rather than traveling around the city. I wish they had put TRAVELING was a part of the job in the ad because if they did I would not have replied.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:41 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,175,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well he said it wasn't a big deal and seemed like he was going to have me traveling to the part of philly that I'm familiar with but I'm just not a fan of that type of job. I would be more interested in a IN HOUSE position where he is rather than traveling around the city. I wish they had put TRAVELING was a part of the job in the ad because if they did I would not have replied.
Perhaps if they put down the truth about travel NOBODY would have responded.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:43 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,627,787 times
Quote:
Did they mention how often you would be required to travel? I interviewed for a job last year that told me I was required to travel to their Westchester office (I am in NYC, which is about 45 minutes away), which I was not too happy about, but then when I asked how often would I need to go, the manager said not often - only about once or twice a month, which is no big deal for me.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Perhaps if they put down the truth about travel NOBODY would have responded.

True, but by not putting it in there and then interviewing a candidate you want to hire, you have not acomplished anything because that candidate may not want to travel.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:45 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,175,829 times
Quote:
True, but by not putting it in there and then interviewing a candidate you want to hire, you have not acomplished anything because that candidate may not want to travel.
They are hoping they will get someone desperate and hungry enough to travel anyway.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:47 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,102,503 times
Quote:
I was in the interview and the guy asked toward the end-"Are you working now?"

It was stated as CLEAR AS DAY on my resume that I stopped working in January of 2009. My resume was in front of his face during the interview and he still asked if I'm employed? This has happened on every Job interview I had AFTER the month of January and I can't figure out why.

Far as the interview it was about a hour and afterwards he wanted me to meet the HR person so she can explain the benefits to me. But after hearing more about the job, It appears I may not be a good fit especially when he asked-"do you have a car?" I said no and he then sad-"oh well it's not that big of a deal some of our staff don't have cars" But the job does require a lot of traveling and I think it should have been mentioned in the ad. So as for now, I will continue to prepare for my other job interviews for next week.

aahhhhh.... I am amazed you so self-composed. If a job requires a car or requires a lot of traveling, then they should have put that in the ad, instead of misleading.

However, I have heard that a lot of social workers start out in the field. For ex. like Schoh workers, etc...

again good luck for next week!

p.s. And i dont' understand, unless they are at a loss of words...why they ask you if you are working...if your resume says feb. 2005 to jan. 2009.

I am also aghast at some of these employers who pay pennies and then say you are not allowed to work part-time somewhere else. Jesus!! It is not their business if you work a part-time job or go to school or dance on the roof on your own time, as long as do your job and show up and on time...;-)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search