Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 12:41 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times

Advertisements

We are looking at putting in polished porcelain tiles in the house... in the kitchen and other areas... It has a Mohs rating of 8... There are no PEI numbers... Since there is a refrigerator there as well as washer/dryers... will these appliances scratch the tile if I put "move" them into place? Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 01:05 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Anything is possible- I'll leave it at that.

Just take as many precautions as you would with a wood floor. When in doubt, go overboard.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:33 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
One thing to remember is that polished porcelain will be very slippery when wet - not ideal in a kitchen or a laundry room either. And, sure, it CAN be scratched. It can also be cracked or chipped, particularly on an edge, which is why you want to be careful sliding appliances across it.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 04-01-2015 at 04:34 PM..

Old 04-01-2015, 07:22 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
One thing to remember is that polished porcelain will be very slippery when wet - not ideal in a kitchen or a laundry room either. And, sure, it CAN be scratched. It can also be cracked or chipped, particularly on an edge, which is why you want to be careful sliding appliances across it.
EXACTLY...I'm a tiler. Artist and also fancy designs for floors and walls.
Never EVER, glazed, polished anything or in a bathroom..Ugh, like marble in a bathroom like my
idiot friend. Never in a foyer!!!
Got a dog dish in there? There's your water!

I have chips in my kitchen dropping pans or even pliers nose first.
I could easily replace the tile and grout around it...but too lazy...they're not bad. I digressed.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:48 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,671,375 times
My previous house had a lot of porcelain tile in it. The people we bought from told us their kids roller skated on it! They also had two large dogs, and there were NO claw scratches on the floors whatsoever. There were three or four places, out of hundreds of tiles, where an edge had a small chip, but other than that, they held up beautifully. I do know that this was a high quality, fairly expensive tile. We loved it enough that we bought more of the same product and added it to other areas.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:22 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
Mohs hardness of 8 is very hard to scratch... but possible. Get some alumina grit (e.g. from sandpaper) embeded in whatever your sliding over it and you'll get a scratch.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:59 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Mohs hardness of 8 is very hard to scratch... but possible. Get some alumina grit (e.g. from sandpaper) embeded in whatever your sliding over it and you'll get a scratch.

Tom Cruise/Cole Trickle had "a Lumina" and it got scratched up pretty good! There WAS one good panel after a race until Robert Duvall's character put his foot in it!!!

Old 04-01-2015, 09:18 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
They also had two large dogs, and there were NO claw
scratches on the floors whatsoever. .
Right, dogs would be no problem.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:12 AM

271 posts, read 446,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
When I was putting tile in my kitchen/Morning Room (~600sq ft) I researched a lot of the density ratings. I decided on high grade rated porcelain (I forget the actual rating) but it was rated strong enough for commercial use. Four years later with a boxer and a lab and no problems on the tile surfaces. The porcelain CAN scratch however if the material doing the scratching is more dense than the tile. I do remember however due to the density of porcelain we choose that over ceramic.

FWIW I run across the morning room from my deck with boots on through the kitchen and into the garage all the time while doing projects and haven't noticed any surface scratching at all.

Your mileage may vary of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House