Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 06:55 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times

Advertisements

Just received my heavy gun safe and it's now in the garage, behind that door, my cars pulled up practically to the door (more for parking mapping this day but still, there is that security function). Add to that, the house alarm system, the cars' alarm and club systems and what ever else.

Occasionally, I hear some people complain about how security cautious we have become, of how we go lock and key everywhere, that events have made us prisoners ourselves.

Perhaps so, but to me, it is just a way of life, a way of thinking, one way or the other. In the apartments, the guns were locked up in not a safe but a locker. There, I was taking advantage, well probably counting on it, of the camouflage security. Those apartments were on the low side of approval in this town, I've heard them nicknamed somethinghetto, and hence my camouflage was "Who living there would have anything to steal?".

But I moved and the camouflage, one way or another, was broken.

But, haven't we've always been like this? When my parents built their retirement home in the late 70's, they had a safe built into the floor in one closet. Through out movie & TV watching in the 60's & 70's, be it Batman, The Thief Who Came to Dinner, The Saint, it seemed everyone who was anyone always had a safe.

Besides, once burned, twice shy. The reason why the pickup has all the security it does is because someone tried to snatch it out of a parking lot once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 07:17 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Default That's why city living does the psyche such harm.

This kind of paranoia is new to rural areas, and didn't exist in the suburbs just a few decades ago. Heck, where I live now, up until about 6 years ago, people didn't bother to lock their doors at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Just received my heavy gun safe and it's now in the garage, behind that door, my cars pulled up practically to the door (more for parking mapping this day but still, there is that security function).
Just make sure you bolt the safe to the ground, or you'll come home and find somebody has hotwired the car and used it to yank the safe out and drive away with it in the back of your own pickup!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House