Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2015, 03:13 PM

584 posts, read 2,149,535 times

Advertisements

I think I may have florida carpenter ants. I find the largeish black and red ants here and there throughout some of the house in various places, almost like they appear out of nowhere. I find some dead and alive in one room in particular. And now I am finding what I consider a "pile" of dead ants, a ton of various ant parts (legs, head, etc) and these things that are pale beige that are about the size of the ants that are not hard if you touch it, (but don't know what those are), in one particular spot on the floor in front of a hall closet. I clean them up, and everyday I'm finding another pile in about a 1'x1' area on the floor and around 20 or so pieces of various things. Today I saw one crawling along the top of the molding that is around the closet wall. By the time I got out a stool to look up there, it was gone. But there is a crack/space about 6" long where the builders didnt attach/glue it all the way to the wall. I stuck a piece of paper in there and it disappeared all the way, like it didnt stop after the 2"wide moulding piece. So I'm guessing it went into the wall? Could it be possible that they are living in there and dumping out the dead ones? Could those pale beige pieces be wood? Or is it possible they are in air condition venting system and dropping out? Although I don't think it is that because air conditioner runs a lot, and (A) wouldn't it blow them all over? and (B) wouldn't it blow them frequently? If I do have them in that door moulding, what can I do? Do I have to pry off the wood? Or can I spray something in the crack to kill them? And then caulk it off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 10:00 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
We use and recommend this Amdro product. Works wonders.
AMDRO® : Ant Block Home Perimeter Ant Bait Granules : Overview

Old 06-10-2015, 08:45 AM

279 posts, read 544,599 times
This took care of my problem since the ants were in the roof of my shed. I needed a liquid to shoot inside the holes the ants made.

Bayer Advanced. Get More From The Blue Bottle.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:31 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,915,303 times
bgm,
If you are sure they are carpenter ants, call a pro immediately.
Carpenter ants are nothing to mess around with. They can not be in your home.
Carpenter ants will eat termites for breakfast.
Get a pro out, have them inspect your home, and have them get rid of them for you.
It will save you a lot of money and aggravation in the long run.
I have a carpenter ant story, but I'm not going to say anything, only that I truly
know what I am talking about.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:30 PM

376 posts, read 599,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
bgm,
If you are sure they are carpenter ants, call a pro immediately.
Carpenter ants are nothing to mess around with. They can not be in your home.
Carpenter ants will eat termites for breakfast.
Get a pro out, have them inspect your home, and have them get rid of them for you.
It will save you a lot of money and aggravation in the long run.
I have a carpenter ant story, but I'm not going to say anything, only that I truly
know what I am talking about.
While carpenter ants can do damage to a home, unlike termites who eats wood as a food source they only nest in wood. Damage from carpenter ants will usually not be as bad as termites. It's important to determine whether they are nesting in your home or just foraging. By your description looks like they are nesting in your home. You could try some DIY solutions first and if they don't help, call for professional help. If you live in a wooded area there is not a whole lot you can do to keep them out completely, but get some baits and ant block and you should be able to keep them under control.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:12 PM

584 posts, read 2,149,535 times
Ok, so before calling a professional, and not using real bad poisons, can someone tell me why these ants are dumping frass and bug body pieces out of the top tiny crack of the molding frame around the closet door? I have inspected everything, I may see 1 ant occasionally, watch it and it doesnt seem to do anything but walk back and forth and around in circles. I do find a pile that lands on the floor, because the tiny crack is in the very middle top of the door frame. There is nothing in the closet, wall, door, etc. The only tiny crack is the molding. Everything is very dry in the whole area, no leaking pipes, rotten wood, etc. There are no food particles as far as food. I keep it clean, dust, vacuum, etc. So my question is...this is a dumping site? How far away could the nest be? Could it be inside or outside? Could they be in the walls? or attic? And as far as outside goes, I mean, how would I seal up siding? Siding sortof locks on to each other and I'm sure there must be tiny cracks. I just keep reading that they are by moisture and food. But neither of those things are inside my house.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:53 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
Ok, so before calling a professional, and not using real bad poisons, can someone tell me why these ants are dumping frass and bug body pieces out of the top tiny crack of the molding frame around the closet door?
If you had a dead body in your home.. Wouldn't you get it out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House