Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 09:04 PM

466 posts, read 644,173 times

Advertisements

We will be installing an under-cabinet range hood. The duct work is already in place with a vent through the roof. It seems to have been put in by the builder and left unused.

We just removed the existing microwave over the range. We found a hole in the wall looking into some sort of duct. It's rectangular and doesn't seem related to the duct work for the hood, which starts directly above the cabinet and is round. We can't tell for sure how large this duct is. I dropped a straw in it and seemed to stop before the top of the range. There is nothing but a closet behind the wall. Can we just patch this up before the someone comes to do the installation? Not sure why it's there, and if possible we'd like to paint beforehand. Any ideas as to what this could be?

Also, a contractor quoted us $500 to install the hood, which seems super high to us since the duct work is already in place. Does this seem reasonable? We thought we'd call some electricians; now we're not sure if an HVAC person should take a look instead?

EDIT: I'm sorry. I just noticed the photos are upside down. Please tilt your head or turn your computer over while looking.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing Range Hood - Help!-photo-1.jpg   Installing Range Hood - Help!-photo-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 06:21 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Rangehood has rear or top discharge. It's more efficient to discharge from top but rear work as well. You may need to change the configuration of the new range hood. What model is it? Look at the manual.

Last edited by sj08054; 05-06-2015 at 06:38 AM..

Old 05-06-2015, 06:34 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Look at the manual.

It's ashame when someone has too point out the obvious.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:03 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,794,210 times
How to Install a Range Hood

How to Install a Range Hood | Ventilation | Plumbing, HVAC & Electrical | This Old House

Old 05-06-2015, 08:34 AM

I'm sorry if I did not explain myself clearly. We have instructions to hang the new hood and it will vent out the top. That part is set.

My question is why there is an existing hole behind the current microwave looking into a separate duct and if anyone has seen that before. That hole is below where the new hood will hang (the new hood will be inside the cabinet - the microwave hung under it) and as far as we can see doesn't vent anywhere. It needs to be covered. Just wondering if there was any insight to its purpose since the microwave recirculated and did not vent outside.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:42 AM

621 posts, read 1,124,196 times
Call An HVAC pro to sort out the best solution.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninotchka P View Post
I'm sorry if I did not explain myself clearly. We have instructions to hang the new hood and it will vent out the top. That part is set.

My question is why there is an existing hole behind the current microwave looking into a separate duct and if anyone has seen that before. That hole is below where the new hood will hang (the new hood will be inside the cabinet - the microwave hung under it) and as far as we can see doesn't vent anywhere. It needs to be covered. Just wondering if there was any insight to its purpose since the microwave recirculated and did not vent outside.
That hole was where

1. The microwave was venting to or.
2. The microwave simply covered that hole when someone replace the original small range hood that was there.

I do question your statement that new hood will be inside the cabinet.. That's the confusing part for me.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:02 AM

Not the exact model but like this:

http://www.faberonline.com/images08/...gcristalhc.jpg

The hole I'm perplexed about is under the cabinet, and the microwave is original to the house.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninotchka P View Post
Not the exact model but like this:

http://www.faberonline.com/images08/...gcristalhc.jpg

The hole I'm perplexed about is under the cabinet, and the microwave is original to the house.
Ok. .makes more sense now since you are installing one of those hood designed for inside the cabinet.

The old wall location looks to be where the microwave was venting. You know those OTR microwave has venting on the top or back.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:43 AM

I think you're right and they just didn't use it, who know why. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House