Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 08:25 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,815,958 times

Advertisements

Hello builders - I've never heard this before. I'm investing in a new home and going through a volume builder. During the "design center option selecting" phase, they said they unable to put wood on the stairway and second floor. Not that they don't want to, but that they are unable to. Carpet only.

Yes I did ask why, but no I do not remember the reason, so please don't ask me why.

Does this make sense to anyone? I think it's due to a lack of subfloor? Is this basically saying even if I hire my own contractors they can't put wood due to structural issues?

Any insight and experiences would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 08:31 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,732 times
That's just them being "cheap" and saying no, it's not possible, so they don't have to calculate & quote it. Keeps their costs down because they can buy THAT much more volume in carpet and get a better deal.

We're building a home with a volume builder right now ourselves, and he does all the stairs in wood in our particular neighborhood. Our upstairs landing & hallways will also be wood. The upstairs bedrooms will be carpet, but we did have the option of doing hardwood if we wanted. But, it was just too cost-prohibitive for us at this time. The kids can deal with carpet!

I realize things can vary depending on your region, but I don't know of any structural reason why wood couldn't be put on stairs or second floor. They just don't want to.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:31 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,590,030 times
If it is a structural issue, that house has a weird structure. I have wood on the second floor of my house. It's been there for about 20 years with no problems.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:32 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
Could be that they have cut so many corners that it is impossible....weight, space, piping, electrical, duct work, subfloor, or????...that there is no way to install/carry the load. It could be something as simple as he doesn't put insulation between the floors and, with carpet, the noise is muffled. With hardwood, people would be complaining about noise.....and his "no insulation" short cut would be revealed.

Is this house already constructed? It could be that they have the carpet down, or the moldings in place, or other dimensional installations that putting in the hardwood would be quite a "project".

I have to say I have never seen a location where it "couldn't" be done. Not always "easy", but never impossible.

Curious what excuse the "builder" gives.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:43 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,732 times
ps....how could there be a lack of subfloor on the second floor? Even the carpet has to have something to lay on So, no, I don't think that's the case!

Old 05-14-2015, 08:44 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
The floor system they use may not support it, or they may not use the right thickness of subfloor for wood.

You need to ask more questions. I hope you have not paid in full.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:45 AM

524 posts, read 574,284 times
If I had to guess, I would say their problem is probably the stairs. Maybe they are using only cheaper prefab stairs, that are designed for carpet. Since they won't do wood stairs, they can't do wood on the second floor, because it would look weird.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:25 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times
I would NOT buy that house!

Old 05-14-2015, 09:35 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Yes I did ask why, but no I do not remember the reason, so please don't ask me why.
If you were given a reason- why are you asking here? We're not the builder! Whatever the reason, it's theirs- right or wrong, money, kickbacks, scheduling, warranty, etc., etc., etc. It is what it is! Either like it and close on the house, or find another (more accommodating) builder.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:59 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,815,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
ps....how could there be a lack of subfloor on the second floor? Even the carpet has to have something to lay on So, no, I don't think that's the case!
That's what I remember they said. Don't you usually need a subfloor on top of the structural plywood?
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If you were given a reason- why are you asking here? We're not the builder! Whatever the reason, it's theirs- right or wrong, money, kickbacks, scheduling, warranty, etc., etc., etc. It is what it is! Either like it and close on the house, or find another (more accommodating) builder.
Lol so blunt. I'll just email and ask them again

To everyone - Cost is not an issue (for me). Of course I know it's possible - I'm currently typing this from upstairs where I have wood in this house. Either way, I just sent them an email. This isn't a big deal for me as it's an investment home, I'm just curious cause it seems so odd and I have never encountered this before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House