Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 05:59 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times

Advertisements

We have a walk-in attic that needs a ridge vent installed but because of numerous storms and such, all of the roofers are booked solid until at least next spring. Our handyman that normally does this kind of thing for us threw out his back and doesn't know when he can get to it. It's only a real problem in the spring and fall so we need something temporarily until then. There is a non-opening window in the space that faces the front of the house. We could take that out but I'd rather not. In the past we have just put regular fans in there to move the air. The door is off one of the bedrooms in the house so we open that and blow a fan out to the bedroom. I'm not sure if there is any other solution right now, but maybe someone else has some ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 01:03 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Well blowing the hot attic air INTO the house certainly isn't helping.

What kind of ventilation does the attic have now? And why do you think it needs a ridge vent?

And why is "it" a problem in the Spring and Fall- not the middle of the Summer?

Old 08-22-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Well blowing the hot attic air INTO the house certainly isn't helping.

What kind of ventilation does the attic have now? And why do you think it needs a ridge vent?

And why is "it" a problem in the Spring and Fall- not the middle of the Summer?
It has no ventilation right now. Our contractor said that a ridge vent would solve the problems. It's mostly a spring/fall issue because of the variability in temperatures between night and day. No, blowing the air into the house is not idea, but it's what we can do with what we have now. We do close off the bedroom and open windows when we need to air out the attic.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:40 PM

If the attic "has NO ventilation now" a ridge vent by-itself IS NOT going to solve the problem.

How old is the house?

Old 08-22-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If the attic "has NO ventilation now" a ridge vent by-itself IS NOT going to solve the problem.

How old is the house?

The attic space is about 12x14' that is really mostly an unfinished part of the 2nd story vs an attic space over the top of the house.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Temporary solution without getting too involved the only thing I can think of is putting a ducted fan partially in the window. Run the duct to the other end of the attic. Air can come in the other part of the window and circulate too the duct end at the other side of the attic.

You're going to want try and separate the outside air from the ducted air so you're not just sucking the same air back in.

If you don't have vented soffits as already mentioned the ridge vent is not going to help much, it needs air coming into the structure from the soffits to function well

Old 08-22-2015, 11:55 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
A temporary solution would be to remove the window pane and install an attic fan, or at least a good quality bi-directional window fan (a window fan set with two fans. One pushes air into the attic, and the other out of the attic). You can use a piece of plywood to cover the window opening above the fan's top edge.

Last edited by RayinAK; 08-23-2015 at 12:04 AM..

Old 08-23-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Temporary solution without getting too involved the only thing I can think of is putting a ducted fan partially in the window. Run the duct to the other end of the attic. Air can come in the other part of the window and circulate too the duct end at the other side of the attic.

You're going to want try and separate the outside air from the ducted air so you're not just sucking the same air back in.

If you don't have vented soffits as already mentioned the ridge vent is not going to help much, it needs air coming into the structure from the soffits to function well
The other "end" of the attic is the door to that bedroom. I'm not sure about the soffits. I will have to check and see what the set up is there. I'll double check with the contractor too. Maybe we need to put in a heat/AC vent in that room. The house is similar to this one.

The "attic" space would be in that peaked area where the planter box is. Our window there is just an octagonal window that doesn't open though. It is in the long range plan to finish that room off into a walk-in closet but not going to happen in the next year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
A temporary solution would be to remove the window pane and install an attic fan, or at least a good quality bi-directional window fan (a window fan set with two fans. One pushes air into the attic, and the other out of the attic). You can use a piece of plywood to cover the window opening above the fan's top edge.
That is a possibility if I can find a fan to fit the window. It is basically this window. Maybe I can find one that opens that has a screen???

Old 08-23-2015, 07:11 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
The other "end" of the attic is the door to that bedroom.
I'm not sure if you understand what I meant, you're not not going to do anything with the bedroom door but keep it closed. You run the duct fan from the window to near where that door is. That's going to pressurize the attic, that air has to go somewhere so it will go out the window if that is the easiest egress but it has to travel across the entire attic before it does that.

The point is you need a source of air and way for it to get out. Ideally you have a situation like Ray mentioned with one window on one side and another on the other side.

As I mentioned already if you need to use the same window for both your source and egress you're going to make sure the fan is not sucking in the air you just expelled. It's not great solution but better than nothing if you have the window to work with now.

Quote:
I'm not sure about the soffits
You're going to want to check that because ideally you want a balanced circulation. For example if you put the ridge vent and just opened the window most of the air from the window is going to go out a small section of the ridge vent. The rest of the attic is not going to see much fresh air.

People often make the mistake of blocking the soffit.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:44 AM

You still haven't addressed the "problem".
You said there's no ventilation, and the problem is Spring and Fall-

Is the "problem" no ventilation, or is it some other related issue you're trying to resolve? Like, there's excessive heat in the conditioned area(s) of the house? If that's the case maybe you should be looking at the insulation on the attic floor and wall(s); and the door (probably non-insulated and no weatherstripping). These things will do more to change the environment in the house than a "ridge vent". Especially since the house was built in 1940.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House