Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 06:19 AM

530 posts, read 667,093 times

Advertisements

Why do I get the feeling there is no contract involved?

We just had siding and leaders and gutters installed on our house and after extensive research, we decided not to go with private people because we could not track down others for whom they had worked. We are fed up with waiting for local people to show up, if they feel like it, to do jobs. In one case, someone in our community told us he would come to our house to check on what we needed to be done and we waited four years. Needless to say, someone else did the job. That someone else was very good but I stood and watched every second of the job. When the time came to install (in this case) my deck, it wasn't flashed....I had him take off the section and flash it. If I had not been there watching I would never have known what wasn't being done. I would have had a repeat of an old story - no flashing - deck rots off and through house.
Now, when we need something done, we go to a big box store. They send people when they say they will send people and they guarantee and follow up on jobs. We are paying more, we are well aware of that, but we also have the luxury of paying it out, in the case of our siding and leaders and gutters, two years, interest free. That's a good deal for us. When we had the leaders and gutters done, I called the company and had them send me a photo of the color. I approved it and we were at the house for every second of both jobs. If it's an important job, why not be present to check on what is happening?
During this recent job, we stood and watched every single nail being driven into the house. We are well pleased with the outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 08:13 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Had a similar thing with granite. Ordered x color and vein and they brought something completely different not only in color but grain too. Made them pull it out and I stall what I ordered.

If you can live with the green you can always offer to keep it if they discount the job at 50%. It may be worth it for the installer to leave it and just discount it

Old 02-10-2015, 09:42 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
I had a roofing company back in the day when things were booming down in Florida. The supply house delivered the shingles and me and the guys started shingling and had about half of the house done when the owner came home and declared OMG that's not the right color! Sure enough he was absolutely right. We had ordered x color and they delivered y color. Luckily the supply company paid for the new shingles, but we had to rip off brand new shingles rendering them useless for any thing except for repairs..... That was ALOT of fun!

Don't let them talk you into painting the green gutter blue .... It can be done but it would never be the same.... Good luck.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:47 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
1) I haven't paid yet for either the Roof or Gutters.

2) we had, and the roofer agreed, that we were getting a gutter Traditional Blue. We had the paint done first - in the same color as the -to-be-installed gutter

3) gutter people show up and install a gutter (Green) that should of been fricken obvious wasn't the right color.

My stance so far is. . hey I ordered Blue, you install blue.

I feel its a little shady. . I mean the guys had to intentionally put up the wrong gutter, the color isn't even close.

am I asking too much?

what would you do
Unless I like the new color I would demand blue. I would not care if it was written in a contract as long as it had been specified verbally.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:28 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times
So I talked to the guy yesterday. he noted that he didn't know what happened, but they want to make it right. They will be coming out this week to replace the gutters. He did make a comment, as we talked, about the mistake. noting it was his fault/he would have to pay for it.

So I am getting what I wanted, the gutters in the right color!

It always helps to not pay until your satisfied with the work, I think. Maybe they would of resolved it anyway, but that check hanging over them was a big blade.

i was covered a couple ways, I had emailed him the right color color (with a picture) etc.

Thanks everyone. I got what I wanted. . .

Old 02-11-2015, 11:31 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times
FYI -
1 -company was highly rated on angies list, as well as BBB
2 - there was a contract, though when we signed it the gutter color was not picked
3 - emails backed up the color, selected later.

Now this company did take a LONG time to do the roof . . but it got done. The hail storm here was massive (Denver) so i'm sure they were very busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Why do I get the feeling there is no contract involved?

We just had siding and leaders and gutters installed on our house and after extensive research, we decided not to go with private people because we could not track down others for whom they had worked. We are fed up with waiting for local people to show up, if they feel like it, to do jobs. In one case, someone in our community told us he would come to our house to check on what we needed to be done and we waited four years. Needless to say, someone else did the job. That someone else was very good but I stood and watched every second of the job. When the time came to install (in this case) my deck, it wasn't flashed....I had him take off the section and flash it. If I had not been there watching I would never have known what wasn't being done. I would have had a repeat of an old story - no flashing - deck rots off and through house.
Now, when we need something done, we go to a big box store. They send people when they say they will send people and they guarantee and follow up on jobs. We are paying more, we are well aware of that, but we also have the luxury of paying it out, in the case of our siding and leaders and gutters, two years, interest free. That's a good deal for us. When we had the leaders and gutters done, I called the company and had them send me a photo of the color. I approved it and we were at the house for every second of both jobs. If it's an important job, why not be present to check on what is happening?
During this recent job, we stood and watched every single nail being driven into the house. We are well pleased with the outcome.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:32 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
FYI -
1 -company was highly rated on angies list, as well as BBB
2 - there was a contract, though when we signed it the gutter color was not picked
3 - emails backed up the color, selected later.

Now this company did take a LONG time to do the roof . . but it got done. The hail storm here was massive (Denver) so i'm sure they were very busy.
Mistakes happen, unfortunately. I'm glad the owner was apologetic and is rectifying the situation.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:37 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Glad you're hopefully getting it taken care of - on a side note, the BBB IMO is WORTHLESS!

Old 02-13-2015, 06:04 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
I have friends who are having a house built in Dallas (where they do not live full-time). For every spec they changed at contract signing (which costs extra, aside from the credits they got for signing with the contractor), there is a change order issued in writing to the on-site workers. Apparently their super doesn't read them. It's crazy how many things have gone into that house that have had to be pulled out and replaced. Wrong flooring in several rooms; wrong granite in two rooms; wrong light fixtures in multiple places; the kitchen island is the wrong size, wrong height, and wrong finish, etc. I'm sure some of this stuff ends up being reused in other houses but you'd think the contractor would protect his profits better.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:34 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,871,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I have friends who are having a house built in Dallas (where they do not live full-time). For every spec they changed at contract signing (which costs extra, aside from the credits they got for signing with the contractor), there is a change order issued in writing to the on-site workers. Apparently their super doesn't read them. It's crazy how many things have gone into that house that have had to be pulled out and replaced. Wrong flooring in several rooms; wrong granite in two rooms; wrong light fixtures in multiple places; the kitchen island is the wrong size, wrong height, and wrong finish, etc. I'm sure some of this stuff ends up being reused in other houses but you'd think the contractor would protect his profits better.
You are correct. Change orders often get missed. If I was not at the build site every day or two, lots of things would have been done wrong. Our builder installed the wrong cabinets in our house, and they tried to get me to keep them, but I insisted on getting the correct ones. And they did the wrong back splash design. They kept the old cabinets stored in the model home for several months and ended up building an exact replica of our house as a spec home so they could use the cabinets. I think he built it identical down to the brick, paint and facade just to spite us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House