Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 01:28 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,772,415 times

Advertisements

Take a look at these homes....pretty nice!

The Lifestyle Collection - Choose A Manufactured, Modular and Mobile Home from Clayton Homes

And would someone who knows what they're talking about take a look at this page (on construction of Clayton manufactured homes) and tell me how this would be different from, or a lesser quality than, a stick-built home. I really like Clayton's floor plans and style, but would not want a sorry home....less expensive, yes, not-top-quality-but-not-lowest-quality, yes, but not sorry. You see, this would by my retirement home, or "golden age years" home....we might need it for 25 or so more years, and as long as it lasted that long, I'd be happy.

Clayton Homes - America's Largest Home Builder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 03:42 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,946,058 times
The sad part of mobile home is,like a vehicle you are on a value decline from day one.We are in this fix now,after 15 years banks very reluctant to finance if at all.Tax assessor's office would attest to this fact.
We have a 1997 Fleetwood in excellent comdition,structurally as good as any stick built home.We have lived in this home for 8 years.
Your only choice is cash or owner finance and the problem is no one has 20 percent down!!

Old 05-26-2015, 12:18 PM

So, no one has any ideas about the construction page and can address my question? This is not an ad! I am really considering a Clayton and want to know why people say they are built in an inferior manner from stick-built homes. The only difference I see is that it is on a steel chassis instead of a foundation.

I thought for sure all the MH haters from the other thread would chime in and let me know right quick. I really want to hear what even the haters have to say. I don't want to buy a big hunk of junk.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:34 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,960,568 times
I have a bud that has a mobile home lot and he sells Clayton. I haven't been in one in a while but Clayton is like buying a Ford or Chevy, it's decent thing but there's no fluff. Claytons are a medium quality house. Differences would be, the superstructure of the Clayton will be stapled, not nailed. While they claim 2x 4 construction, it isn't. You'll find a lot of 2x 3 and 2x2 for studs, rafters, and ceiling joists, most of it grade stamp free. A lot of the trim will be plastic or MDF. Door frames will be MDF and does not hold a screw very well. Some of the upper end Claytons use particle board door frames and that also does not hold a screw well. Most often the subfloor is made of particle board although I have seen some with OSB, a far better product for subfloor than PB. But that's not near as good as SUL rated plywood that is used in stick builts. Rarely will you find any insulated piping as it is installed in the living space. That's okay as long as the home is heated during extreme cold. Have a lengthy power failure and you'll find out how bad it can be. Most are going to come to you with either vinyl siding or a cementious siding on the entire structure. Maintenance will be high versus a brick home. Utilities will be higher if in a high heat area. There is no replacement for the 24" soffit of a house. That little shade on the exterior walls makes a huge difference in utility bills. The fit and finish of a stick built is a lot better as the MH has to flex going down the road or it breaks. Doors are an example with LOTS of clearance. For me, the biggest issue is that the MH industry uses materials that you may not find any where. Where will you find some of the plastic trim, for an example? Some of it is prefinished, where will you find it? That has been the issue with mobile homes- they are specialty item and once you own one, if anything goes wrong, it can get expensive, quick. Not many even know how to work on one.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:19 PM

23,615 posts, read 70,539,170 times
There is a Clayton manufacturing place about 20 miles from us. TrapperL is repeating pretty much what I've been told by people who work there.

RE: doors. Depending on the maker, doors aren't even installed until the home is on site. As manufactured housing almost always has forced hot air heat, there is a quirk that the return path for the air is designed to be under the doors. That means there can be a 1.5" gap at the base of the door, which conveniently eliminates most door sticking problems no matter how shoddily made.

RE: Soffit. If the place has six inch insulation, this is more of a cosmetic issue than energy issue. The chances of rain splash are much worse though, especially if there is decking. When it comes time for a roof replacement, it is somewhat common for people to extend the roof and even add deep porches or covered decks.

RE: Utilities. (Different brand) Our utilities on a large home have consistently been less than our CBS smaller home in Florida, even though temperature extremes are greater here. We don't skimp on comfort.

RE: Plumbing. Pex survives freezing where copper and other material doesn't.

I'll repeat the advice that the old-timer that sold us on our home gave. With a manufactured home, your per square foot cost will be around half the cost (or less) of a stick built home of similar size. What you are buying is a box (or two or three) with a lot of fancy decoration. IGNORE the decoration and concentrate on getting the best basic box that you can. The decoration will be gone quickly or you will want to change it. If the box is no good, you'll have a near total loss.

RE: Clayton Homes financing. I will say flat out that Vanderbilt, which is the financing arm of Clayton, is one of the most scum sucking nasty businesses you can find. A few people within a mile of us have had a Clayton Home, meaning that I have had to put Vanderbilt on our call block, because they would call and ask "Do you know so-and-so over on X Street? Would you go over and have them call us. We have an urgent message for them." The stories I have been told, and the articles on the net supporting them, make me want to spit at Warren Buffet. I wouldn't finance a hamburger through Vanderbilt, much less a home.

With Clayton, the only way I would buy one is used and available for inspection and at a deep discount. I would then allot money for repairs and improvement.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:29 PM

Thanks, Trapper and Harry....just the kind of info I'm looking for. (tried to rep you Harry, but apparently I've repped you recently)

I've thought of buying used, because of the depreciation, and then fixing up on it as I liked. Seems you would have plenty of money to fix up with, as used mobile homes are really, really inexpensive from what I've seen on Craigslist. My mom, who just moved a used mobile home onto a lot she owns (for a rental), says that moving one is not terribly expensive.

I saw one for sale not long ago that had the 2x6 walls, extra insulation, upgraded windows, etc. It seems like it was around $26,000. It wasn't extremely old, either....seems like it was between 2000 and 2010.

One thing I've thought about was putting some of those concrete "logs" on a used one to make it look like a cabin, but in reading about them in the other thread, I'm not sure the frame would support them! (I really would like a log cabin but don't want the upkeep of logs, nor can I afford one!)

Old 05-27-2015, 10:21 AM

"One thing I've thought about was putting some of those concrete "logs" on a used one to make it look like a cabin, but in reading about them in the other thread, I'm not sure the frame would support them! "

No, it would absolutely NOT be an idea that made sense. Manufactured homes have floor joists, but those joists rest upon the metal frame and primitive pillars. The ends of the joists are held by a perimeter board that is NOT load bearing in the same way as the frame of a stick-built. In a stick-built, you can place heavy loads over the foundation walls with relative impunity. In a manufactured home any heavy loading wants to be over the steel and pillars.

People have gone back and ripped out the perimeter boards, cut back the joists and then rebuilt so that the home functions like a stick built, but it is a big job.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:59 AM

4,192 posts, read 3,412,905 times
I see these ads and go, 'ooo, shiny, want!' So I understand the appeal. But....

From what I've seen here, I would not buy a 'manufactured' home unless you already owned a plot of land, and the home and cost of moving it was next to nothing, and you would only live in it while having your atick home built.

Buying a manufactured home may make sense if you live in an area that never heard of winter.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:14 AM

190 posts, read 286,855 times
Manufactured homes are built inside a factory - using **** that guarantee everything is square.

A stick built home can be shoddily built (depends on the quality of the contractors involved, can be subjected to rain snow before it is closed in under roof.

If you get an upgraded version and have it placed on a proper foundation - either full cellar or crawl space, I would not blink about the purchase.

Don't let the MH haters scare you away from a manufactured home.

p.s. - what in the world is bad about vinyl siding? Yeah I know - it ain't "wood" or "brick" like the McMansions.
IMO it is better - NO MAINTENANCE except an occaisional wash down with a garden hose.

p.s. - the blocked out word rhymes with gigs - but starts with a J..
PC run amuck...

Old 06-01-2015, 09:23 AM

I've seen older vinyl siding shatter when hit by a baseball. It can be fine for a few years, but the lifespan isn't there. Had to chuckle about the "never heard of winter" comment. There is a firm in Vermont making manufactured housing that has heating costs of under $200 - for the entire Vermont winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House