Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 07:45 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
When I lived in the Midwest I had to cut my lawn every 3 days this time of year. Only once every 7 days in the hottest part of summer.
Yes,this. Once a week is the minimum to keep it looking decent. If the OP was cutting his or her grass,their neighbor would not have started doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 07:45 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Ok, as I suspected, you have been THAT neighbor. Presumably, since you have not mentioned otherwise, you were aware that under the terms of your lease, you are responsible for maintaining the lawn. So yeah, this is most likely a neighbor who doesn't want your laziness to make his neighborhood start to look trashy. Do what you are supposed to do, and also get out there and thank him for what he's done so far and figure out how you are going to handle this going forward. Maybe he's a nice guy who will be willing to keep doing it but you shouldn't just assume that is the case or take advantage of his generosity without at least saying thank you, and getting to know him well enough to be able to buy him a pack of beer or a bottle or wine or something.
Not so much. I only have been dropping the ball with getting it cut because, well, it keeps getting cut. (And like I said, things are a bit tight financially with us too) I look at it, oh, I should get it cut, let me call someone tomorrow. I come home the next day and the lawn is now cut.... so that's kind of where I was at with trying to plan this. I'm aware it's my responsibility, we have rented homes before, just been a pretty stressful move and something I pushed to the side especially considering someone has been cutting it for us.

Like I said though, I have hired someone to get it cut next week now.

And the grass does grow quickly this time of year, easily needs a cut at LEAST once a week. Two weeks and the grass is like a jungle.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:04 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
He is the lawn mower good fairy. As everyone has said, just ask him the next time he does it. He could have done it for the previous tenants and just continues to do it.

When I had my own home I mowed the field next to it (not my property) to keep snakes down.

Don

Old 05-20-2015, 09:18 PM

756 posts, read 834,380 times
Question Be Glad:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
This is the first time I ever experienced something like this.

My fiance and I just moved into a new rental home in a fairly dense suburb neighborhood. (Small town, but dense neighborhood with houses pretty close to one another) We have only been here about a month now, and someone has cut our grass three times. The strangest part of this is our lawn is one of the biggest on the block, probably easily a $25-30$ cut job.

We are very confused about this. I have seen the guy twice, early twenty something guy on a rider mower. At first I thought maybe it was our landlord's lawn care guy since he has someone that takes care of his properties and maybe he was cutting our lawn for us. Except the next time I saw him he was also across the street cutting a lawn over there, then he drove across the street and cut our lawn... maybe it's a neighbor?

I haven't had the chance to go out and talk to the person yet (obvious solution.. I know...) and it doesn't appear to be someone that my landlord has hired. Has anyone experienced something like this? What is going on with this?

EDIT: I have someone scheduled to come next week. If I see the other guy come again I'll go out and talk with him, but I'm just very confused this is happening in the first place... Any thoughts?

EDIT 2: Just in case anyone asks, the mystery person cutting the lawn is not even doing a complete job. Just a very quick 20 minute cut with the rider mower, missing a lot of smaller areas and not going close to our house. Basically just cutting the larger areas then leaving.
So? Be glad he is mowing your lawn. Because lawns are stupid.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:58 PM

13 posts, read 12,237 times
Except the next time I saw him he was also across the street cutting a lawn over there, then he drove across the street and cut our lawn... maybe it's a neighbor?

To me, that would be an indication that this person may very well be hired help who cuts several lawns in the same neighborhood.

I haven't had the chance to go out and talk to the person yet (obvious solution.. I know...) and it doesn't appear to be someone that my landlord has hired.

I don't see a lawn-care stipulation in your lease mentioned anywhere in your post. Why do you assume this?

I have someone scheduled to come next week.

Out of curiosity, why would you do that prior to researching and establishing what your lawn care obligations are and whether the landlord is providing the service for you?

... the mystery person cutting the lawn is not even doing a complete job
. Just a very quick 20 minute cut with the rider mower, missing a lot of smaller areas and not going close to our house. Basically just cutting the larger areas then leaving.

Another good indication he's the landlord's hired help.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:12 PM

219 posts, read 299,816 times
Why are you complaining? He's doing it for free. Walk out and ask him to come more often.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:19 PM

13 posts, read 12,237 times
Ooops ... sorry for my premature post. Just read that your landlord is not contracting this service for you.

Since you're not entirely satisfied with the current mowing situation, then perhaps it's best that you hire a professional lawn care provider who will likely do a better job. That way, you can ensure the outcome meets your expectations.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:21 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
When I lived in the Midwest I had to cut my lawn every 3 days this time of year. Only once every 7 days in the hottest part of summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Depending on where he lives, grass grows fast in many parts of the country. Once a week is minimum in our area during most of the season if we are getting normal rain fall. We cut our grass on Saturday, it's now Wednesday and is looking shaggy already. It's also best not to cut the grass too short to start or you will have to deal with weeds and a thin lawn.
Oh, it makes sense!
Here in the South the grass grows much slower, mostly after rain, so we cut it every two, or even three weeks in Summer.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:13 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
This happened to us here, the guy turned out to be a drunk who constantly showed up to hang out with DH who felt sorry for him (he was poor and trash) and nearly ruined our marriage. We had to put extra locks on the doors, he would just barge in and show up.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:22 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
This happened to us here, the guy turned out to be a drunk who constantly showed up to hang out with DH who felt sorry for him (he was poor and trash) and nearly ruined our marriage. We had to put extra locks on the doors, he would just barge in and show up.
I'm surprised you didn't just wiggle your nose and transport him to another place in another time... oh, yeah, I just viewed your photo... hiya Samatha! I so once had a crush on you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House